How do I use the "<tag>" tag in episode .nfo files
I'm making a bunch of custom nfo files for programs that can't be scraped. One thing I can't find in the wiki is how to use the "<tag>" tag in my episode nfo files. To use a hypothetical example, say I was doing a nfo file for a  tv show dealing with the making of Star Wars, would I do the tagging like this
Code:
<tag>George Lucas,Ben Burt,Industrial Light and Magic<tag>

or like this
Code:

<tag>George Lucas</tag>
<tag>Ben Burt</tag>
<tag>Industrial Light and Magic</tag>

Also, am I wasting my time doing this because I can't find a skin  or kodi addon can display or search for this info? Laugh
@jeeves_m

xml:

<tag>George Lucas</tag>
<tag>Ben Burt</tag>
<tag>Industrial Light and Magic</tag>

This is the correct implementation of tags. Multiple tags are allowed. See the wiki page for more information which lists all available tags as well as templates that you can use... NFO files (wiki)

There is a lot of information that needs to fit on a limited screen space and some skins may not display them, but they are easily accessible. Which skin are you using?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-08-28, 05:01)Karellen Wrote:
xml:

<tag>George Lucas</tag>
<tag>Ben Burt</tag>
Thanks! This gets me on the right track. I'm using the default skin, Estuary, and I just found out Smart Playlists should be able to filter according to <tag> info. That's good enough  for me, however I still have not  been able to get the custom <tag> info to work. The Smart Playlist will work for tags like <plot> or <genre>, but never <tag>. Could it be where I am using it in the xml document? I have it right after the plot tags:

Code:
<plot>How to do a lat pull-down</plot>
<tag>Back Muscles</tag>
<tag>Workout</tag>

When I create a smart playlist to display content where the "tag" is "Workout"  -- I get no results.
(2019-08-28, 05:55)jeeves_m Wrote: I'm using the default skin, Estuary
Ok, then tags should be visible on the Information Page for each movie as shown in the below image. On the Home Screen, the top row of icons (nodes) the very last one should be Tags.

(2019-08-28, 05:55)jeeves_m Wrote: however I still have not  been able to get the custom <tag> info to work. The Smart Playlist will work for tags like <plot> or <genre>, but never <tag>.
Strange as they work for me. Try using "Contains" instead of "Is". When you go into the Information Page for the movie, can you see the tags like in the image below?

Where the tag entry is placed in the nfo file does not matter so it won't be the cause of the problem.

If you are still having problems, upload your MyVideos database and I can check what the problem may be.

My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Appologies for bumping this old thread but I've just noticed adding tags to TV show epoxides doesn't produce any results in the DialogVideoInfo screen. Is this not a part of Kodi? If so, disappointing as my tags for D-Box encoded media won't work and D-Box is now doing several TV shows but not all episodes (yet).
You cannot use tags for episodes. Tags are only available for the Movies, TV Shows and Music Videos.
My Signature
(2020-10-23, 12:06)Karellen Wrote: You cannot use tags for episodes. Tags are only available for the Movies, TV Shows and Music Videos.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunate news. Is there a particular reason for this or just that it hasn't been implemented into Kodi (yet)?
(2020-10-24, 04:19)K0D1User1138 Wrote: s there a particular reason for this or just that it hasn't been implemented into Kodi (yet)?
No reason that I know of. I think it may just be a matter of not implemented.

A quick check of when Tags were implemented.
Movies... https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1108
Tv Shows... https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1400

First implemented quite a few years ago, and episodes were never discussed. I guess back then there was no call for it.

What are you trying to achieve? I might be able to think of a workaround or make a Feature Request.
My Signature
(2020-10-24, 04:46)Karellen Wrote:
(2020-10-24, 04:19)K0D1User1138 Wrote: s there a particular reason for this or just that it hasn't been implemented into Kodi (yet)?

First implemented quite a few years ago, and episodes were never discussed. I guess back then there was no call for it.

What are you trying to achieve? I might be able to think of a workaround or make a Feature Request.

D-Box is now doing encodes for various TV shows. I have a D-Box flag in the DialogueVideoInfo screen based on an NFO tag that works perfect for movies. No way to get that to work for TV shows unless I use a file naming convention like is required for the MyVideoNav screens which I don't want to implement as I'd much prefer to remove all extra file naming conventions and do everything with NFO tags throughout the entire skin.
(2020-10-24, 06:39)K0D1User1138 Wrote: unless I use a file naming convention like is required for the MyVideoNav screens which I don't want to implement
And that was going to be my "last resort" suggestion.
My Signature
(2020-10-24, 07:00)Karellen Wrote:
(2020-10-24, 06:39)K0D1User1138 Wrote: unless I use a file naming convention like is required for the MyVideoNav screens which I don't want to implement
And that was going to be my "last resort" suggestion.

It's been my hope to eliminate file naming conventions and work solely with tags throughout the Kodi skin for a long time. Makes media management much cleaner and easier. Makes adding/changing things much easier. That and individual item export options would be super awesome.
(2020-10-24, 04:46)Karellen Wrote:

I realize this is an old thread.  A good use case for tags within an episode would be for "universes" across different series, like the Arrowverse.  You could put in tags to set viewing order.  For example, "Supergirl" Season 1 Episode 1 is #118 in the viewing order, between Arrow S4E03 and The Flash S02E04.

Those three episode could have tags like the following

Code:
<tag>AV117</tag>
<tag>AV118</tag>
<tag>AV119</tag>

It would be less cumbersome than the file naming convention mentioned in the guide here:

https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Movie_universe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do I use the "<tag>" tag in episode .nfo files0