Remove total duration from the skin
Hello,

I am looking for information on how to remove total duration from the skin..

Thank you.
You mean right hand bottom?
If yes, check includes.xml for CommonPageCount and delete that include
- - - Tribute to Metallica - - -
If I managed to help you, please click my reputation
I have noticed that you won't see any images until the page count total completes.  But removing that from the includes.xml file does remove the text, it seems like the count is still happening.  That's my impression as it still takes several seconds before the images of the movies show on the screen.  Until the count completes, you get the generic Kodi images.

If this is what is actually happening, is there a way to stop the "counting" that appears to be going on in the background?  Or did I not remove everything I needed in the includes file?

Thanks and happy holidays!
Just a short question about this topic:

Is there maybe a possibility to replace the total duration (right hand bottom) with the duration of the marked single film?
This would be way more informative - at least in my eyes.
It's funny how some of the same things in XBMP/XBMC/KODI seem to be the same challenge after many years.  When I had a slow Wi-Fi connected android box, I had found a way to remove JUST the "Total Duration" count from Confluence.

I had copied that "userdata" configuration from one device to another, to another....  But now, after doing that for years, I found that I needed to do a complete clean full reload... losing the solution that I had found long ago.

So, my intent was to come here and start a thread...  and it looks like others have already restated a thread that was originally asked in 2012.  (Thanks for that @muzicman61 !)

New decade.  Same question.

With a very large movie library, on remote NAS, running win10 in my media player, with Linksys Velop wifi (450mbs speedtest)...  my media player box should be plenty fast, but that rolling count on the bottom right side just slows everything down.  If you make a change to some of the data of a film (ex:  info / artwork / change poster), on exiting that specific movie, the count starts all over again.

And honestly...  does the total hours (or days) of films being displayed really matter at all?  Sure, I can understand knowing that I have #,### of films, but displaying that it will a ##,###:##:## number of hours to play, as if I was going to play them all from beginning to end...  I mean, who does that really?

So...  I took that suggestion from @mad-max and searched for include.xml, made a quick copy, and then edited the original to remove the section that addresses CommonPageCount 

In doing so, removing all of the CommonPageCount content, and restarting Kodi that "Total Duration" info is no longer displayed.   However, neither it the total count of all films or the specific page out of total pages.  

In other words, kind of an overkill.  A hammer instead of a scalpel.  

First, I will admit, I am no coder.  I will stumble around the include.xml file and try to see how to remove JUST the Total Duration calculation.  However if anyone reads this and can suggest just what should not be included, it would be appreciated.

Second, I think I agree with @muzicman61: "...is there a way to stop the "counting" that appears to be going on in the background?"  ...  While turning off the display of the data by modifying include.xml is nice...  STOPPING the actual counting would be better.  

So having said all that, is the counting of the time / Total Duration a function of the skin initiating that action, or is it part of the core KODI code that recalculates after every change to a file within that particular database?  I have no idea (see: not a coder), but would be great to know.

Thanks, and I look forward to a response.
(2021-01-07, 17:47)zebraitis Wrote: So...  I took that suggestion from @mad-max and searched for include.xml, made a quick copy, and then edited the original to remove the section that addresses CommonPageCount 

In doing so, removing all of the CommonPageCount content, and restarting Kodi that "Total Duration" info is no longer displayed.   However, neither it the total count of all films or the specific page out of total pages.  

In other words, kind of an overkill.  A hammer instead of a scalpel.  

If all you want to do is remove the Total duration but leave the Item and Page counts then it's this line in Includes,xml https://github.com/xbmc/skin.confluence/....xml#L1056 so delete that line to get what you want.

(2021-01-07, 17:47)zebraitis Wrote: Second, I think I agree with @muzicman61: "...is there a way to stop the "counting" that appears to be going on in the background?"  ...  While turning off the display of the data by modifying include.xml is nice...  STOPPING the actual counting would be better.  

So having said all that, is the counting of the time / Total Duration a function of the skin initiating that action, or is it part of the core KODI code that recalculates after every change to a file within that particular database?  I have no idea (see: not a coder), but would be great to know.

When you enter a View in Kodi then the core Kodi code loads all details for all items that can be access from within that view into memory, so any slowness is not caused by the counting you see in the skin, what you see in the skin is simply reflecting the speed at which the core Kodi code is loading the items into memory. So if you go into the unfiltered Movie Title view for example and you have 1,000 movies, then Kodi will load the details for all 1,000 items into memory. Kodi dates from before a time before modern techniques such as lazy loading came into being, where an example of lazy loading would be only loading the first page of for example 15 items the skin displays into memory, then when the skin moves onto the next page the next 15 items are then loaded. Improving this has long been on the wish list, but it's not an easy task to change this as the current way is so deeply embedded in the code.

So removing the item and page counting will do absolutely nothing to speed anything up.
@jjd-uk   Nice.  I can follow that instruction and remove just that line.  Glad I made a backup of the file before I modified it.  Much thanks.   Nod

One thing though...  You said:  "So removing the item and page counting will do absolutely nothing to speed anything up."

In a 6,000 film library, making a change to a file down in "J" or later, the total duration count seemed to really cause a huge delay, when all you really want to see was if the fanart or naming change happened as you expected.

Logically, I get that just removing the count should not have an effect, but yet, surprisingly it does.  Maybe because since the count does not actually need to be displayed, it goes onto the next task faster.  When I implemented it a few years ago on a no-longer-supported android box, it made the difference between useful and useless.

Those Pivos Xios folks used to be real cool in what and how they did things.  Technology marches on.   (... pours out some of his 40, in memory).

Thank you for the reply and attention.
The type of device may be a heavy influence as fetching the info and refreshing the GUI for the count will obviously carry some overhead, so if using a RPI or low power Android box then I guess it could make more of a difference than a powerful Intel system.
(2021-01-07, 21:34)jjd-uk Wrote: The type of device may be a heavy influence as fetching the info and refreshing the GUI for the count will obviously carry some overhead, so if using a RPI or low power Android box then I guess it could make more of a difference than a powerful Intel system.
Again, thanks.

This morning, I removed the one suggested line from Includes.xml and all is as I had hoped to be, by looks. 

And yes, by performance it is still slow-ish.  Even though I do have very fast wireless, running a change through that DB, especially with a MySQL based DB residing on the NAS, it still has a significant delay.

You are right:  The real solution for large content libraries is "lazy loading" of the database, but as I said in my first comment:  It's funny how some of the same things in XBMP/XBMC/KODI seem to be the same challenge after many years.   Another is profiles, of course.  But I won't beat that horse here.

I wish you success in getting this addressed in a future version.  maybe 20?  ... looking forward to Kodi XX   Big Grin
(2021-01-08, 16:21)zebraitis Wrote: I wish you success in getting this addressed in a future version.  maybe 20?  ... looking forward to Kodi XX   Big Grin

Maybe by Kodi 200..ha..ha Big Grin
(2020-12-31, 10:59)contadino Wrote: Is there maybe a possibility to replace the total duration (right hand bottom) with the duration of the marked single film?

So there is no possibility to make a useful source of information out of this more or less useless indication?
(2021-01-14, 10:07)contadino Wrote:
(2020-12-31, 10:59)contadino Wrote: Is there maybe a possibility to replace the total duration (right hand bottom) with the duration of the marked single film?

So there is no possibility to make a useful source of information out of this more or less useless indication?

Why do you need this when the Media Info views are available that include duration of the selected item? and it is far from useless, with more people binge watching then it tells you at a glance how long watching a complete season of a tv series will take for example.

However it's a simple change if it's what you want, so for the line I identified previously https://github.com/xbmc/skin.confluence/....xml#L1056

xml:
<label>$INFO[Container.TotalTime,$LOCALIZE[31009] (,)]</label>

should be changed to

xml:
<label>$INFO[ListItem.Duration,$LOCALIZE[180] (,)]</label>
Thanks for your help jjd-uk!
I will try to change this line. But i'm not sure, i will manage that - no linux-pro here... Angel
And yes, you are right, there are the different Media-Info-Views too. I want to keep the view simple and show on the right side the film-cover only. But yes, there are other possibilities too. I will have a look at this!
(2021-01-20, 11:17)contadino Wrote: Thanks for your help jjd-uk!
I will try to change this line. But i'm not sure, i will manage that - no linux-pro here... Angel

No need to be any sort of pro, the hardest bit will be finding the Includes.xml file which will be in the skin.confluence/720p/ folder on your system, if it's Linux then that will be under the .kodi/addons folder, then simply use whatever text editor you are comfortable with to edit the file.
Oh, thanks a lot!
I thought i have to change the line in the github-file and then compile the whole thing... Smile
The includes.xml i will find for sure.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remove total duration from the skin0