• 205(current)
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
I have a Box 3 that I still haven't updated. How well does Kodi software decoder works for the HD sound formats that we can no longer passthrough with this update?

PS: I have a 5.1 receiver that support those formats but not more modern stuff like Atmos.
Read the previous pages of posts. Also post #1 of this thread.
Discussions about audio have been posted numerous times since V9.0 Pie Firmware came out.

I did and all I find was talk about losing or not losing the passthrough, didn't find any information about how good/capable Kodi in the Box 3 is decoding this formats in software and sending to the AV receiver vs using the passthrough.
None of the Xiaomi Mi Boxes can do Multichannel LPCM audio output from decoded 5.1 / 7.1 audio.

For Android Kodi you need to look at a Nvidia Shield or Amazon FireTV Stick 4K that supports Multichannel LPCM.

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply.

To be honest, I don't need Android at all, so I will keep on AndroidTV 8.0 for as much as I can and after that perhaps I will just move to an odroid. Time will tell.
Has someone found a way to safely avoid the update being installed without user permission?
I'm afraid the same may happen at some point just like when Xiaomi forced the update from 6.0 to Oreo. I was sleeping and the device on standby when it was updated a couple of years ago.

Thanks in advance.
(2020-11-01, 06:55)wrxtasy Wrote: If you want smooth video playback you need to use Kodi's auto Frame Rate Matching / Refresh Switching in Kodi settings.

I've now upgraded my mibox to the latest version and I've set the video settings in the Android setup to auto.

How do I select Kodi's auto Frame Rate Matching / Refresh Switching in Kodi settings?  I cannot find any place where there is a selection choice for auto Frame Rate Matching / Refresh Switching in the  Kodi settings.

Is it in the system area or in the player or elsewhere?  I'm in expert mode.  I've googled but there is discussion of the setting but I haven't found anything specifying where exactly to make the selection.

Thanks for your help.

BluegrassPicker
I didnt find any more sites that I can ask this question and after about two weeks of consistently researching about my situation, I figured I ask some help from you guys. 

I have a Xiaomi Mi Box 3 Global Version which I purchased from Aliexpress in 2018. 
It was on Android Oreo 8.1 but I updated it to Android Pie 9.0 recently this year. 
I have been using my trusted headphone by Meizu. Model is Meizu HD50 which I bought in 2016. it has served me well. 
I am now looking to buy a new headphone to use as I watch Movies from time to time at home. 
I recently found a 7.1 Xiaomi Gaming headphone which I am inclined to buy but just before I proceed with the purchase I would like to ask for some advice and opinion from others whether it is a good call to purchase it for movie purposes. 
From what I gathered from my previous research is that the headphone must be plugged to a computer to use the 7.1 paired with the xiaomi software for PC to use the 7.1.
Im thinking could I connect the headphone directly to the xiaomi mi box USB port and watch 7.1 / 5.1 videos and have the passthrough feature of the KODI player?

Regarding the Kodi, I found from my searches that since the Android pie update, kodi lost the passthrough support. Is this true?
To anyone who has experience regarding my situation please share your opinions. 
Xiaomi Mi box 3 Global Version on Android 9 ---> Xiaomi Gaming Headphone 7.1 plugged to the USB hub connected to the Mi Box --> play videos with 5.1/7.1 Audio using Kodi Player with Passthrough enabled = raw 7.1 Sound from videoHuh??

Any response will be appreciated as I am aiming for Xiaomi Gaming Headphone 7.1 if audio works 
if not, I will go for Meizu HD60 which is Hi-Res audio and bluetooth ready with Aptx support. 

Thank you
(2020-11-08, 19:35)Bluegrass Picker Wrote:
(2020-11-01, 06:55)wrxtasy Wrote: If you want smooth video playback you need to use Kodi's auto Frame Rate Matching / Refresh Switching in Kodi settings.

I've now upgraded my mibox to the latest version and I've set the video settings in the Android setup to auto.

How do I select Kodi's auto Frame Rate Matching / Refresh Switching in Kodi settings?  I cannot find any place where there is a selection choice for auto Frame Rate Matching / Refresh Switching in the  Kodi settings.

Is it in the system area or in the player or elsewhere?  I'm in expert mode.  I've googled but there is discussion of the setting but I haven't found anything specifying where exactly to make the selection.

Thanks for your help.

BluegrassPicker

Its easily found, settings > player I think. Mine is set to Always but I still have some frame skipping while watching 24fps content despite the fact that tv switch to 24 properly.

Is this issue because of 24/23.997 missmatching?
(2020-11-10, 13:51)banesi Wrote:
(2020-11-08, 19:35)Bluegrass Picker Wrote:

Thanks for your help.

BluegrassPicker

Its easily found, settings > player I think. Mine is set to Always but I still have some frame skipping while watching 24fps content despite the fact that tv switch to 24 properly.

Is this issue because of 24/23.997 missmatching?
Thanks, I'll check that out.

Not sure about the mis-match issue.

All the best,
BluegrassPicker
(2020-11-06, 13:22)wrxtasy Wrote: None of the Xiaomi Mi Boxes can do Multichannel LPCM audio output from decoded 5.1 / 7.1 audio.

For Android Kodi you need to look at a Nvidia Shield or Amazon FireTV Stick 4K that supports Multichannel LPCM.

If I'm not mistaken, Fire TV Cube does Multichannel LPCM and a workaround was just reported on the Fire TV Stick 4K forum page, for Multichannel LPCM as well.
Yes the 2019 FireTV Cube gen. 2 does Multichannel LPCM - and just read about the Fire TV Stick Multichannel workaround thx.

hello guys, sorry if you have answered this before but i couldn't find it anywhere... i have a "mi box s" is there an app or a player, or kodi addon that would let me play HDR content (outside VOD platforms) i downloaded a HDR video to show to my dad and i only have kodi installed and well kodi doesn't support HDR...is there any app i can download that can let me play HDR content from a file?

thanks so much.
(2020-11-15, 07:40)Siniestro Wrote: hello guys, sorry if you have answered this before but i couldn't find it anywhere... i have a "mi box s" is there an app or a player, or kodi addon that would let me play HDR content (outside VOD platforms) i downloaded a HDR video to show to my dad and i only have kodi installed and well kodi doesn't support HDR...is there any app i can download that can let me play HDR content from a file?

thanks so much.

Kodi does support HDR, specifically HDR10 for sure.
(2020-11-17, 17:53)foxbat121 Wrote:
(2020-11-15, 07:40)Siniestro Wrote: hello guys, sorry if you have answered this before but i couldn't find it anywhere... i have a "mi box s" is there an app or a player, or kodi addon that would let me play HDR content (outside VOD platforms) i downloaded a HDR video to show to my dad and i only have kodi installed and well kodi doesn't support HDR...is there any app i can download that can let me play HDR content from a file?

thanks so much.

Kodi does support HDR, specifically HDR10 for sure.

yes, i went to the mi box community and made it work but i have 3 random HDR videos that i downloaded to test the HDR and in kodi they don't work... i tested them in windows with MPC and madvr and they work fine.
  • 205(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21