• 87(current)
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
Android with Mediacodec Surface does HDR, some devices even DV since a very long time. It bypasses basically everything in kodi, we only get the frames from the blackbox and EDIT: don't render it - we only track them in RenderManager, so that it's smooth. Blackbox like amlogic, you give frames in and hope for the best.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-11-25, 13:04)fbi1970 Wrote:
(2020-11-25, 12:31)mountainhill2 Wrote:
(2020-11-25, 11:56)fbi1970 Wrote: Sorry to not read all the thread...
I'd like to get a Firestick 4K to be used together a Samsung Q60T.
Is Kodi 19 beta 1 able to use the HDR of the TV?
I get HDR even on Leia (v18).
My TV is LG B8, but I don't think TV model matters?
I wrote the model just to assure all that it's HDR capable.

I wonder that HDR is available even on Leia. According to my knowledge HDR was available only on amlogic with their patches (I mean CoreELEC).
I'm following also development of LibreELEC and they've not yet a release with HDR fully enabled (but that is based on Linux Kernel).

The real question is: is Android Kodi 19 beta 1 capable of HDR?
The announcement states that it is platform dependent, but nowhere I can find info on which platform.

Thanks
I was replying specifically for AFTV4K.
A bit off topic, but is it worth replacing an AFTV 4K stick with the new Chromecast w/ Google TV? Does Kodi work better on it? I don't care much for the Amazon "experience" in general.
Hello everybody. I installed Kodi on my new Fire Stick 4K yesterday, and yesterday it was working fine. But today it's developed a strange fault where, if the output resolution is 2160p, it only shows a picture in the top left quadrant of the screen - the rest of the screen is black. Any idea what might be causing that?
(2020-11-26, 22:44)sirmedia Wrote: A bit off topic, but is it worth replacing an AFTV 4K stick with the new Chromecast w/ Google TV? Does Kodi work better on it? I don't care much for the Amazon "experience" in general.
Nope. It's not any better than the 4K stick and currently has issues until Google pushes updates to it. However, if you can't stand the Amazon experience, you should probably get it. Read the Chromecast with Google TV thread and see if those issues are a dealbreaker to you.

(2020-11-26, 23:43)Shasarak Wrote: Hello everybody. I installed Kodi on my new Fire Stick 4K yesterday, and yesterday it was working fine. But today it's developed a strange fault where, if the output resolution is 2160p, it only shows a picture in the top left quadrant of the screen - the rest of the screen is black. Any idea what might be causing that?
1) Make sure your 4K Stick is updated to the latest firmware using the FireTV settings on the stick.
2) Make sure you're using the fritshfiretv build from this thread or a stable, up-to-date, Kodi version.
All the talk about speaker settings the settings, what I use are, "best available" for the surround sound settings for the Firestick 4K. In Kodi I set the speakers to 7.1 if I am going surround sound PCM and turn off passthrough. For Dolby digital, DD plus, or DTS I turn on Passthrough.

The weird part is for bit perfect stereo. The only settings that allow 44.1 CD rips is setting the speakers to 5.0! And I have to click the upmix box! That makes no sense but it does work perfectly. I tested some DTS CD files that are wrapped in FLAC files made with Audiomuxer and the DTS is passed through to my DTS decoder perfectly. If I put the speakers on any other settings than 5.0, it doesn't work. I have a few different devices running Kodi and these strange settings are ONLY for the Firestick 4K. Any other settings I get either Dolby Digital Plus or 48 khz on 44.1 khz CD rips. Go figure...
(2020-11-17, 12:44)mountainhill2 Wrote: AAC will be re-encoded to DD+.
Previously AAC was output as PCM.
Experienced the same thing, AAC 7.1 ends up as DD+ 2.0 on the AVR, not even 5.1 at least Sad Have to set the AFTV stick itself to 2.0 stereo to get multi-channel PCM, but that's a pain to switch back and forth all the time when using other streaming apps.
(2020-11-10, 18:56)fritsch Wrote: Cool. Yet another workaround. So that means either passthrough or lpcm. Nice. Makes even sense: where should they transcode it to when user cannot do dd+ :-).

I tried the workaround to get aac to play as multichannel by changing the AFTV sound settings to 'stereo' as previously mentioned. My Denon receiver now shows multichannel on the lcd display but has no audio out of the surround speakers. Front speakers work fine but no surrounds.  Before the AFTV firmware update that prompted this 'workaround' multichannel always worked as expected for me.  Any suggestions? I pasted and saved my debug log to paste.kodi.tv. The link it gave me is https://paste.kodi.tv/akazoyimag.kodi    Also I'm using Kodi 18.9
No suggestions - and no intention to workaround amazon firmware shortcomings. I only fix stuff where kodi is wrong.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-11-28, 11:36)fritsch Wrote: No suggestions - and no intention to workaround amazon firmware shortcomings. I only fix stuff where kodi is wrong.

IF I bought one of the new Google Chromecasts with Google tv would I be able to play 5.1 channel aac in Multichannel like the Firestick 4k used to be able to?
I think the best workaround for now is to let Kodi transcode to DD to get proper multi-channel. That means set Kodi audio setting to 2.0 and then enable pass-through for DD and DD+ only and enable transcoding. Does that sound correct?
(2020-11-28, 17:55)porter944 Wrote:
(2020-11-28, 11:36)fritsch Wrote: No suggestions - and no intention to workaround amazon firmware shortcomings. I only fix stuff where kodi is wrong.

IF I bought one of the new Google Chromecasts with Google tv would I be able to play 5.1 channel aac in Multichannel like the Firestick 4k used to be able to?
CCGTV has its own issues right now, but I suspect long term it will be a better choice, easier for Google to keep it up to date on latest Android. I ordered one even though I do have a CC 4K already, the remote alone is worth it to me, I'm not a fan of using my phone to cast things, apps have to support casting, etc.
"Long term" is a term that you should directly forget for a 50 dollar device. Long term is something that does not exist in tech :-)
(2020-11-28, 19:48)fritsch Wrote: "Long term" is a term that you should directly forget for a 50 dollar device. Long term is something that does not exist in tech :-)

Long term to me means upgrading every couple years which is fine at $50. If the CCGTV doesn't lock up on HDMI-CEC like my AFTV4K does frequently, it's an upgrade in itself.
(2020-11-28, 20:18)sirmedia Wrote:
(2020-11-28, 19:48)fritsch Wrote: "Long term" is a term that you should directly forget for a 50 dollar device. Long term is something that does not exist in tech :-)

Long term to me means upgrading every couple years which is fine at $50. If the CCGTV doesn't lock up on HDMI-CEC like my AFTV4K does frequently, it's an upgrade in itself.

Lock up in what way?  I've had the 4K Stick since they first came out, and I'm not aware of that issue.
  • 87(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K3