• 4(current)
Android Review | Ugoos AM6 Plus Amlogic S922XJ TV Box
Thank you for the informations and links!
Sound almost to good to can be true; )
Is that correct that minix remotes should not work correctly with that device?
What i read was about the a2 elight remote i think. I have a a3 remote from minix.
Would that work correctly?
(2020-06-07, 16:57)ragico Wrote: Arrived few days ago. I am really interested in Dolby Vision performance. Installed the RC 033 official dual boot firmware. Installed kodi leia 18.7 in Android, No Dolby Vision (any profile) is triggered but HDR. It triggers HDR 10+ on my Panasonic Gz2000 oled. Installed Plex from Google playstore and it triggers Dolby Vision profiles 4 and 5. Very good picture performance. Better than that of Nvidia shield pro 2019 on the same tv in my opinion.
Agree that lan (cable) performance should improve. Sometimes I must restatr the box as it does not play anything or plays in standard resolution, no hdr no dolby vision
Under  Android both Kodi and Plex do not play Dolby Atmos in bitstream passtrough.
Under Coreelec Dolby Atmos (passtrough) works.
I think that this box will still improve with firmware fixes and updates and probably will be one of the very best on the market.
At the moment I am happy with it.
A bit of time later, hows dolby vision and the box working out?
Did it really play profile 7?
(2020-07-22, 08:42)box4m Wrote:
(2020-06-07, 16:57)ragico Wrote: Arrived few days ago. I am really interested in Dolby Vision performance. Installed the RC 033 official dual boot firmware. Installed kodi leia 18.7 in Android, No Dolby Vision (any profile) is triggered but HDR. It triggers HDR 10+ on my Panasonic Gz2000 oled. Installed Plex from Google playstore and it triggers Dolby Vision profiles 4 and 5. Very good picture performance. Better than that of Nvidia shield pro 2019 on the same tv in my opinion.
Agree that lan (cable) performance should improve. Sometimes I must restatr the box as it does not play anything or plays in standard resolution, no hdr no dolby vision
Under  Android both Kodi and Plex do not play Dolby Atmos in bitstream passtrough.
Under Coreelec Dolby Atmos (passtrough) works.
I think that this box will still improve with firmware fixes and updates and probably will be one of the very best on the market.
At the moment I am happy with it.
A bit of time later, hows dolby vision and the box working out?
Did it really play profile 7?
I use only plex for DV and it plays ts profile 5 and 6 without issue but no subtitle and no dolby atmos should be selected otherwise plex stop working. Tried also kodi 18.6 and 19 prealpha and triggers HDR, Profile 7 in plex is triggered as HDR. DV quality is very good almost on a par with ATV 4k. Now I use the latest dualboot firmware from here: https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/tv-play...roidtv-9-0
What software do you use to backup DV discs?
Do any of you guys have a 3D TV or projector? If so, can you check if AM6 can play framepacked MVC MKV and/or ISO files in 3D? A forum member says it does, but I'm not sure, and if so, it would be only the 2nd AMLogic-based player to.
My Samsung TV can play 3D with shutter glases. Sure i can test it for you, if there is a sample and more important, if i have this player.
I can t order it, as long as there so many questions left. 
Here is another one: I`ve read that the player comes with a standard android and not android tv.
I have also read that only android tv should support netflix, amazon usw, with full hd and 4k resolution.
Can android tv also used with a full working  stock kodi on this player, or is there another way to use netflix and amazon in 4k?
And again: would the minix a3 remote work with this player?

regards
(2020-07-22, 23:51)hdmkv Wrote: Do any of you guys have a 3D TV or projector? If so, can you check if AM6 can play framepacked MVC MKV and/or ISO files in 3D? A forum member says it does, but I'm not sure, and if so, it would be only the 2nd AMLogic-based player to.

Tested on my Panasonic 3D plasma Tv and no 3D from iso/mkv mvc. Tested with kodi 18.7 and vlc .
Thanks, had a feeling the guy was probably just getting 3D out of SBS and TAB files, but his mention of straight 3D BD rips playing in 3D can't be right.
(2020-07-23, 13:10)playerdude Wrote: Here is another one: I`ve read that the player comes with a standard android and not android tv.

Correct.
It’s why you have to flash an Android TV ROM from the Freaktab website if you want Android TV Apps.

Quote:I have also read that only android tv should support netflix, amazon usw, with full hd and 4k resolution.
Can android tv also used with a full working  stock kodi on this player, or is there another way to use netflix and amazon in 4k?

You will only get HD / 4K Netflix and Amazon Prime paid for subscription video streaming Apps to work on Google Certified, Netflix Approved Android TV devices.
Ones that include all the necessary DRM keys and copy protection mechanisms.

None of the Ugoos devices have that.
You have to buy a Nvidia Shield, Apple TV 4K or a Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K / Cube

Quote:And again: would the minix a3 remote work with this player?

MINIX Plug n Play keyboard remotes work with everything.
They would be the most compatible remote you can use.
I see no reason why they would not work on regular devices like the Ugoos lineup.

(2020-06-10, 06:04)wrxtasy Wrote: Just get a Class 10 U1 microSDHC and flash it with CE using the free Etcher program on PC / Mac and then pick the AM6 device tree as well.
That is all you have to do really, it is not that complicated to setup Dual Boot on AMLogic chipset Android devices these days.

AMLogic Chipset Android devices long standing Firmware issues that have never been fixed - that surface when using Android Kodi:
(i seriously doubt most of these are fixed with any Ugoos device either)

1) half motion deinterlacing or full motion with stuttering video playback. Not good for interlaced FTA TV viewing with lots of movement like sports.
2) old VC1 Bluray Rips video still has buggy playback.
3) no Android Kodi Auto Resolution switching - great option if your Premium 4K HDR TV does it's own AI Super Resolution video upscaling (click)
4) HD audio & multichannel LPCM support is very rare. (I believe Ugoos have fixed these ones)
also
5) WideVine L1 DRM and HDCP 2.2 support is rare (unless a device is legit Google Certified Android TV - or expensive MINIX hardware)

The Nvidia Shield running Android Kodi has no problems with issues (3) and (4), (5), very rare issues with (1) but (2) - VC1 may still be a problem.
For the 2019 Shield is also has some limited AI upscaling for those that have old or cheap 4K TV 's with poor non 4K content video upscaling to 4K.

Except HDCP...
CoreELEC Kodi has no issues with any of that out of the box, the only things needing toggling if you have a HD audio AVR / Soundbar are:
- Kodi to Advanced or Expert (bottom left)
- Audio Output - HDMI MultiCH PCM
- Audio channels - such as 5.1 or 7.1
- Set your appropriate audio Passthru options.

The BIG advantage with CE Kodi is it's built from the ground up specifically for AMLogic devices to run 4K HDR10(+) Kodi with HD audio as bug free and fast as possible.
The are also a bunch of nice Kodi tweaks added specifically for AMLogic devices - especially HDMI CEC on the newer AML chipset devices.

W.
I did install the o.3.3 version of the dual boot firmware AM6_ota_0.3.3 from a USB stick but still got only four options in the power menu! Do I have to install or run more like a Dual boot tool?
(2020-07-24, 21:36)ASDned Wrote: I did install the o.3.3 version of the dual boot firmware AM6_ota_0.3.3 from a USB stick but still got only four options in the power menu! Do I have to install or run more like a Dual boot tool?
Estuary should give you a Reboot to Android option by default in CoreELEC, for other skins you have to edit the Power menu.
(2020-07-24, 21:36)ASDned Wrote: I did install the o.3.3 version of the dual boot firmware AM6_ota_0.3.3 from a USB stick but still got only four options in the power menu! Do I have to install or run more like a Dual boot tool?

In order to reboot to android, you have the use the reboot from emmc option.
@wrxtasy
Thank you very much for answer my questions and not let stand me in the rain!
If i only get hd / 4k with netflix and amazon on certified devices , then i don t need to flash android tv.
Then i go on useing this apps directly from my smart tv. There i get full hd (its only a full hd tv).
Also great to know that i can use further my A3 minix remote.
This informations helped me a lot.

Greetings
After 2 months, since my first review, and 3 new firmwares, Dolby True Hd Atmos passtrough in kodi and vlc still does not work. If you choose atmos track you will get dead silence, no sound at all from your atmos Tv/soundbar.
I have complained with ugoos support but they seem deaf. Very disappointed.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Review | Ugoos AM6 Plus Amlogic S922XJ TV Box0