• 26(current)
Kodi + Shield + Dolby Vision
Good Job @fandango. I am in contact with @hoppel118 and we have the same very good result now, we speak in german. 

We tested intensively yesterday, it's run very good now. No crashes now, i must no restart kodi and shield! Sometimes did not start the file, i must start 2-3 again.
It's runnig better as with external EXoPlayer now. I can forward or rewind in the movie its no problem with Kodi Player.

Thank you for very good job !  

My Settings
• Resolution = "3840x2160P"
• Refresh rate = "59.94",
• Delay after change of refresh rate = "0.2 seconds"
• Number of buffers used by graphics driver: 3 (or 2 same result)
• Whitelist all active( without 120 Frames)
• Audio passthrough
If my TV natively supports 120Hz and it's a 4k TV, what should I whitelist?
(2021-01-13, 12:42)gil80 Wrote: If my TV natively supports 120Hz and it's a 4k TV, what should I whitelist?

I have yet to test this on Kodi 19 but you should not have to whitelist anything.

If you whitelist 1080p your tv will do upscale since Kodi will output in 1080p. For 1080p content.

Kodi will use the highest resolution you have, change to 23.976 for movies in that resolution.
And AI upscaling will be enabled for any sources.

Just leave it be.
(2021-01-13, 12:51)fandangos Wrote:
(2021-01-13, 12:42)gil80 Wrote: If my TV natively supports 120Hz and it's a 4k TV, what should I whitelist?

I have yet to test this on Kodi 19 but you should not have to whitelist anything.

If you whitelist 1080p your tv will do upscale since Kodi will output in 1080p. For 1080p content.

Kodi will use the highest resolution you have, change to 23.976 for movies in that resolution.

Just leave it be.
Ok, so I won't whitelist anything, just like in my 18.9 kodi. Seems to work fine without touching it.
But isn't the Shield doing upscaling as well?

One test I would like to try is to stream DV content like Soul from Syncler and play it in your Kodi build and see how it works.

Last question, is there a way to export all my settings, add-ons and everything I did in 18.9 to the build you created?
(2021-01-13, 12:59)gil80 Wrote:
(2021-01-13, 12:51)fandangos Wrote:

Just leave it be.
Ok, so I won't whitelist anything, just like in my 18.9 kodi. Seems to work fine without touching it.

One test I would like to try is to stream DV content like Soul from Syncler and play it in your Kodi build and see how it works.

Last question, is there a way to export all my settings, add-ons and everything I did in 18.9 to the build you created?

Shield will upscale if you set it to do it. 
You can see the settings pressing the menu button and looking at AI upscaling. 

In Kodi libraries are not interchargeable between versions. 
But when you set everything up, just use Kodi Backup addon, back it up and restore. 

Just beware and pay attention to what version of the addon you're using. I wasn't able to restore a backup a had because of versions missmatch. 
I believe for Matrix it's version 1.64. So use that and when restoring use this same version.
(2021-01-13, 13:36)fandangos Wrote:
(2021-01-13, 12:59)gil80 Wrote:
(2021-01-13, 12:51)fandangos Wrote: I have yet to test this on Kodi 19 but you should not have to whitelist anything.

Just leave it be.

But when you set everything up, just use Kodi Backup addon, back it up and restore. 

Just beware and pay attention to what version of the addon you're using. I wasn't able to restore a backup a had because of versions missmatch. 
I believe for Matrix it's version 1.64. So use that and when restoring use this same version.

Ok, I’ve done some DV testing.
MP4 files are playing well.
.ts DV files are broken. Getting spinning wheel of death. The .ts files were downloaded from LG’s website to demo DV on my OLED.
I don’t have .MKV DV files yet.

Also, this is not Kodi related but rather a bug in Shield, it doesn’t auto switch between Rec709 to Rec2020 if I play DV or HDR or SDR.
I had to set under Custom Display Mode to have the default value of Rec709 DV and HDR10 Ready for it to auto switch. If it is set to Rec2020 DV and HDR10 Ready, it won’t auto switch - just FYI for those who are interested.
(2021-01-13, 15:10)gil80 Wrote:
(2021-01-13, 13:36)fandangos Wrote:
(2021-01-13, 12:59)gil80 Wrote: Ok, so I won't whitelist anything, just like in my 18.9 kodi. Seems to work fine without touching it.

.ts DV files are broken. Getting spinning wheel of death. The .ts files were downloaded from LG’s website to demo DV on my OLED.

Also, this is not Kodi related but rather a bug in Shield, it doesn’t auto switch between Rec709 to Rec2020 if I play DV or HDR or SDR.
I had to set under Custom Display Mode to have the default value of Rec709 DV and HDR10 Ready for it to auto switch. If it is set to Rec2020 DV and HDR10 Ready, it won’t auto switch - just FYI for those who are interested.

Is your shield running the latest firmware?

It got automatic color space switching a few firmwares back.
You can enable and disable it.

.ts should not work since it uses dual layer dolby vision and this is not supported.
(2021-01-13, 15:47)fandangos Wrote:
(2021-01-13, 15:10)gil80 Wrote:
(2021-01-13, 13:36)fandangos Wrote: Shield will upscale if you set it to do it. 

.ts should not work since it uses dual layer dolby vision and this is not supported.

Yes, running the latest. The auto colour switching doesn't work, according to the TV HDMI service info menu when the Shield is set to Rec2020 DV and HDR10 Ready, regardless if auto-switching is enabled. It will only auto-switch between the profiles if Rec709 DV and HDR10 Ready is selected.
This is off-topic, of course, but interesting find. If you have an LG TV, I can explain how to test that.

p.s. - kodi 18.9 is using a lower version for the backup addon than kodi 19.0. I cannot restore due to some error which I have no idea about.
(2021-01-13, 17:07)gil80 Wrote:
(2021-01-13, 15:10)gil80 Wrote: Ok, I’ve done some DV testing.

Yes, running the latest. The auto colour switching doesn't work, according to the TV HDMI service info menu when the Shield is set to Rec2020 DV and HDR10 Ready, regardless if auto-switching is enabled. It will only auto-switch between the profiles if Rec709 DV and HDR10 Ready is selected.
This is off-topic, of course, but interesting find. If you have an LG TV, I can explain how to test that.

p.s. - kodi 18.9 is using a lower version for the backup addon than kodi 19.0. I cannot restore due to some error which I have no idea about.

I'll test this here.
You are talking about the hidden menu that you can see by pressing 111111 on the remote, right?

The colors would be completely wrong if the color space was wrong.
It would be a bizarre scenario if Kodi would be trying to squeeze bt.2020 into 709 and sending dolby vision dynamic metadata.

And as I told you.
The library you have on Leia will not work with Matrix.
The error you are getting is because you installed the backup addon from Kodi repo and that's ancient, version 1.1.3.
The version from the backup addon github for Leia is 1.54.1.

You are getting an error because the validation file has no directories listing since 1.1.3 won't create it in the valfile.

And again importing from Leia to Matrix, will not work.
(2021-01-13, 15:10)gil80 Wrote: Ok, I’ve done some DV testing.

If you are talking abour the '111111' hidden menue, the menue is buggy and does not always display the correct color space information, especially for DV. The shield is tunneling DV in an 8Bit RGB tunnel and this is confusing for the menue and can cause bugs to display wrong information.
(2021-01-13, 19:46)Fehritale Wrote:
(2021-01-13, 15:47)fandangos Wrote: Is your shield running the latest firmware?

If you are talking abour the '111111' hidden menue, the menue is buggy and does not always display the correct color space information, especially for DV. The shield is tunneling DV in an 8Bit RGB tunnel and this is confusing for the menue and can cause bugs to display wrong information.

The Shield shows DV as YCbCr 4:2:2 when you activate Dolby Vision and I believe it might need 10bit/12bit the same as HDR (10bits).

I can check with my receiver and the LG menu later today.
(2021-01-12, 19:13)fandangos Wrote:
(2021-01-12, 19:11)blackreign66 Wrote:
(2021-01-12, 18:06)fandangos Wrote: And fixed

If the source is too slow we need to wait a little longer to render the frame (but we can't wait too much or else DV will give wrong colors).
And increased the input buffer timeout again to 10000 ms for slow sources.

Tested a few movies from google drive, which should be the worst case scenario possible. It worked. 
If anyone is doing this, remember to increase the buffer with advancedsettings.xml.

Build here:
https://mega.nz/file/LY82lAYR#8LvPmkCs_Y...ZqA3PR4OfE

Hope we can put DV to rest now.
Yes and hopefully someone can compile a 18.9 version.

There are requests for a 32bits version and a 18.9.

maybe @sk83 could do the 18.9 with the latest changes.

Been away for a while, much to do at work. Here's an 18.9 build with a default input buffer timeout value of 10000 and with WaitForFrame value increased to 250.
Anyway, I haven't had any trouble the last weeks with any of the builds we tested. Two things to consider:
- I've not watched any profile 7 content, only profile 8
- I've set minimum SMB version to 3. This seems to have improved network speeds an responsiveness a bit.

18.9 build
I tested it just now with Game of Thrones (DV Profile 7 in mkv container).

Denon AVR reports it as 8Bit RGB Dolby Vision also does the LG OLED C9 (Funny side note: the hidden menue does not show DV, it shows 'HDR mode: SDR', but the DV badge is shown when you start the video and a DV picture mode is used). I remember someone from NVidia team wrote in the shield forum that this correct, because the Shield is tunneling the presumably YCrCb 4:2:2 in an 8Bit RGB tunnel. I have no how this is technically possible, but he/she was arguing that this is the correct way and that they worked with Dolby together in that regard.
(2021-01-13, 21:37)sk83 Wrote:
(2021-01-12, 19:13)fandangos Wrote:
(2021-01-12, 19:11)blackreign66 Wrote: Yes and hopefully someone can compile a 18.9 version.

There are requests for a 32bits version and a 18.9.

maybe @sk83 could do the 18.9 with the latest changes.

Been away for a while, much to do at work. Here's an 18.9 build with a default input buffer timeout value of 10000 and with WaitForFrame value increased to 250.
Anyway, I haven't had any trouble the last weeks with any of the builds we tested. Two things to consider:
- I've not watched any profile 7 content, only profile 8
- I've set minimum SMB version to 3. This seems to have improved network speeds an responsiveness a bit.

18.9 build

Have you added this commit?
https://github.com/fandangos/Kodi-HDR-Ed...00a29R1382

Line 1382 is the function stoping playback before it hangs/crashes.
(2021-01-13, 21:42)Fehritale Wrote: I tested it just now with Game of Thrones (DV Profile 7 in mkv container).

Denon AVR reports it as 8Bit RGB Dolby Vision also does the LG OLED C9 (Funny side note: the hidden menue does not show DV, it shows 'HDR mode: SDR', but the DV badge is shown when you start the video and a DV picture mode is used). I remember someone from NVidia team wrote in the shield forum that this correct, because the Shield is tunneling the presumably YCrCb 4:2:2 in an 8Bit RGB tunnel. I have no how this is technically possible, but he/she was arguing that this is the correct way and that they worked with Dolby together in that regard.

That's very interesting. 

I have the OPPO 203, I'll test with a complete UHD Bluray and check how DV is passed to the receiver to compare. 
Thanks for this info.
  • 26(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi + Shield + Dolby Vision0