• 105(current)
[WINDOWS] External Player Support Thread
@PatK 

The context menu option is a good idea, although in this instance I wouldn't be able to make use of it. You see, the file I'm trying to assign to Kodi's internal player is a trailer inside the corresponding movie's folder. Last I checked, you cannot choose players when opening a trailer from within the movie info screen. It'll default to mpc-BE in my case since I set this up to be the standard video player in playercorefactory.xml. But I would like to open this specific file with Kodi's internal player.
(2020-09-18, 02:51)Cinephile Wrote: a trailer inside the corresponding movie's folder
Before the add-on 'Extras' was available and the -trailer designation for the advanced settings, I was plagued with dual media listings for the trailers and any extra media, some of those listing still exist on my set-up (yes dust bunnies in my library) and of course I can re-title the name as 'movie-name trailer' and have whatever play them. Ok; it's not the fix you want, but it's a work-round.
I don't understand why the following plays everything with MPC-HC when I'm trying to only play HDR files with it.  as I have files named such as A Star Is Born (2018) - BLURAY-2160P.TRUEHD.ATMOS.7.1.X265.10Bit.HDR.[tt1517451][332562].mkv, I figured this file would trigger the rule and open mpc.hc.  I can not for the life of me figure out why it opens every file with mpc-hc.   another example would be 4.3.2.1 (2010) - BLURAY-1080P.DTS.5.1.H265.8Bit.[tt1514041][44877].mkv and I would figure this would be played by VideoPlayer, but it loads up with MPC-HC...
<playercorefactory>
    <players>
        <player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
            <filename>C:\Program Files\MPC-HC\mpc-hc64.exe</filename>
            <args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
            <hidekodi>true</hidekodi>
            <hideconsole>true</hideconsole>
            <forceontop>false</forceontop>
            <playcountminimumtime>2700</playcountminimumtime>
        </player>
    </players>
    <rules action="prepend">
        <rule filetypes="mkv" filename="*HDR*.*" player="MPC-HC"/>
    </rules>
</playercorefactory>
Use this:

<playercorefactory>
    <players>
        <player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
            <filename>C:\Program Files\MPC-HC\mpc-hc64.exe</filename>
            <playcountminimumtime>2700</playcountminimumtime>
        </player>
    </players>
    <rules action="prepend">
       <rule filename=".*HDR*" player="MPC-HC"/>
    </rules>
</playercorefactory>

Both of your files open with MPC-HC because both of them are .mkv's.
You told the script to open all .mkv file extensions with MPC-HC by adding
<rule filetypes="mkv"

The above code is directing the script to only open files that have "HDR" in the file name with MPC-HC.  All other files that do not contain "HDR" in the file name will open with the default VideoPlayer.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2020-11-02, 02:31)brazen1 Wrote: Both of your files open with MPC-HC because both of them are .mkv's.
You told the script to open all .mkv file extensions with MPC-HC by adding
<rule filetypes="mkv"
So this line:

<rule filetypes="mkv" filename="*HDR*.*" player="MPC-HC"/>

works as if an OR logical operator was present, not an AND operator. Correct?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
I put  

<rule filename=
<rule filetypes=

on two different lines.  I have no problems.

It does appear trying to combine the lines that not only does the file have to be an .mkv, it must also have "HDR" in the file name in order for the player task be passed to MPC-HC does not work.  Perhaps this is because there is no indent separating the two codes so the PCF.xml simply responds to what is indented and ignores what isn't which is exactly how your code indeed responds.  Is there a reason you don't use two lines of code?
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Thank you.  trying to combine them was the problem.  I just got rid of the mkv part altogether, and it all works as intended now!  Thank you so very much!
How do you make kodi pass on substituted paths to external players(MPV)?

I have path substitution turned on for my video files, and while it works for the inbuilt player,  MPV still gets the original paths.
I have VLC setup as an external player for my 4K HDR files where it would seamlessly switch between the two so you couldn't tell it was using an external player. Recently though after the movie finishes it stays in VLC. Here is my playercorefactor.xml

<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="VLC Player" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
      <filename>C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe</filename>
      <args>"{1}"</args>
      <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
      <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
      <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
      <playcountminimumtime>100000</playcountminimumtime>

</player>
  </players>
  <rules action="prepend">
    <rule filename=".*2160p.*" player="VLC Player"/>
  </rules>
 </playercorefactory>

Do I have something in my playercorefactory.xml setup wrong so that it doesn't exit back to KODI?
@willburstyle06 does Control Q on the keyboard exit VLC and return command to Kodi?
(2020-12-18, 18:13)PatK Wrote: @willburstyle06 does Control Q on the keyboard exit VLC and return command to Kodi?

I have the exit VLC key binding set to X. Before when the movie ended the VLC window would naturally switch back to Kodi, I'm not sure what changed. I think I have my playercorefactory.xml setup right
The VLC version I use 'Cntrl+Q' is the quit exit, I would set a remote binding key for that, after I ensured the key combination works. A debug log might show something. External players (wiki) Segment 2.2.1 VLC shows the definitive rule set for VLC, I would be inclined to use it.
(2020-12-19, 06:45)PatK Wrote: The VLC version I use 'Cntrl+Q' is the quit exit, I would set a remote binding key for that, after I ensured the key combination works. A debug log might show something. External players (wiki) Segment 2.2.1 VLC shows the definitive rule set for VLC, I would be inclined to use it.

The X key binding works perfectly for me and exits VLC back to Kodi like I want it to. It's just annoying that VLC doesn't automatically exit back to Kodi like it was before. I'm not sure what changed
(2020-12-20, 07:43)willburstyle06 Wrote: VLC doesn't automatically exit back to Kodi like it was before. I'm not sure what changed
If I use MPC-HC (or BE) as an external player, it works perfectly as expected with both Matrix and Leia.

Running VLC brings, it used to work fine, I have updated VLC and looking at the error below, file:/// pathing might be at issue with the VLC directive.

Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file:///C:/Kodi-Leia/Kodi/%2Ffullscreen'. Check the log for details.
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file:///C:/Kodi-Leia/Kodi/%2Fclose'. Check the log for details.
(2020-12-20, 20:14)PatK Wrote:
(2020-12-20, 07:43)willburstyle06 Wrote: VLC doesn't automatically exit back to Kodi like it was before. I'm not sure what changed
If I use MPC-HC (or BE) as an external player, it works perfectly as expected with both Matrix and Leia.

Running VLC brings, it used to work fine, I have updated VLC and looking at the error below, file:/// pathing might be at issue with the VLC directive.

VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file:///C:/Kodi-Leia/Kodi/%2Ffullscreen'. Check the log for details.
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file:///C:/Kodi-Leia/Kodi/%2Fclose'. Check the log for details.

I'll have to go check if my log shows the same thing
  • 105(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] External Player Support Thread11