• 49(current)
Linux ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel
Well hell, my N2plus arrived today. Glad someone else spotted the usbpower bug before I started it up!

Looking forward to the 4K tv arriving now. On back order.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2020-07-30, 22:58)noggin Wrote: People need to be be particularly careful because HardKernel have a lousy warranty last time I checked (if you bought from them).

Ameridroid's sucks too. Bought 2 N2s for a friend/customer, and one died after a week or use. But due to time for me to set up, ship to them, and them set up, warranty had expired.
Pretty poor after-sales support. Thankfully, my N2 from Ameridroid has been working perfectly since purchasing a year ago. But, have been considering an upgrade to N2+. Not sure if it's worth it just for CoreELEC use though, whether the performance improvements would be noticeable.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2020-08-03, 22:05)hdmkv Wrote: Pretty poor after-sales support. Thankfully, my N2 from Ameridroid has been working perfectly since purchasing a year ago. But, have been considering an upgrade to N2+. Not sure if it's worth it just for CoreELEC use though, whether the performance improvements would be noticeable.

why do you need to upgrade?

does the N2 not performing well?

doesn't look like N2+ is that big of an upgrade..
(2020-08-03, 05:36)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-08-02, 17:04)madmax2 Wrote:
(2020-07-30, 22:58)noggin Wrote: People need to be be particularly careful because HardKernel have a lousy warranty last time I checked (if you bought from them).  If you bought in Europe/UK from a European/UK retailer you may be better covered.
what is the purpose of usbpower option in boot.ini ?

See HERE (click)

This is the Primary reason why developer boards are sent out to various parties to pick up such issues.

The usbpower option has been removed (click) from boot.ini anyway with the Release Candidate - CE v9.2.4 - so there is NO chance of N2+ users causing damage.
Is there a functional reason why someone would need 5V USB port on suspend or off?
Is it to prevent some usb devices turning off?

You can use this setting to enable 5v power on the USB ports when entering suspend or power off,
# 0=off/1=on
# This setting will require a injected bl301 blob.
(2020-08-04, 06:24)madmax2 Wrote:
(2020-08-03, 05:36)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-08-02, 17:04)madmax2 Wrote: what is the purpose of usbpower option in boot.ini ?

See HERE (click)

This is the Primary reason why developer boards are sent out to various parties to pick up such issues.

The usbpower option has been removed (click) from boot.ini anyway with the Release Candidate - CE v9.2.4 - so there is NO chance of N2+ users causing damage.
Is there a functional reason why someone would need 5V USB port on suspend or off?
Is it to prevent some usb devices turning off?

You can use this setting to enable 5v power on the USB ports when entering suspend or power off,
# 0=off/1=on
# This setting will require a injected bl301 blob.
If a device supports 'Wake on USB' then having power to the USB ports is required? That might be a reason.
(2020-08-03, 22:05)hdmkv Wrote: Pretty poor after-sales support. Thankfully, my N2 from Ameridroid has been working perfectly since purchasing a year ago. But, have been considering an upgrade to N2+. Not sure if it's worth it just for CoreELEC use though, whether the performance improvements would be noticeable.
Not sure if it's worth the money, as there is not much work for CPU in CE, and performance increase is not so huge.
If you can get it as a sample, sure, go for it Smile
Had figured performance gain may not be worth it, but thought I’d check in here Smile.
My Odroid N2 2GB arrived today, already configured. The Panasonic 65gx800 tv should arrive tomorrow.
I realized that my Denon X1000 avr doesn't do 4k and HDR/DV passtrough, which is a big shame, as I like this avr a lot. And I don't really use it a lot.

What do you think, how can I get at least DD/DD+ and DTS sound in 5.1? Maybe using the tv's optical out to AVR? Should I set the N2 to PCM 5.1 to decode DD and DTS and maybe the tv will pass this over to avr over optical?
(2020-08-06, 20:54)gurabli Wrote: My Odroid N2 2GB arrived today, already configured. The Panasonic 65gx800 tv should arrive tomorrow.
I realized that my Denon X1000 avr doesn't do 4k and HDR/DV passtrough, which is a big shame, as I like this avr a lot. And I don't really use it a lot.

What do you think, how can I get at least DD/DD+ and DTS sound in 5.1? Maybe using the tv's optical out to AVR? Should I set the N2 to PCM 5.1 to decode DD and DTS and maybe the tv will pass this over to avr over optical?
Get an HDMI splitter, send one signal to the tv and one to the AVR.
(2020-08-06, 21:50)PANiCnz Wrote:
(2020-08-06, 20:54)gurabli Wrote: My Odroid N2 2GB arrived today, already configured. The Panasonic 65gx800 tv should arrive tomorrow.

It can be one option. Although, not easy to find a reasonable priced splitter that supports HDR+ and Dolby Vision.
I am fine with optical if that would work.
(2020-08-06, 20:54)gurabli Wrote: What do you think, how can I get at least DD/DD+ and DTS sound in 5.1? Maybe using the tv's optical out to AVR? Should I set the N2 to PCM 5.1 to decode DD and DTS and maybe the tv will pass this over to avr over optical?

Consumer Toslink won't carry 5.1 PCM over optical - it's PCM 2.0, DD or DTS only.  Transcoding DTS and DD+ to DD5.1 is the only solution if you have to go the Toslink route. (You MAY find DD+ is supported via Toslink)

As others have said - a splitter that is design for non-4K AVRs is a good solution - but they aren't dirt cheap.  (I got one that might work for £30 in the UK on Amazon though - it outputs 4K inputs as 1080p on one of its outputs - and you can manually program the EDID via a Windows app that talks to the splitter via a command line type process. EZCOO was the brand. That MIGHT be suitable?)
(2020-08-06, 21:53)gurabli Wrote:
(2020-08-06, 21:50)PANiCnz Wrote:

It can be one option. Although, not easy to find a reasonable priced splitter that supports HDR+ and Dolby Vision.
I’m using one of these to do exactly what you want. Does DV and HDR+ perfectly fine.
(2020-08-07, 03:21)PANiCnz Wrote:
(2020-08-06, 21:53)gurabli Wrote:
(2020-08-06, 21:50)PANiCnz Wrote: Get an HDMI splitter, send one signal to the tv and one to the AVR.

I’m using one of these to do exactly what you want. Does DV and HDR+ perfectly fine.

This is really promising!
So I can have full everything for N2 to TV (like it was connected directly) and on Hdmi2 from splitter to AVR and enjoy DTS, TrueHD, DD+ etc. Sound really great.

Is HDMI-CEC (passtrough) also working?

And the harder part will be to get one in EU (although I see it is available on Amazon UK).
(2020-08-07, 07:03)gurabli Wrote:
(2020-08-07, 03:21)PANiCnz Wrote:
(2020-08-06, 21:53)gurabli Wrote: It can be one option. Although, not easy to find a reasonable priced splitter that supports HDR+ and Dolby Vision.

This is really promising!
So I can have full everything for N2 to TV (like it was connected directly) and on Hdmi2 from splitter to AVR and enjoy DTS, TrueHD, DD+ etc. Sound really great.

Is HDMI-CEC (passtrough) also working?

And the harder part will be to get one in EU (although I see it is available on Amazon UK).

That's the device I bought on Amazon UK.  When I get a chance I'll check CEC.

Being able to program the device over USB can be very useful.
  • 49(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel4