• 51(current)
Win HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players
Fixed, read the driver notes 
• 442.74    2020-03-19 This is the last recommended fully working driver (HDR) for Win10 1909 and older
Thanks.
(2020-11-23, 23:09)tonys19 Wrote: Thanks.
Hi, 

With MadVR on a PC, will I get better picture quality on my TV than with my Shield TV Pro 2019 or CoreELEC / LibreELEC on android box?

I read a lot of contrary opinions on this.

Some people say yes largely, others yes slightly, others it's the same and even others that the Shield is better.

Thank you for your opinion.
If you are tone mapping HDR video for a projector, you can definitely get a better image with madVR. If you are just upscaling 1080p content to 4K, you might not notice the difference compared to the Shield.

Subjectively, madVR has superior video processing compared to the Shield, but it certainly isn't enough to justify building a PC and living with the inconvenience of it. The image quality will be similar to most with those with a discerning eye perhaps preferring the PC.
(2021-01-01, 12:59)Warner306 Wrote: If you are tone mapping HDR video for a projector, you can definitely get a better image with madVR. If you are just upscaling 1080p content to 4K, you might not notice the difference compared to the Shield.

Subjectively, madVR has superior video processing compared to the Shield, but it certainly isn't enough to justify building a PC and living with the inconvenience of it. The image quality will be similar to most with those with a discerning eye perhaps preferring the PC.
I have a projector, and use MadVR for tone mapping and upscaling. I can definitely see a difference in upscaling between MadVR and my Shield. I don't have the newer Shield, so I'm not sure if it would look better than the new Shield.
Nice information Mate
I had DSPlayer set as the default player, and I don't know what happened, but it's not loading now. I'm going through the settings, and I can't remember how to set it as the default player. Can someone please refresh my memory?
I figured it out, nevermind.
I have DSPlayer set up to use external filters. Some movies play good, and others have really high render times. If I switch back to internal filters, all my movies play great. What could cause that issue?
It could be a setting in your external filters or perhaps your configuration .xml is using the wrong filters. Press O during playback to see which filters are being used. And check to see if features such as hardware acceleration are configured correctly.

External and internal filters shouldn't show any significant difference in performance. If anything, the external filters could potentially perform faster.
(2021-01-27, 16:12)Warner306 Wrote: It could be a setting in your external filters or perhaps your configuration .xml is using the wrong filters. Press O during playback to see which filters are being used. And check to see if features such as hardware acceleration are configured correctly.

External and internal filters shouldn't show any significant difference in performance. If anything, the external filters could potentially perform faster.
This is how I have them set up. All of them are being used, except one still has the (i) next to it, which means it's using an internal filter, correct? LAV Splitter Source has the (i) next to it. All the others don't have it. Also, where are the hardware acceleration settings?
I believe the internal LAV Splitter Source is used if you play a streaming video source. Otherwise, you can stick with external filters for all of the major filters, including LAV Splitter Source. I am not certain of this, but I think that is how it works.

If you search for the external filters portion of the DSPlayer guide found in this forum, you should be able to find a download link for the external filters configuration file (.xml) that I have been using for quite some time to use with DSPlayer. 

Hardware acceleration will be found in the external control panel for LAV Video. Find LAV Video in your installed apps and configure from there.
(2021-01-27, 18:15)Warner306 Wrote: I believe the internal LAV Splitter Source is used if you play a streaming video source. Otherwise, you can stick with external filters for all of the major filters, including LAV Splitter Source. I am not certain of this, but I think that is how it works.

If you search for the external filters portion of the DSPlayer guide found in this forum, you should be able to find a download link for the external filters configuration file (.xml) that I have been using for quite some time to use with DSPlayer. 

Hardware acceleration will be found in the external control panel for LAV Video. Find LAV Video in your installed apps and configure from there.
It was a streaming source that showed LAV Splitter Source with the (i). I just played a bunch of movies from my external hard drive, and none of the filters has the (i) next to it. Also, I need to create this folder on the C: drive, and put LAV filters in there, correct? The folder created when installing LAV filters with the exe install, is not the right folder, from my experience.
Here's my LAV video settings. Image
I wonder, is there a preset out there for my GPU, that I can easily copy? I don't really trust my current settings to be the best, because I don't really understand what I am doing. What's the easiest way to share my settings with you guys? Perhaps you can help me optimize my settings, that would be great!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2600
GPU: nvidia GTX 1060 6gb
monitor: 2560x1440

I have profiles for 576p, 720p, 1080p, 1440p (do I even need this?) and 2160p; each 30FPS and 60FPS.

Chroma upscaling: everywhere NGU, AA LQ

Image downscaling: everywhere SSIM: 1D 100%, scale in linear light, activate anti-ringing filter (relaxed)

Image upscaling:
  • For over all 1440p and 2160p profiles: Jinc + activate anti-ringing filter
  • For both 1080p:
    • NGU sharp,
    • algorithm quality:
      • luma doubling -> high 
      • luma quadrupling -> let madVR decide 
      • chroma -> let madVR decide
    • activate ...
      • doubling -> let madVR decide 
      • quadrupling -> let madVR decide
    • more scales: