• 52(current)
Linux ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel
(2020-11-22, 00:43)clbn Wrote: ... However, it seems it's not really a plug-n-play device I can buy and use right away, but still a somewhat DIY project, where I have to buy separate parts (N2+, case, power supply, memory), flash CoreELEC OS myself, etc. Did I get it right?
Hi clbn!
The CoreElec edition is a bundle that comes along with a case, power supply and SD card with CoreElec already installed.
I saw Hardkernel only have the N2 bundle, but not the N2+ one. I did find it on its uk reseller.

Best
Hi guys!

I'm looking also for a 4K Kodi mediaplayer, and found @wrxtasy recommendation.
I was just looking around CoreElec webpage and found Beelink as supporter along with Hardkernel (odroid).

I've found Beelink GT-King and GT-King Pro, which come along with a remote control and the boxes look slim and nice.
Any idea if performance and format compatibility should be similar to N2 and N2+ as they have (I think) the same chipset?

Thanks
(2020-11-25, 17:39)juanmablanco Wrote:
(2020-11-22, 00:43)clbn Wrote: ... However, it seems it's not really a plug-n-play device I can buy and use right away, but still a somewhat DIY project, where I have to buy separate parts (N2+, case, power supply, memory), flash CoreELEC OS myself, etc. Did I get it right?
The CoreElec edition is a bundle that comes along with a case, power supply and SD card with CoreElec already installed.
I saw Hardkernel only have the N2 bundle, but not the N2+ one. I did find it on its uk reseller.
Ah, right, found it on Odroid's UK website now. So it's a real ready-to-use kit I can buy, and in this case no need to flash/install anything myself. Thank you!
(2020-11-25, 19:21)clbn Wrote:
(2020-11-25, 17:39)juanmablanco Wrote:
Ah, right, found it on Odroid's UK website now. So it's a real ready-to-use kit I can buy, and in this case no need to flash/install anything myself. Thank you!
Is there a remote in the kit?
(2020-11-25, 21:02)bubblegum57 Wrote:
(2020-11-25, 19:21)clbn Wrote:
(2020-11-25, 17:39)juanmablanco Wrote: The CoreElec edition is a bundle that comes along with a case, power supply and SD card with CoreElec already installed.
Is there a remote in the kit?
I think there's no remote, at least in this one: https://www.odroid.co.uk/CoreElec4GB
Anyone know if the Corelec N+ edition will make it to the US shopping site?
(2020-11-25, 17:45)juanmablanco Wrote: Hi guys!

I'm looking also for a 4K Kodi mediaplayer, and found @wrxtasy recommendation.
I was just looking around CoreElec webpage and found Beelink as supporter along with Hardkernel (odroid).

I've found Beelink GT-King and GT-King Pro, which come along with a remote control and the boxes look slim and nice.
Any idea if performance and format compatibility should be similar to N2 and N2+ as they have (I think) the same chipset?

Thanks

They will all use an AMLogic S922X chipset.

The GT-King Pro uses a -H chipset variant which adds DTS and Dolby Audio Licences to it's Android OS.
If you run CoreELEC Kodi, those Android audio licences are redundant and not needed.

The GT-King's & other AMLogic chipset Android devices already included eMMC Storage so there is no need to buy a seperate eMMC module.

The advantage with the ODROID N2+ is it has a properly engineered heatsink included which allows the S922X chipset to be clocked higher vs Beelink competition if you are chasing that little bit extra.
There is also included a high quality DAC for those that still have a old quality analog audio receiver.
And it's very easy to re-flash a Plugable eMMC module if things go wrong vs internal eMMC on Android boxes.

Personally I would be looking at a better remote vs what Beelink include in their products, the new RF Wireless - WeChip G40S (click), with user programmable Infra Red would fit the bill nicely.

Really it depends what you want and also cost and availability I suspect.

W.

(2020-11-30, 09:01)wrxtasy Wrote: The advantage with the ODROID N2+ is it has a properly engineered heatsink included which allows the S922X chipset to be clocked higher vs Beelink competition if you are chasing that little bit extra.
There is also included a high quality DAC for those that still have a old quality analog audio receiver.
And it's very easy to re-flash a Plugable eMMC module if things go wrong vs internal eMMC on Android boxes.
Thank you for your kind and helpful answer!
I will take a look on both hardkernel and odroid.co.uk for the N2+. I suppose it will also have a better support in the future.

Just a couple of questions regarding an only Kodi use (I've been using a Wetek Core for more than 4 years, and I'm only changing it because I've changed my TV and the Core struggles with 4K content):
Is there a way to power on the board from the remote you recommend? For just CoreElec Kodi use, eMMC would be a noticiable improve or is it not worth the cost?

Regards
(2020-11-30, 11:37)juanmablanco Wrote:
(2020-11-30, 09:01)wrxtasy Wrote: The advantage with the ODROID N2+ is it has a properly engineered heatsink included which allows the S922X chipset to be clocked higher vs Beelink competition if you are chasing that little bit extra.
Thank you for your kind and helpful answer!
I will take a look on both hardkernel and odroid.co.uk for the N2+. I suppose it will also have a better support in the future.

Just a couple of questions regarding an only Kodi use (I've been using a Wetek Core for more than 4 years, and I'm only changing it because I've changed my TV and the Core struggles with 4K content):
Is there a way to power on the board from the remote you recommend? For just CoreElec Kodi use, eMMC would be a noticiable improve or is it not worth the cost?

Regards

If you are in the UK or the EU - make sure to purchase from a UK or EU-based dealer to benefit from UK/EU consumer protection.  Last time I checked HardKernel only guaranteed their products for something like 28 days - and although the majority of users are very happy with their products, there have been QC issues in the past and a number of documented failures outside their warranty period, where Hardkernel have been less than helpful.

I've got Hardkernel products and have been reasonably happy with them - but would always advise caution in choosing your purchase route to ensure you get the full protection of EU/UK consumer law.
What are the known issues with N2+ Coreelec image quality? I'm running 9.2.5 and have had a frustrating start.

First I noticed issues with chroma test patterns having weird temporal artifacts. After disabling noise reduction in Coreelec settings, 4k playback seems good. (This also fixed loss of detail.)

Lower resolutions are giving me issues though. It looks like some progressive content is handled as interlaced, and there is loss of vertical resolution. I tried the `echo 1 > /sys/module/di/parameters/bypass_all` setting, but that didn't seem to have any effect. When playing a 1080p25 or 1080p29.97 video, `/sys/devices/platform/deinterlace/deinterlace/di0/frame_format` shows `interlace`.
(2020-12-08, 06:53)lmyllari Wrote: What are the known issues with N2+ Coreelec image quality? I'm running 9.2.5 and have had a frustrating start.

First I noticed issues with chroma test patterns having weird temporal artifacts. After disabling noise reduction in Coreelec settings, 4k playback seems good. (This also fixed loss of detail.)

Lower resolutions are giving me issues though. It looks like some progressive content is handled as interlaced, and there is loss of vertical resolution. I tried the `echo 1 > /sys/module/di/parameters/bypass_all` setting, but that didn't seem to have any effect. When playing a 1080p25 or 1080p29.97 video, `/sys/devices/platform/deinterlace/deinterlace/di0/frame_format` shows `interlace`.

Not sure if this is relevant - but Blu-rays of content shot at 1080p25 are released 1080i25 interlaced - the Blu-ray spec only included support for 1080p24, 1080i25 and 1080i30 (*) 1080 line formats (no 1080p25).  

Lossless rips of TV series shot p25 will be released on HD Blu-rays usually as i25 (even though the content is 25fps progressive with no intra-frame motion between fields). Some are slowed down to p24 and released as 1080p24 (first series of Downton Abbey is one example)

(And yes - the noise reduction adds some pretty nasty artefacts - it's the first thing I check is disabled on AMLogic platforms)

My main sources viewed on AMLogic devices are actually 1080i and 576i DVB TV streams - so I guess I've never looked to closely at what it does with native progressive content.
(2019-02-13, 17:49)wrxtasy Wrote: HD audio passthrough inc. Atmos & also Multichannel 7.1 LPCM audio (for 192kHz FLAC / AAC):
In CoreELEC Kodi Settings > System > Audio, on the bottom left of screen select Advanced.

For Kodi - Audio output device: select > ALSA: AML-AUGESOUND, HDMI Multi Ch PCM
Set the Kodi Audio channels to 5.1 or 7.1

Then in that same Audio configuration section,
Enable the Audio Passthrough options you need. Do NOT enable EAC3 transcoding.

HD Atmos is also enabled when you select Dolby TrueHD audio passthru.
Hi @wrxtasy 
I just got a new AVR (Onkyo TX NR575) that support 4K/HDR/DV passtrough and also all the audio encodings (like TrueHD, DTS-HD, Atmos, etc).
I connected the N2 to AVR. 
I'm confused what audio settings should I use?

Number of channels: does it matter? I can have 7.2 bit atm I'm only using stereo. Should I set it 7.1?
Audio outpu device= ALSA: AML-AUGESOUND, HDMI is selected now, and I have Alllow passhtrough set to ON, device is HDMI, and enabled all options (since all are supported by AVR). 
Is the above the correct? Or I should set Audio output to HDMI Multi Ch PCM? Can't figure out the differences.

Another issue, maybe you saw it already and can help me to fix or troubleshoot. 
Lates Coreelec on N2, AVR Onkyo, Panasonic GX800 Tv. CEC works fine, until I change inpot to TV (DVB-C) or Netflix app on TV. If I switch back to HDMI2, I don't have CEC. I need to run Viera link app and select player again, than CEC is back. Any ideas what could I try?
Hi!

Has anyone put a SPDIF output in a N2?
I bought a LG CX, and after a few days I realized it doesn't allow DTS passthrough (I have a very old AVR with no HDMI) and LG doesn't have intention to allow it via firmware update No . So I would need to connect the N2+ to the AVR via Toslink.
I found some people welded a SPDIF connector, but didn't find exactly how, neither found a "pre-made module" to easily put it. 

Otherwise I would likely sell the N2+ and look for a Vero 4K+ (it's a pitty I didn't found this LG CX "flaw" before buying the N2+).
Regards
(2020-12-10, 23:07)juanmablanco Wrote: I bought a LG CX, and after a few days I realized it doesn't allow DTS passthrough (I have a very old AVR with no HDMI) and LG doesn't have intention to allow it via firmware update No . So I would need to connect the N2+ to the AVR via Toslink.
Are you shure of that? I ask because all LG models I know of can passthrough DTS, AC3, eAC3 and AAC - all with 5.1 channels (not higher) from HDMi input to optical output.
My CoreElec boxes are all connected to various LG TVs with HDMI cables, and 5.1 multichannel sound is fed from LG optical OUT to AV receivers. Kodi is set to Ch. no 2.0 and passthrough via HDMI, and LGs are set to output digital audio via Optical output...

Also read this on the subject
LG did drop support for DTS with the X series TVs but I thought that was DTS decoding.

Passthrough shouldn't matter but perhaps that's affected too.
  • 52(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel4