Kodi shuts down after 1 minute when used as Background Music Player
When I play music in Kodi on my Xbox One X everything is fine if I am "in" Kodi. If I "leave" Kodi to play a game, or even just go to the Xbox Dashboard, with Kodi playing the music in the background Kodi will shut down after exactly 1 minute.

I'm not even sure if this is actually a bug or error as it's always exactly 60 seconds after moving to another app or game. This leads me to think it's some sort of "power saving" type feature in Kodi and whoever programmed it didn't anticipate people using it to play music whilst using other apps like games. If so this is a real oversight in my opinion as Kodi would be the best Background Music Player on Xbox One if it stayed open. The only other Background Music Player that allows you to play your own music files off of USB costs $1 and it isn't very good (no playlists, clunky menus etc (incidentally, I would gladly pay more than $1 to have Kodi work as a Background Music Player on Xbox One)).

I've also combed through the settings in Kodi looking for some kind of idle shut down or power saver setting but none of the ones I could find are timed for 1 minute exactly and I've switched them all off anyway.

I'm posting a link to my old.log but I doubt it will tell anyone anything useful as I suspect this is something Kodi just "does" due to oversight. :S

https://paste.kodi.tv/ayudehufap

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Seriously? Not a single reply?
(2020-12-16, 15:21)Top Dollar Wrote: Seriously? Not a single reply?

It can happen. Not everyone has a Microsoft Xbox One X to begin with.

You could try to create a new/clean setup, without extra bells or whistles like the ace2 skin.
Just the bare necessities to play music. If the one minute is still stopping Kodi, I'd be surprised.
I'm not a Windows person, but maybe there is something going on in terms of background services.
The very end of your log shows "CInputManager::HandleKey: blue (0xe6) pressed, action is Pause". What is the purpose of this key-press, were you in Kodi when you pressed it? Perhaps the Controller is still binded to Kodi despite you running it in the background.
(2020-12-12, 20:10)Top Dollar Wrote: This leads me to think it's some sort of "power saving" type feature in Kodi and whoever programmed it didn't anticipate people using it to play music whilst using other apps like games.
I can play Music in the background all day long using Kodi on a Windows 10 PC, so any issue is more likely related to something the Xbox is doing, rather than Kodi. I am using the Desktop version so it's possible as you are using the App version that there is some power saving going on within the Xbox OS somewhere.
(2020-12-16, 15:42)FXB78 Wrote:
The very end of your log shows "CInputManager::HandleKey: blue (0xe6) pressed, action is Pause". What is the purpose of this key-press, were you in Kodi when you pressed it? Perhaps the Controller is still binded to Kodi despite you running it in the background.

Nope. I didn't press anything on the controller. I've tested this multiple times with my hands not even touching the controller.

To clarify, the steps are:

1. I open up Kodi.
2. I play a music track.
3. I press the dashboard button and press Home (or a game)
4. The Home dashboard (or game) loads up.
5. I place the controller on my table and don't touch it while the music is playing in the background.
6. After exactly 1 minute - precisely 60 seconds - the music stops.
7. Clicking on Kodi again opens it from the beginning as though it was shut down.

For some reason Kodi seems to think a command is being given to close despite no buttons actually being pressed, and it's always after exactly 60 seconds.

On the other hand, if I stay in Kodi and don't move to the Home dashboard or a game the music plays fine and doesn't stop after 60 seconds, nor does Kodi shut itself down.

I'm at a total loss as to what could be causing this.
Oh, and I'm pretty sure now this must be a bug because Kodi actually has a mini-interface for music in the Xbox dashboard, like all the background music apps, so it was clearly designed to be used as a Background Music Player on Xbox. Something is just stopping it from working as intended.
(2020-12-16, 15:49)FXB78 Wrote:
(2020-12-12, 20:10)Top Dollar Wrote: IThis leads me to think it's some sort of "power saving" type feature in Kodi and whoever programmed it didn't anticipate people using it to play music whilst using other apps like games.
I can play Music in the background all day long using Kodi on a Windows 10 PC, so any issue is more likely related to something the Xbox is doing, rather than Kodi. I am using the Desktop version so it's possible as you are using the App version that there is some power saving going on within the Xbox OS somewhere.
I have checked and double checked through all the Xbox settings and I have every kind of power saving feature set to "off", even the ones that shouldn't have any effect on Kodi, and still the same results.

A Windows 10 PC is not an Xbox One, so just because it works on that is no indicator that the fault is on my Xbox.

Next time I speak to my friend who also owns an Xbox One I'm going to ask him to download Kodi and test it on his, then I'll know for certain whether it's a Kodi problem or an Xbox problem. Although, considering every other BMP app doesn't have this problem, I'm fairly certain it's a Kodi problem.
Doesn't seem to have anything to do with music playing. Kodi just shuts down after a short time period of not being the active app. I'd always assumed this was intended.
(2021-01-02, 15:30)Hamsterkill Wrote: Doesn't seem to have anything to do with music playing. Kodi just shuts down after a short time period of not being the active app. I'd always assumed this was intended.

If that's intended it's the most brain dead decision the Kodi developers could've possibly made.

Why design the Xbox version of your app with a Background Music interface if you're going to leave it totally unusable as a Background Music Player? It makes no sense at all and, again, this just confirms my original suspicions: this is an oversight on the part of the Kodi developers.

So where do we go to leave feedback on future updates to Kodi?

BTW, a quick look at the Reviews section for the Kodi app on Xbox shows that many people report being able to use it for background music but that this suddenly stopped working after an update. Someone has clearly screwed up somewhere.
(2021-01-09, 21:54)Top Dollar Wrote:
(2021-01-02, 15:30)Hamsterkill Wrote: Doesn't seem to have anything to do with music playing. Kodi just shuts down after a short time period of not being the active app. I'd always assumed this was intended.

If that's intended it's the most brain dead decision the Kodi developers could've possibly made.

Why design the Xbox version of your app with a Background Music interface if you're going to leave it totally unusable as a Background Music Player? It makes no sense at all and, again, this just confirms my original suspicions: this is an oversight on the part of the Kodi developers.

BTW, a quick look at the Reviews section for the Kodi app on Xbox shows that many people report being able to use it for background music but that this suddenly stopped working after an update. Someone has clearly screwed up somewhere.
You seem to be making accusations and assumptions based on absolutely nothing at all. So Kodi used to work but they removed the functionality, do you think this is the case? The brain-dead Kodi devs removed background functionality for no reason?

As you said, it worked previously and now it doesn't, so doesn't that make you think that a firmware update by the brain-dead Microsoft devs probably broke it? Why don't you enquire with them before throwing around accusations in here based on nothing more than your 'suspicions'.
(2021-01-09, 22:12)FXB78 Wrote:
(2021-01-09, 21:54)Top Dollar Wrote:

You seem to be making accusations and assumptions based on absolutely nothing at all. So Kodi used to work but they removed the functionality, do you think this is the case? The brain-dead Kodi devs removed background functionality for no reason?

As you said, it worked previously and now it doesn't, so doesn't that make you think that a firmware update by the brain-dead Microsoft devs probably broke it? Why don't you enquire with them before throwing around accusations in here based on nothing more than your 'suspicions'.

Firstly, I didn't call the Kodi developers brain-dead. I said their decision to make Kodi shut down if it's not the active app on Xbox was brain-dead. Which it was. The smartest people make stupid mistakes occasionally.

Secondly, no, I don't think they deliberately removed background music functionality for no reason. I think someone added this automatic shut down feature if Kodi is not the active app and it didn't occur to them that a side-effect of this would be breaking the background music feature. Hence why I used the word OVERSIGHT. This is precisely what makes it a brain-dead move: Kodi is designed to be used as a background music player on Xbox because it has the in-dashboard interface for it but is entirely unusable in this way because of some "power-saving" feature that breaks it.

Thirdly, when I said the reviews indicate it used to work but stopped after an update, I meant an update to KODI, not the Xbox firmware, as this is what the reviews assert. And no, I don't think an Xbox firmware update caused it as it doesn't happen to literally any other background music app on Xbox.

Lastly, any enquiry to Microsoft about why Kodi is no longer working as a background music player will result in being told to "enquire with the Kodi developers." And in this one instance, Microsoft would be right: any app on the Xbox has to be designed to run on the Xbox's operating system - if an app fails to function properly on that operating system then it's down to the app's developer to program the app correctly. This is how it works on all platforms.

It's amazing to me how when a product is defective fanboys will rush to its defense, insisting that there's nothing wrong with it and the fault lies somewhere else. I expect this from Apple users, surprised to see it in the Kodi world.
So no one from Kodi is even going to acknowledge this?
There are no active team members doing Xbox dev.
Nothing was changed in Kodi, so presumably a change on the Xbox side of things makes it not possible any longer without some Dev changes.
(2021-02-13, 23:50)Fuzzard Wrote: There are no active team members doing Xbox dev.
Nothing was changed in Kodi, so presumably a change on the Xbox side of things makes it not possible any longer without some Dev changes.
Ok, so basically Kodi doesn't work on Xbox One and the Kodi devs have no plans to make it work, despite putting an unusable version of it on the Xbox Store as, what? Some kind of prank? Hilarious.

Ok, great, time to uninstall this waste of hard disk space and back to using the crappy Background Music Player app (which somehow still manages to work despite being made by one single individual).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi shuts down after 1 minute when used as Background Music Player0