SHN files not playing in Matrix nightlies
Using the latest nightly for Matrix branch.
Kodi (19.0-ALPHA1 (18.9.701) Git:20200918-a4936523d9). Platform: Windows NT x86 64-bit

SHN files are erroring in playback.  no error is presented, the file just does not play.  cannot seem to figure out why with the debug log.

file plays in foobar2000 just fine on the same system.

debug log:  https://paste.kodi.tv/ibapeyefuf.kodi
sample file:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mv9YxOy...sp=sharing

can someone help?  thanks//
Did it play in earlier versions of Kodi?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2020-09-19, 22:13)Karellen Wrote: Did it play in earlier versions of Kodi?

i believe so. i mean i have been using the app since 2009 and never had an issue i can remember.  i just dont really have much shn in my collection, this is part of a live discography of sorts and not in the library itself.  its not just this file or concert itself.  seems to any shn file i try.
any thoughts on why this may not be working?

thanks!
I know nothing about shn format (who knew there were so many music file formats), but the debug log is showinng errors from ffmpeg - the player library that kodi uses. This library gets updated with differnt versions of Kodi, so it could well be a regression in ffmpeg at some point.

As for a fix, or pinnng it down more closely, that will need someone with knowledge of ffmpeg.
ffplay 4.3.1 plays it OK, which is nominally the version in current nightlies FWIW.
Code:
C:\Media\ffmpeg\bin>ffplay -i "01 - Gathering Storm Part I.shn"
ffplay version 4.3.1-full_build-www.gyan.dev Copyright (c) 2003-2020 the FFmpeg developers
  built with gcc 10.2.0 (Rev1, Built by MSYS2 project)

[shorten @ 00000184b165a5c0] 2 header bytes unparsed=    0B f=0/0
Input #0, shn, from '01 - Gathering Storm Part I.shn':
  Duration: N/A, start: 0.000000, bitrate: N/A
    Stream #0:0: Audio: shorten, 44100 Hz, 2 channels, s16p
[shorten @ 00000184b1669ec0] 2 header bytes unparsed
 274.11 M-A:  0.000 fd=   0 aq=   28KB vq=    0KB sq=    0B f=0/0

scott s.
thanks guys.

fwiw too, it does play in Foobar2000 but not VLC; VLC just closes no error nothing. (i only have VLC for testing stuff, its not really used this setup is like htpc mostly for music). i have also tried lots of other SHN files and same thing. having trouble tracking down the encoder to convert something from wav/flac.

does it play in kodi for you or no?

edit: one other thing... when i browse the directories, the flac files do not show an extension and seem to read the metadata and i can get tag info in an Information dialog. when i right click the SHN there is not even an "information" option.
(2020-09-25, 03:04)koawmfot Wrote: does it play in kodi for you or no?

Not for me, no.  Also doesn't play in VLC here either.  I'm not using Windows but I understand that foobar2000 should be able to convert shn to flac for you.  If not, then there is some freeware here that can do the conversion for you.
(2020-09-25, 03:04)koawmfot Wrote: edit: one other thing... when i browse the directories, the flac files do not show an extension and seem to read the metadata and i can get tag info in an Information dialog. when i right click the SHN there is not even an "information" option.

Wav, and therefore probably shn, only supports a very limited tag set.  Get them converted to FLAC and you will be able to tag them properly.  Kodi will then read those tags.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Yes you are absolutely correct on both the tagging and conversion. I am super familiar with Foobar so i am not worried about converting either. (i love the Foobar DVD-A plugin, it rips the 5.1 hi res surround audio to standalone flac that can be tagged and played back in Kodi in full 5.1 glory and passed as 6 channel LPCM to the reciever...)

Really the question was just that it is supposed to work and is a supported format but its not working. I had no real plan to tag or manage this content, or add it to the library or anything, since its organized enough as is in a flat file share by concert date/venue.

Maybe if its not going to get fixed, drop it from the list of supported codecs?
I still think this is an issue for the ffmpeg guys (VCL also uses ffmpeg), what can be done by team Kodi is limited. The list of audio formats suppoted is simply those supported by ffmpeg.
(2020-09-25, 16:52)koawmfot Wrote: Yes you are absolutely correct on both the tagging and conversion. I am super familiar with Foobar so i am not worried about converting either. (i love the Foobar DVD-A plugin, it rips the 5.1 hi res surround audio to standalone flac that can be tagged and played back in Kodi in full 5.1 glory and passed as 6 channel LPCM to the reciever...)

Really the question was just that it is supposed to work and is a supported format but its not working. I had no real plan to tag or manage this content, or add it to the library or anything, since its organized enough as is in a flat file share by concert date/venue.

Maybe if its not going to get fixed, drop it from the list of supported codecs?
Since ffmpeg 4.3.1 does handle shn, it appears to be a kodi bug that should be logged.  I edited my advancedsettings to add shn as a video extension so playercorefactory would pick it up as video, and Kodi video player plays it correctly.  It's a PA player issue.  An alternative approach is just to open up the context menu on it in music / files and use the "play using" menu option to use videoplayer.

scott s.
hey i can handle filing a bug but have not had to do so in previously.  are there guidance docs?

i was able to do the same, and they play with videoplayer. only things that is odd, is if i browse and say "play using... videoplayer", it does not work and adds the file to the playlist. BUT if i go to the playlist then and choose "play using... videoplayer" it does play. i am not an expert, but it seems to me from the debug log that the option is not working and it adds it to the playlist to play with PAPlayer and not Videoplayer. once in the playlist the option to choose works.

debug log: https://paste.kodi.tv/awoqugivac.kodi

thanks for all the responses.

edit: song is "02 - Rockets Fall On Rocket Falls.shn" if it helps in searching the log.
OK, I can confirm that trying to play the example .shn file from file view mode works if you pick videoplayer from the "play using..." context menu, but does not work if using paplayer. Paplayer gives errors:

ERROR <general>: CDVDDemuxFFmpeg::Open - error probing input format, C:\MusicTest\SHN file\01 - Gathering Storm Part I.shn
ERROR <general>: CAudioDecoder: Unable to Init Codec while loading file C:\MusicTest\SHN file\01 - Gathering Storm Part I.shn

As for playing in previous versions of Kodi, I tested back to v15.2, and paplayer does not play the example .shn file in any of them, in fact Jarvis and Krypton both crashed. Could be that particular file, otherwise this is not a recent regression.
i can submit a bug report if someone points me in the right direction. thanks//
(2020-10-02, 17:52)koawmfot Wrote: i can submit a bug report if someone points me in the right direction. thanks//
Open an Issue report here... https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues

Remember to follow the template and provide a Debug Log.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SHN files not playing in Matrix nightlies0