• 12(current)
Android "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI
Set to 24Hz can temporary resolve this issue (which shows another bug: even though Kodi failed to get a list of resolutions and always list on 1080p60 as the sole resolution it supported, the video actually played back as whatever system setting set at), but has two issues:
1. Overall GUI navigation is sluggish everywhere due to slow refresh rate.
2. CCGTV won't let you pick different 24Hz modes: 23.976 (majority of movies) vs 24.000 (some movies) in most cases in system display settings. So, output 24.000 film at 23.976 will be even worse.
24 at 50 fps with Sync Playback to Display: speed up from 24 to 25 -> render twice for 50. LPCM audio is resampled.

Kodi supports up to 5% speed up. Though the PT guys don't like it - out of obvious reasons.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-10-15, 19:29)foxbat121 Wrote: 2. CCGTV won't let you pick different 24Hz modes: 23.976 (majority of movies) vs 24.000 (some movies) in most cases in system display settings. So, output 24.000 film at 23.976 will be even worse.
Sync Playback to Display will solve that though won't it?
(2020-10-15, 22:08)fritsch Wrote: 24 at 50 fps with Sync Playback to Display: speed up from 24 to 25 -> render twice for 50. LPCM audio is resampled.

Kodi supports up to 5% speed up. Though the PT guys don't like it - out of obvious reasons.

Of course - if you are happy with 4% PAL speed-up that's definitely the case, and if you aren't bit streaming audio it's not a major issue?  (Still a pain to have to switch back to 24Hz for Netflix/Prime stuff though)

My Chromecast with Google TV arrived this morning - will have a play with my HD Fury Vertex in circuit.
hi, app "refresh rate" work?
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
(2020-10-16, 10:34)looun Wrote: hi, app "refresh rate" work?

The Chromecast with Google TV runs at a fixed refresh rate set in the Android system settings. 

I don't think the refresh rate changing apps like TVHZ work. I'll check in a moment.

EDIT - Yep, as expected, TVHZ doesn't offer any options other than 24p (on a TV that offers 23.976/24/25/29.97/30/50/59.94/60) and doesn't seem to work (the Android settings are 4K 60 and selecting 24 Hz in TVHZ does nothing).

It appears the build of Android TV that's running on the Chromecast with Google TV doesn't enumerate all supported refresh rates to apps, I guess the same limitation Kodi is hitting.  (The OS is enumerating them from the TV as it knows what options to offer - though there isn't a choice between 23.976 and 24.000 or 59.94 and 60.00.
sadly, ATV isn't open source, so someone could make the according PR for patching that in the firmware.

but as usual with AMLogic Android Firmware, nothing will be fixed if the company doesn't care.
I thought the bigger the company, the bigger the customer care Big Grin (seems otherwise).
(2020-10-15, 22:27)noggin Wrote:
(2020-10-15, 19:29)foxbat121 Wrote: 2. CCGTV won't let you pick different 24Hz modes: 23.976 (majority of movies) vs 24.000 (some movies) in most cases in system display settings. So, output 24.000 film at 23.976 will be even worse.
Sync Playback to Display will solve that though won't it?
Not if TVs here are mainly 60Hz Smile
(2020-10-16, 10:34)looun Wrote: hi, app "refresh rate" work?
No, nothing can change the refresh rate on this box.
(2020-09-30, 21:03)hdmkv Wrote: Just the skin in a sense. Ordered one to try out as I'm a sucker for these, even though the last thing I need is another streaming stick/dongle/box.

A guy on Reddit claims it does framerate switching, but take that with a grain of salt until experts here confirm.

Have you had any luck with the frame rate switching?
(2020-10-16, 17:33)nhenson22 Wrote:
(2020-09-30, 21:03)hdmkv Wrote: Just the skin in a sense. Ordered one to try out as I'm a sucker for these, even though the last thing I need is another streaming stick/dongle/box.

A guy on Reddit claims it does framerate switching, but take that with a grain of salt until experts here confirm.

Sorry, just seen this has been answered!

That is disappointing. Do you think a firmware update at some point might change this?
(2020-10-16, 17:35)nhenson22 Wrote:
(2020-10-16, 17:33)nhenson22 Wrote:

Sorry, just seen this has been answered!

That is disappointing. Do you think a firmware update at some point might change this?
Doubt it. Google moved on to new things in Android 11 (see my post above). I don't ever see they going back to put in the old API that was purposefully left out.
TBH, I never liked frame rate switching app to begin with when I have my NVidia Shield. All other platforms like Apple TV 4K and Roku all have automatic framerate switch support built-in for a long time. Why Android has to be some stupid.
Why do you - again confuse "Android" with the vendor, be it Philips or Nvidia or Amazon or Shitbox1 or Shitbox 25? You _cannot_ generalize. Android as an Operating System. The capabilities implemented vary depending the Firmware which implements the Android standards or in most cases not.

I don't think you would blame Windows, if your GPU vendor driver would only support VGA in 640 x 480, but rather the GPU vendor who does not provide a working driver.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I don't think I'm the one confused. The advantage of Windows over some many other choices out there is that Windows define a set of APIs that application can call into to get the work done regardless of how the vendors implemented drivers underneath. And Microsoft is pretty good at force vendors to write quality drivers (WHQL certification). In the case of Apple TV and Roku, both have system level option to match framerates. Applications don't have to worry about it. Android as an OS doesn't enforce that, no surprise as Linux pretty much is the same thing. Each app forced to have its own ways to provide the simple task of refresh rate matching, or not providing it at all.
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI0