• 85(current)
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
Cool. Yet another workaround. So that means either passthrough or lpcm. Nice. Makes even sense: where should they transcode it to when user cannot do dd+ :-).
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I try to play some dts-hd video with Firestick 4K and MrMc with pass-thr enabled and works fine.
No rencode to DD+ (Sorry for my bad english)
AAC will be re-encoded to DD+.
Previously AAC was output as PCM.
Very strange situation.
My hw:
- NAS Synoligy
- AVR denon 1600h
- Firestick 4K
- TV Hisense N6800 (ARC)
- Kodi 18.9 fritsch version

1) Firestick directly to the Hisense. Kodi player. ARC to denon. DTS audio Will be re-encode to DD.
Same DTS audio from DNLA ( and so no Kodi and no Firestick) Is perfectly pass-th to the Denon.
2) Firestick to the Denon. Kodi player. DTS audio Is perfectly pass-th to the denon

Some incompatiblity Denon/Firestick?
(2020-11-17, 13:05)mamachan Wrote: Very strange situation.
My hw:
- NAS Synoligy
- AVR denon 1600h
- Firestick 4K
- TV Hisense N6800 (ARC)
- Kodi 18.9 fritsch version

1) Firestick directly to the Hisense. Kodi player. ARC to denon. DTS audio Will be re-encode to DD.
Same DTS audio from DNLA ( and so no Kodi and no Firestick) Is perfectly pass-th to the Denon.
2) Firestick to the Denon. Kodi player. DTS audio Is perfectly pass-th to the denon

Some incompatiblity Denon/Firestick?
I also use passthrough from AFTV4K to my AVR.
DD/DTS is working fine.
DTS-HD-MA is stripped to DTS, instead of decoded to LPCM.
Dolby Atmos is re-encoded to DD+, instead of decoded to LPCM
AAC is re-encoded to DD+, instead of decoded to LPCM.
Jep, sadly - same for me. For the DTS-HD-MA we are responsible, we always fall back on the CORE (green light you know ...). For the DD+ things, yeah - sadly that's amazon doing.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-11-10, 17:11)farhanito Wrote:
(2020-11-10, 16:30)Tarkus_ Wrote:
(2020-11-10, 04:46)farhanito Wrote: I'm using fritschfiretv 20201024
NS6276/2933, Surround sound set to Best available
Can only get Stereo, with/without passthrough enabled.

Have you tried it with your Firestick set to Stereo?  For some reason, surround in Kodi works way better on my system with it on that setting.  It's often the only way I get sound out of my rear speakers, even with 5.1 content.  I don't know if it's something weird with my surround system or what.
Oh, wow.. it's weirldy works Big Grin

I'm using Kodi 18.9 right now, passthrough option gone with Firestick set to Stereo. But yeah, it gives me Multichannel PCM on everything.

No surround sound on other streaming apps (netflix, etc) though, obviously.

Do you guys mean setting it to 2.0 channels and disabling 'allow passthrough'?
(2020-11-18, 21:18)hdmkv Wrote:
(2020-11-10, 16:30)Tarkus_ Wrote: Have you tried it with your Firestick set to Stereo?  For some reason, surround in Kodi works way better on my system with it on that setting.  It's often the only way I get sound out of my rear speakers, even with 5.1 content.  I don't know if it's something weird with my surround system or what.

I'm using Kodi 18.9 right now, passthrough option gone with Firestick set to Stereo. But yeah, it gives me Multichannel PCM on everything.

Correct.  It's much more reliable (at least for me) to allow Kodi to decode the streams than to try and get them passed through to my surround system.
(2020-11-18, 21:18)hdmkv Wrote:
(2020-11-10, 16:30)Tarkus_ Wrote: Have you tried it with your Firestick set to Stereo?  For some reason, surround in Kodi works way better on my system with it on that setting.  It's often the only way I get sound out of my rear speakers, even with 5.1 content.  I don't know if it's something weird with my surround system or what.

No. I set FTVstick 4k Audio - Surround sound settings to Stereo.

With this setting, kodi 'allow passthrough' option will not be available.but setting number of channels to 5.1/7.1 in kodi, will give me Multichannel PCM from any sound formats.

If I set FTVstick 4k Audio - Surround sound settings to Best available:
- with Kodi 'allow passthrough' disabled = everything came out as DD+
- with Kodi 'allow passthrough' enabled = no sound on DTS/DTSHD-MA.

So in my case, this stick can't passthrough DTS at all. It's a poor device for kodi right now audio wise.
(2020-11-19, 02:03)farhanito Wrote: So in my case, this stick can't passthrough DTS at all. It's a poor device for kodi right now audio wise.

In my case the Stick can passtrhrough DTS only if Is directly connect to the AVR.
If the Stick Is connect to the TV It can't (NO ARC PROBLEM, DNLA works perfectly)
(2020-11-18, 19:37)fritsch Wrote: Jep, sadly - same for me. For the DTS-HD-MA we are responsible, we always fall back on the CORE (green light you know ...). For the DD+ things, yeah - sadly that's amazon doing.

Oh, ok.
To be honest I don't remember the behavior for DTS-HD-MA in the past. So you must be right, DTS-HD-MA output as core-DTS.

Hopefully someone manages to find a fix for the re-encode to DD+.
And lesson learnt - never set it to auto-update.
I read through the last few pages of this thread, but I'm confused whether there is a solution for the DTS problem on the FireTV Stick 4K.

I have a video that only has a DTS track:
  • if I passthrough to a Denon AVR, it lights up DTS but the sound is all distorted
  • if I disable pass-through, I get DD+ on the AVR which is strange, but at least usable

Is there a build and settings to make DTS pass-through work again? If not, what is the next best thing in terms of settings to get our sanity back?
There are some aftv4k and fritschfiretv builds here. What issues do they address? Anything that helps with DTS pass-through?
the aftv4k build is basically v19 beta1 with a fix for netflix stuttering
(2020-11-21, 18:32)wsnipex Wrote: the aftv4k build is basically v19 beta1 with a fix for netflix stuttering
Netflix in Kodi? I didn't know that was a thing. Smile
  • 85(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K3