• 33(current)
WIP Aeon 2 (Kodi Matrix/Leia/Krypton)
(2020-10-14, 18:42)djh_ Wrote: Sorry for the scrappy video! (and nearly two full minutes of screensaver at the start)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwCdr9c7...e=youtu.be

What a masterpiece. Looks like it's (almost) finished?
I have seen a lot of beautiful skins so far, but this is really the best skin I've ever seen.
(2020-10-14, 18:42)djh_ Wrote: Sorry for the scrappy video! (and nearly two full minutes of screensaver at the start)

Absolutely breath taking work, looks fantastic!
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation

Incredible. Such beautiful animations. Can't wait to try it out myself.
The screen saver looks amazing, as does the rest of the skin.
This looks ridiculously good !! Can’t wait to test it at some point in the (hopefully near) future
Agreed. I've enjoyed every second of the video, including the screen saver. The design and the animations are flawless. But what I admire most is the high level of reductionism you've achieved. In light of all those careful choices you must have made on what NOT to show, I'm actually impressed your skin is advancing so quickly!   :-)
Server: DIY NAS w/ i3-8100, 32GB RAM, 4x6 TB WD Red, DD Cine S2 + 3xDuoFlex, OMV w/ Emby, TVheadend, Oscam
Living Room: Odroid N2 w/ CE, Panasonic DP-UB9004, NAD 758v3, LG OLED 65 B7, L/R B&W CM10, B&W C S2, B&W ASW10 CM, SL/SR Elac WS 1445, HL/HR Dali Alteco C1
Library: RPi2B w/ LE, Xbox One X w/ Kodi, Nintendo Switch, Panasonic Viera TX-P50 Plasma​​
This is the most beautiful skin I've ever seen. It's simplicity only showing what really matters and animations are gorgeous. Can't imagine how much time this took to achieve your requirements, but it worth every minute.

Congratulations.
Totally blown away, once again, by your work. Getting the same feeling as I did back in the days when you were in the process of developing Aeon Stark. Absolutely love it, cant wait, keep it up Smile

Cheers
Marcus
Thanks all. If all that time in the oven has achieved something, it's that features such as the movie set support and genre page have had time to grow organically out of the design rather than get slapped on as some incongruous new layer. There must have been six or seven really quite bad attempts at the movie sets before that one came along, and just as many versions of the list view animation supporting it.

But anyway, some stuff that isn't obvious from the video:

- The skin is actually a bit too minimalist at the moment, in that certain things like the 'Advanced/Expert' button for settings aren't there. There also need to be some basic navigation aids, like knowing what season you're looking at when you're actually looking at it. Again, those are things it would be very easy to just crowbar in whereas I'd rather they suggested themselves over time.
- The Kids view has been stuck in limbo for a while and needs a lot of work, which is apparently very difficult! My kids won't let me switch to the 'classic' view - the one in the video is optional - so I guess it's doing something right. On the one hand, it can't look like someone's dropped a Comic Sans grenade into the skin, but it also backfires horribly if there's too much sophisticated mature stuff layered over the kiddy artwork. It's also a pain to navigate when there's just one item on-screen at once, so expect a solution where you can swipe across to a wall of items if you need that kind of travel. Then there'll be an option to default to one thing or another. Kids have funny ways of browsing things: adults will generally know what they want just by seeing a name on a list, whereas kids sometimes need inspiration from the art on the screen, the colours, etc. Weirdos.
- There is a video OSD but it just doesn't have the bookmarks section yet.
- I have a big spreadsheet where I put anything that would make sense to be optional. Not many of those options are actually in yet.
- There'll be a few different styles of icon for the 'UHD' flag. Some people prefer the notional kudos of having the official logos, whereas others would rather something more in keeping with the UI. I get that.
- There won't be any PVR support upon release. I can't justify holding anything up to put in something I'd almost certainly never finish, and honestly don't even use. Someone can do a mod.
- No refactoring has been done yet. The skin is a complete mess XML-wise. It'll be fun to sort out but is painstaking to do right.
- There is a 'Movie Information' page, but I'm debating how much of Kodi's functionality to include. I don't like all that Amazon X-ray crap - people just use their phones and IMDb for that - but there are some critical buttons in that page (which should be elsewhere but whatever).
- Pictures, as you know, is borderline broken in Kodi and has been for years. I'm not going to hold this thing to ransom or anything, but Pictures just won't work as reliably as the video suggests. Maybe an actually decent Pictures view might inspire someone to fix it all.
- The only 4K testing I do is on my living room Nvidia Shield TV, which hits a rock-solid 60fps. That machine is a beast, though, and I'd be surprised if others don't run into problems with 4K performance.
- The genre page seen in the video has a pretty nifty alternative for TV shows!
- You can choose to have player controls on the fullscreen music page. All that functionality can be a bit sketchy in Kodi so I'm treading carefully.
- Expect significant personalisation options for the three-tier smart panels above Movies and TV Shows on the homepage, which will be directly integrated into the panel area itself.
- There is no ETA. There will be testing, but only after refactoring.
www: deadendthrills.com
follow on twitter for updates, etc: @deadendthrills
(2020-10-14, 23:46)djh_ Wrote: Thanks all. If all that time in the oven has achieved something, it's that features such as the movie set support and genre page have had time to grow organically out of the design rather than get slapped on as some incongruous new layer. There must have been six or seven really quite bad attempts at the movie sets before that one came along, and just as many versions of the list view animation supporting it.

But anyway, some stuff that isn't obvious from the video:
Thanks for the detailed explanation (which answered some of my questions watching the video) and updated video.

I remember the Video OSD from an earlier video posting, I've never seen anything like it or since, it was my favourite skin feature.

Do you still plan to release a companion app?

I'm fascinated to see how to configure artwork settings to show keyart as opposed to posters in the list view.  Couldn't tell from the video, but are you still using the parallax scrolling effect?

Congratulations again Duncan, this is a skin that really showcases artwork, as others have stated the genius is in the choices you made of what not to show.

I hope you get to release this soon before imitators ape what's in the video.
Does anybody know how is djh_ making the screensaver that shows in his video? is DJH_ magic or is a plugin?

Thanks
It's a custom screensaver plugin with some companion includes in the skin proper.
www: deadendthrills.com
follow on twitter for updates, etc: @deadendthrills
This looks fantastic djh_! Wow.

Unfortunately it's not suitable for me, because I use the PVR a lot, but maybe some other skilled skinner will add those features someday.
I've been using XBMC since it's early days, this is the greatest thing I've seen.  The only problem I'd have with it is it looks so damn good I might not ever actually get around to watching a movie. I'd just be scrolling around looking at all the animations and stuff and drooling. To say I want to try this would be a huge understatement. I hope you might be considering adding VideoLyrics.  And also any plans to have any views that show discart? I love the clean look and don't even know if discart would look good with the way you have the visuals.  

WOW I can't wait for this.
Great Work! Any chance you will be releasing a Bare Bones/WiP/Beta soon? For how I use Kodi, everything shown off in the video suits my use case.

The Advanced/Expert menus would be great but not the end of the world if it means I can have this running on my 77" 4K CX sooner rather than later haha
  • 33(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Aeon 2 (Kodi Matrix/Leia/Krypton)30