• 89(current)
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
(2020-11-30, 03:50)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-11-29, 21:01)Shasarak Wrote: So, a couple of things I'm trying to figure out.

1) When I play an HDR video on YouTube, using the Kodi YouTube add-on, the Fire Stick doesn't correctly signal the TV to switch to HDR mode. (The same video played using the YouTube app correctly switches to HDR, so it's not an inherent hardware limitation. I don't want to use the YouTube app because it doesn't support frame rate switching!)
Sideload the SmartTubeNext App and Nuke Google Advertising whilst doing so:

https://www.xda-developers.com/smarttube...ndroid-tv/
Quote:4) Not a Kodi question exactly, but is there any accessory that will enable gigabit Ethernet? Or at least Ethernet which is limited only by USB 2.0 speed? I'm using the official Amazon Ethernet adapter, but it seems to be limited to 100Mbit/s, which isn't enough to play a particularly demanding 4K Blu Ray rip.
See page #1 of this thread for a 480Mbps Ethernet adapter suggestion.
Hi wrxtasy, thanks for your work in Kodi.
I follow a lot of your posts and they help me a lot in choosing/fixing HW to run Kodi.

With regards to UGreen USB/Ethernet Adapter to AFTV4K, I only get around 100 Mbps top.
It's very stable compared to using WiFi surely, but it is not fast enough to stream 4K DV sample videos.
Do you have any recommendation?
(2020-11-30, 03:50)wrxtasy Wrote: Sideload the SmartTubeNext App and Nuke Google Advertising whilst doing so:

It took me a minute to figure out how to enable frame rate switching, but now that I have, this is working quite nicely. Resolution switching too! Very neat!

(2020-11-30, 03:50)wrxtasy Wrote: See page #1 of this thread for a 480Mbps Ethernet adapter suggestion.
Have now found this on Amazon UK (I think!) so I'll give it a go.

(2020-11-30, 04:39)sirmedia Wrote: What is the actual bitrate of the file? Do you think the AFTV4K hardware is capable of playing that high of a bitrate? Are you sure your limit is really the network?
I'm fairly sure. I'm getting smooth playback alternated with periods of buffering. I was using a test clip taken from Billy Lynn's Long Half-Time Walk, which is 4K/60fps and has a very high bit-rate. It's worth a try, anyway.
(2020-11-30, 03:50)wrxtasy Wrote: Sideload the SmartTubeNext App and Nuke Google Advertising whilst doing so:

Question, does "SmartTubeNext" have any advantage over Smart YouTube TV, which I use on this stick?
(2020-11-30, 12:29)Sholander Wrote:

Question, does "SmartTubeNext" have any advantage over Smart YouTube TV, which I use on this stick?
Well since the original dev is going to replace it, I would say so. I personally like it but you may not get all the features you want until the beta period is over.
Any way to play back a single layer Dolby Vision remux properly on the Fire Stick 4k?
(2020-11-30, 12:29)Sholander Wrote:

I thinks i have installed regular YouTube app (v. 2.3.375.0) and 4K HDR files are played fine
Hi - is there anyway to play Dolby Vision content (.mp4 files) in Kodi using Fire Stick 4k? Something like this -> https://paste.kodi.tv/favesunolo

Thanks.
(2020-12-01, 22:59)gilsonsjc Wrote: Hi - is there anyway to play Dolby Vision content (.mp4 files) in Kodi using Fire Stick 4k? Something like this -> https://paste.kodi.tv/favesunolo

Thanks.

I just asked the same question. The file you show is dual-layer so no.

Single layer DV playback should be possible with Matrix 19 B1 build, but I can't seem to get it to work. It outputs it in standard HDR or in SDR.
(2020-12-01, 23:21)Wagg Wrote:
(2020-12-01, 22:59)gilsonsjc Wrote: Hi - is there anyway to play Dolby Vision content (.mp4 files) in Kodi using Fire Stick 4k? Something like this -> https://paste.kodi.tv/favesunolo

Thanks.

I just asked the same question. The file you show is dual-layer so no.

Single layer DV playback should be possible with Matrix 19 B1 build, but I can't seem to get it to work. It outputs it in standard HDR or in SDR.
How do you tell whether or not a file is dual-layer or single layer?
(2020-12-02, 01:19)gilsonsjc Wrote: How do you tell whether or not a file is dual-layer or single layer?
If it's taken from a 4K blu ray, it's dual-layer. (And very few media players can handle that).

Single-layer is what's used by Netflix and Disney+ (and most DV sample videos you'll find on the Internet).
Yesterday FireTV 4K updated to FireOS 6.2.7.7 (NS6277/3025), since then, all passthrough audio stopped working completly on kodi 18.9 plugged in my Onkyo receiver.

After some research I've discovered I'm not the only one with this problem, hope posting here will yield a solution ! If someone has experienced the same issue and found a solution please share !

Thanks
(2020-12-04, 02:41)krugz101 Wrote: Yesterday FireTV 4K updated to FireOS 6.2.7.7 (NS6277/3025), since then, all passthrough audio stopped working completly on kodi 18.9 plugged in my Onkyo receiver.

After some research I've discovered I'm not the only one with this problem, hope posting here will yield a solution ! If someone has experienced the same issue and found a solution please share !

Thanks
I'm seeing the same. I thought it was the new movies I encoded. Then I tried some older ones and they no longer worked. An
(2020-12-04, 02:41)krugz101 Wrote: Yesterday FireTV 4K updated to FireOS 6.2.7.7 (NS6277/3025), since then, all passthrough audio stopped working completly on kodi 18.9 plugged in my Onkyo receiver.

Thanks
ETA: Ignore the following. A couple of additional reboots and a power cycle later, 6.2.7.7 is back to normal even with the stick's Surround Sound set to "Best available." While the audio was misbehaving, I was finding the Kodi Exit button was also hanging, which is what was causing me to manually reboot and power cycle, and now that's fixed, too. Weird.

This release is cursed. I'd posted a few days ago that unlike some others, 6.2.7.6 was still fine with my Pioneer AVR and Matrix beta 1, but 6.2.7.7 forces me to change the stick audio setting to "PCM only" for my Kodi Fixed 7.1 to continue working. Without this, Fixed 7.1 and passthrough either produce no audio or play as PCM for a couple seconds before the video freezes. Moreover, it takes a few seconds for the video to begin to play. Fortunately, making the aforementioned change to the stick settings lets my preferred Kodi 7.1 Fixed work as before, with my AVR showing a constant 7.1 PCM, so I'm still good, at least as far as I've tested, which includes multichannel DTSMA, DTS, TrueHD, DD, AAC, and stereo FLAC.
(2020-12-04, 04:08)crawfish Wrote:

Thanks
This release is cursed. I'd posted a few days ago that unlike some others, 6.2.7.6 was still fine with my Pioneer AVR and Matrix beta 1, but 6.2.7.7 forces me to change the stick audio setting to "PCM only" for my Kodi Fixed 7.1 to continue working. Without this, Fixed 7.1 and passthrough either produce no audio or play as PCM for a couple seconds before the video freezes. Moreover, it takes a few seconds for the video to begin to play. Fortunately, making the aforementioned change to the stick settings lets my preferred Kodi 7.1 Fixed work as before, with my AVR showing a constant 7.1 PCM, so I'm still good, at least as far as I've tested, which includes multichannel DTSMA, DTS, TrueHD, DD, AAC, and stereo FLAC.

I just turned off passthrough in Kodi, I still seem to get dolby digital + on almost everything I use it for and this doesn't affect the sound on other apps I use on the firestick. Let's hope a fix gets found soon cause this greatly dimishes the value of the stick for me...
(2020-12-04, 05:25)krugz101 Wrote: I just turned off passthrough in Kodi, I still seem to get dolby digital + on almost everything I use it for and this doesn't affect the sound on other apps I use on the firestick. Let's hope a fix gets found soon cause this greatly dimishes the value of the stick for me...

Please see the ETA I just added to my message before yours. My problem at least seems to have magically solved itself.
  • 89(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K3