Solved advancedsettings.xml imageres resets automatically to 1080
Greetings, pretty much topic. I have a lot of poster art stored locally in high resolutions and tried to circumvent downscaling via advancedsettings.xml and typed it as 

<advancedsettings>
  <imageres>1080</imageres>
  <fanartres>1080</fanartres>
</advancedsettings>

Running Kodi 18.8 on a windows 10. I'm very much a noob with stuff like this so I wouldn't even be sure if I made the xml file correctly if not for the fact that it resets so I suppose it's technically correct and in the right place. But what keeps resetting the value?
@hapanpappa

If you want to keep your artwork in its original resolution, then use the below code.

xml:
<advancedsettings version="1.0">
<imageres>9999</imageres>
<fanartres>9999</fanartres>
</advancedsettings>

Add that to your advancedsettings.xml file, restart Kodi then post a Debug Log and I can check whether your advancedsettings.xml file has been correctly loaded.

As for what is resetting your file, no idea. Definitely not Kodi as there is no code that allows Kodi to edit the file. There are some questionable addons that can, but lets hope you don't have those installed.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2020-10-11, 21:10)Karellen Wrote: @hapanpappa

If you want to keep your artwork in its original resolution, then use the below code.

xml:
<advancedsettings version="1.0">
<imageres>9999</imageres>
<fanartres>9999</fanartres>
</advancedsettings>

Add that to your advancedsettings.xml file, restart Kodi then post a Debug Log and I can check whether your advancedsettings.xml file has been correctly loaded.

As for what is resetting your file, no idea. Definitely not Kodi as there is no code that allows Kodi to edit the file. There are some questionable addons that can, but lets hope you don't have those installed.

Cheers mate, changed the xml file, and it doesn't seem to reset the value now. Interesting. Although I did a fast check and it looks like the resolution of poster artworks still downscales when restarting Kodi. I have some skin-related add-ons, if I've something else then it's there by mistake. Let's hope I'm not unknowingly breaking any rules, now.

https://paste.kodi.tv/kejokofipa.kodi
The advancedsettings.xml file is loaded correctly. You can see that at lines 27-31 in the log.

Nope, no Banned Add-ons (wiki), which is good. Thanks.

Kodi does optimise the images that it caches, so if you are solely looking at file size, most times there will be a difference. But the resolution will not change so a 3840x2160 will be optimised but it will still remain as a 3840x2160 image. The optimisation process helps Kodi load images from cache more quickly. As for exactly what happens during optimisation, I have no clue.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2020-10-11, 22:56)Karellen Wrote: The advancedsettings.xml file is loaded correctly. You can see that at lines 27-31 in the log.

Nope, no Banned Add-ons (wiki), which is good. Thanks.

Kodi does optimise the images that it caches, so if you are solely looking at file size, most times there will be a difference. But the resolution will not change so a 3840x2160 will be optimised but it will still remain as a 3840x2160 image. The optimisation process helps Kodi load images from cache more quickly. As for exactly what happens during optimisation, I have no clue.
Do you reckon I should somehow "reset" the local poster art I have set, for example by deleting the thumbnail in the cache or set a different one temporarily and then browse for the local art again and hope it retains the resolution? Good to know the technical side is working as intended, at least.
You can delete your /thumbnails/ folder and textures13.db, both in the userdata folder. This will force Kodi to rebuild the image cache and use the new settings. Works fine in most cases, as long as you have local artwork that Kodi can rebuild from or the correct links to the online artwork from a proper scrape, depending on how you originally scanned/scraped the artwork.

But if you don't see a difference in the image between original and cached, then I wouldn't stress too much about it.
My Signature
(2020-10-11, 23:13)Karellen Wrote: You can delete your /thumbnails/ folder and textures13.db, both in the userdata folder. This will force Kodi to rebuild the image cache and use the new settings. Works fine in most cases, as long as you have local artwork that Kodi can rebuild from or the correct links to the online artwork from a proper scrape, depending on how you originally scanned/scraped the artwork.

But if you don't see a difference in the image between original and cached, then I wouldn't stress too much about it.

That did the trick. I really appreciate it mate. You just saved me like actual painstaking hours of manually replacing the thumbnails in the massive folders with hi-res images. Thank you sincerely, and have a good one.
Enjoy!!

Thread marked solved.
My Signature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
advancedsettings.xml imageres resets automatically to 10800