Solved Changing SMB Share password
Hi everyone,

recently I had to re-install my NAS due to a drive failure, I chose to use a stronger password but then I started having issue while trying to show share folder contents in Kodi. I always get Operation not permitted error.

Things I tried and did't work:
  • Changing SMB versions
  • Deleting the old shares and adding new ones (I didn't delete the old Sources yet)
  • Updating the passwords.xml 
Changing the password back did work, although this is not a solution I'm happy with.

Am I missing something? Do I need to remove the old Sources and register new ones? Will this fix my issue? I don't want to fully re-index the library unless absolutely necessary.

From other threads I figured out, the Operation not permitted error is usually related to a system problem (SMB versions and encryption), which is obviously not my case. It also looks to me that Kodi is reusing the old password regardless of what I type in the box while adding a new share. What is the correct course of action?

My Kodi version is 18.7 running on Android TV. I also tried installing it on my phone and it worked just fine there.

Thanks a lot for any help or insight.
Check also sources.xml in the userdata (wiki) folder (same one as where passwords.xml lives).

The old password may have been baked into the source URL in there.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2020-07-20, 14:47)DarrenHill Wrote: Check also sources.xml in the userdata (wiki) folder (same one as where passwords.xml lives).

Thanks Darren, I did peek thought the sources.xml when searching the settings (I also do remember seeing it on the forums, mentioning what you just did about older settings having the password there). I looked there just to verify, no passwords though, looks like I have the newer version of settings format.

To be clear I did restart Kodi after modifying passwords.xml, is it the only file where passwords are stored? Are there any escaping, I do have special characters in my new password and I didn't know if some special treatment is needed. Should I try alphanumeric characters only to be extra safe? Hmm maybe I'll just copy passwords.xml from my Android phone.
(2020-07-20, 15:51)shadow_cs Wrote:
(2020-07-20, 14:47)DarrenHill Wrote: Check also sources.xml in the userdata (wiki) folder (same one as where passwords.xml lives).

Thanks Darren, I did peek thought the sources.xml when searching the settings (I also do remember seeing it on the forums, mentioning what you just did about older settings having the password there). I looked there just to verify, no passwords though, looks like I have the newer version of settings format.

To be clear I did restart Kodi after modifying passwords.xml, is it the only file where passwords are stored? Are there any escaping, I do have special characters in my new password and I didn't know if some special treatment is needed. Should I try alphanumeric characters only to be extra safe? Hmm maybe I'll just copy passwords.xml from my Android phone.

Ohhh it needs to be escaped using URI escaping (with %xx), I'll retry and check if this helps.
Lightbulb 
(2020-07-20, 15:56)shadow_cs Wrote:
(2020-07-20, 15:51)shadow_cs Wrote:

Ohhh it needs to be escaped using URI escaping (with %xx), I'll retry and check if this helps.
Ok that did it.

Takeaways:
  • Kodi uses single password per SMB server (multiple sources on a single SMB, cannot connect to multiple accounts).
  • It is impossible to change the password directly in Kodi UI.
  • The password can be updated by changing it in passwords.xml
    • Kodi needs to be restarted afterwards.
    • URIs (which include passwords) in passwords.xml need to be properly escaped.
      • [font]Preferably use passwords without special characters in them, do be extra safe use alphanumeric characters only.[/font]
[font]Would you consider adding more human-friendly way to change SMB share (and maybe other) passwords directly in Kodi?[/font]
Thread marked solved.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
hello,

i think I have the same problem.

but I don't know how to modify file you are speaking about. because I'm using a mibox where there is no text editor
(2021-04-29, 20:28)iostrym Wrote: hello,

i think I have the same problem.

but I don't know how to modify file you are speaking about. because I'm using a mibox where there is no text editor

using xfile I can modify the file on my mibox but not an easy job

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Changing SMB Share password0