• 34(current)
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 2020
https://4kmedia.org/lg-amaze-dolby-vision-uhd-4k-demo/

Ok, I confirmed this demo file turns my TV to DV, some others did not. It works off usb to my LG CX65. I tried playing this off my shield via plex streaming from my Freenas over SMB. It just tries to load and does nothing.
(2020-08-01, 16:24)gpinzone Wrote: https://4kmedia.org/lg-amaze-dolby-vision-uhd-4k-demo/

Ok, I confirmed this demo file turns my TV to DV, some others did not. It works off usb to my LG CX65. I tried playing this off my shield via plex streaming from my Freenas over SMB. It just tries to load and does nothing.

WEbos  can player back  DV single track single layer without any issues from USB, DLNA player and PLEX.
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
(2020-08-01, 06:14)wrxtasy Wrote: That also works for DV licensed devices like the Ugoos AM6 Plus

Ugoos AM6+ has no any DV license, so no DV support in official specs: https://ugoos.com/ugoos-am6-plus-s922xj-tvbox-android9. But cpu amlogic S922XJ support DV decoding, yes
I don't know if Dev is aware of this or not (I couldn't find any mention), but nVidia's recent Linux driver release -- 450.57 -- states the following:
Quote:Added HEVC 10/12 bit "decode only" support to the NVIDIA VDPAU driver. Note that VDPAU's presentation pipeline and OpenGL-VDPAU interop does not support 10- and 12-bit video surfaces yet. See the "VDPAU Support" appendix in the README for supported HEVC decoder profiles.

The above referenced README is available here:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...pport.html

Does this offer any hope of future 4K HDR support for us Linux/nVidia installation users?
When I read kodi 19 alpha’s changelog over at the main site, it mentioned HDR10 support.

Doesn’t Kodi already support HDR10 for a Long time now? Just purchased a CX65 which is on the way and am gonna be sorely disappointed if I can’t playback HDR10 on kodi 18 using my shield 2015 lol.
HT System - Denon X1500-H, 4x RP-500M for FR,FL,SR,SL, RP-404C for Center, 2x RP-500SA for Top Middle, SVS PB-2000. Harmony 665, LG OLED CX 65, Samsung PN51H5000 Plasma
(2020-08-10, 03:09)ars92 Wrote: When I read kodi 19 alpha’s changelog over at the main site, it mentioned HDR10 support.

Doesn’t Kodi already support HDR10 for a Long time now? Just purchased a CX65 which is on the way and am gonna be sorely disappointed if I can’t playback HDR10 on kodi 18 using my shield 2015 lol.

There are HDR10 (and HLG) supported builds of Kodi that work with specific chipsets (AMLogic, Rockchip etc.) but they had to use non-standard techniques. I think the references in Kodi 19 are for using the new standard approach that should require fewer/no bespoke builds for different chipsets. I may be wrong.
(2020-08-10, 09:41)noggin Wrote:
(2020-08-10, 03:09)ars92 Wrote: When I read kodi 19 alpha’s changelog over at the main site, it mentioned HDR10 support.

There are HDR10 (and HLG) supported builds of Kodi that work with specific chipsets (AMLogic, Rockchip etc.) but they had to use non-standard techniques. I think the references in Kodi 19 are for using the new standard approach that should require fewer/no bespoke builds for different chipsets. I may be wrong.

Ah I see, thanks for the explanation.
HT System - Denon X1500-H, 4x RP-500M for FR,FL,SR,SL, RP-404C for Center, 2x RP-500SA for Top Middle, SVS PB-2000. Harmony 665, LG OLED CX 65, Samsung PN51H5000 Plasma
Hello!
I've been doing some digging lately. I'm trying to figure out if some device-software would be able to play 4k UHD .iso files with menus.
I'm well aware Kodi can read the movie from any .iso file, Blu-ray and UHD alike but not the menus and interactivity.

As far as I know, only Cyberlink PowerDVD (or Arcsoft) on Windows is able to playback Blu-rays and 4K Blu-rays on both discs and iso form the correct way with the menus etc...

I've seen a lot of forum posts stating it's not possible on Android and Linux based OS, but they're mostly 2-3 years old.

Just wondering if there is an update or a glimpse of hope on the subject matter?

PS: I'm considering the nvidia shield for my media center, connected to a NAS containing all my movies, among which quite a fair amount of Blu-Rays I ripped with great interactivity and special features I'd love to replay.
Well, new Chromecast released, Dolby Atmos is supported but the question is.. will it allow passthrough if connected to A/V receiver?
(2020-10-01, 10:01)siriusbox Wrote: Well, new Chromecast released, Dolby Atmos is supported but the question is.. will it allow passthrough if connected to A/V receiver?

How can you support Atmos any other way? (Or do you mean the difference between the Apple TV MAT approach and other's direct bit streaming?)

Or are you asking about Dolby True HD + Atmos support?   (Others have posted in the Chromecast+Google TV thread that HD Audio bit streaming is not supported currently)
(2020-10-01, 10:21)noggin Wrote:
(2020-10-01, 10:01)siriusbox Wrote: Well, new Chromecast released, Dolby Atmos is supported but the question is.. will it allow passthrough if connected to A/V receiver?

How can you support Atmos any other way? (Or do you mean the difference between the Apple TV MAT approach and other's direct bit streaming?)

Or are you asking about Dolby True HD + Atmos support?   (Others have posted in the Chromecast+Google TV thread that HD Audio bit streaming is not supported currently)
The second thing, bitstream of HD Audio.
(2020-10-01, 12:11)siriusbox Wrote:
(2020-10-01, 10:21)noggin Wrote:

The second thing, bitstream of HD Audio.

Don't hold your breath. Until that becomes an option from online streaming providers no one is going to implement it.
(2020-10-01, 14:05)dwalme Wrote: Don't hold your breath. Until that becomes an option from online streaming providers no one is going to implement it.
the future codec for online streaming is AC4 not TrueHD.
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
(2020-10-01, 14:29)looun Wrote:
(2020-10-01, 14:05)dwalme Wrote: Don't hold your breath. Until that becomes an option from online streaming providers no one is going to implement it.
the future codec for online streaming is AC4 not TrueHD.

Does anything support ac4 yet? Seems like it’s been ‘around’ a while but it’s a bit weird how nothing has adopted it yet. Or even started to. Are they just waiting for everyone to ‘buy in’ to atmos before telling everyone they’ll need a new ac4 compatible avr...
Just starting to get into Dolby Vision TS, MP4 and MKV files, so definitely not as familiar as with HDR10... can Kodi 18.9 or 19 alpha play DV in any of these containers on any media player at the moment? Have looked at wrxtasy's notes in his first post, but not sure if it's possible via Kodi or whether Apple TV 4K w/MrMC is needed, or something like the new Zidoo Z9X w/ZDMC & external playback?

Not a fan of PLEX for local media playback.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
  • 34(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 20209