• 548(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
I am no noob to linux but I found the options for this script not too clearly defined and I think I botched it.

I have a Asus M004U2GB and I wanted a stand alone Libreelec install. I have no need for the original OS.

I ran option 1 the Install ChromeOS + Kodi twice install seemed to complete.

Set Boot option  4 to 1 second delay default boot to Kodi

Installed SeaBIOS with Option 5

All I get is "Booting from Hard disk"  with a flashing cursor. How do I get it to boot?

I think after all is working and tested then I can remove the useless  Chrome OS with Option 6?
(2021-02-10, 10:25)tekno Wrote: I am no noob to linux but I found the options for this script not too clearly defined and I think I botched it.

I have a Asus M004U2GB and I wanted a stand alone Libreelec install. I have no need for the original OS.

All I get is "Booting from Hard disk"  with a flashing cursor. How do I get it to boot?

I think after all is working and tested then I can remove the useless  Chrome OS with Option 6?

Nooooo! You should boot ChromeOS (CTRL+D), use option 7 to create the install media, then option 6 to flash the coreboot/UEFI firmware. Reboot, boot from USB, install LibreELEC.
(2021-02-10, 16:32)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2021-02-10, 10:25)tekno Wrote: I am no noob to linux but I found the options for this script not too clearly defined and I think I botched it.

Nooooo! You should boot ChromeOS (CTRL+D), use option 7 to create the install media, then option 6 to flash the coreboot/UEFI firmware. Reboot, boot from USB, install LibreELEC.
(2021-02-10, 16:32)Matt Devo Wrote:

HUH? Then why do the other options even exist? 

I did have success installing to an external USB disk that is now booting however I did try the method you suggest and get a bad kernel option error when booting to Libreelec installer.
Maybe what is needed is a clear and concise explanation of the options and how they apply to different ChromeBoxes in the form of a manual/.

I do not see anything like a user manual even at MrChromebox.tech 

WHen I ask here the partial response I receive only seems to confuse me even further.

Also there many pages with differing (old?) versions of how to use this. If it were properly documented and updated in one place, it would be helpful.

My question now is how to get my chromebox back to some normal config. 

I would ultimately like to get Kodio in a stand-alone configuration on the SSD and nothing has worked. when installing to SSD. It does however work installing to 1TB external disk from installer .

Running the Libreelec installer created from the menu has also not worked just giving a kernel argument error

Also looking at what I have working now it seems quite convoluted, although it does work. As I understand it If Libreelec is installed to an external disk I should have a bootable Legacy partition on that drive that would boot any x86 , but it does not . In fact it caused Boot to hang on BIOS screen even after repairing the disk from gparted.

I have found no installation of Libreelec on the external disk, in fact what I see is:
(System partition contents)
lost+found (folder)
extlinux.conf
KERNEL
ldlinux.c32
ldlinux.sys
SYSTEM

I suspect Libreelec is actually running off the internal SSD

Not sure how I proceed to get back to square 1, or correct it..
(2021-02-13, 19:40)tekno Wrote: Maybe what is needed is a clear and concise explanation of the options and how they apply to different ChromeBoxes in the form of a manual/.

WHen I ask here the partial response I receive only seems to confuse me even further.

Also there many pages with differing (old?) versions of how to use this. If it were properly documented and updated in one place, it would be helpful.

I would ultimately like to get Kodio in a stand-alone configuration on the SSD and nothing has worked. when installing to SSD. It does however work installing to 1TB external disk from installer .

Running the Libreelec installer created from the menu has also not worked just giving a kernel argument error
please explain how the documentation in the first post and my website are unclear and I'll do my best to improve it.

A standalone setup is dead simple: install the custom coreboot/UEFI firmware, reboot, and install LE from your install media.
(2021-02-13, 19:54)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2021-02-13, 19:40)tekno Wrote: Maybe what is needed is a clear and concise explanation of the options and how they apply to different ChromeBoxes in the form of a manual/.

please explain how the documentation in the first post and my website are unclear and I'll do my best to improve it.

A standalone setup is dead simple: install the custom coreboot/UEFI firmware, reboot, and install LE from your install media.
You refer to your "Quick Start Overview"?

Comments inline

Quick Start / Overview
---------------------------------------

For a dual-boot setup, you will need to perform the following steps: What about a standalone boot?
Open the ChromeBox and remove the write-protect screw

Put the ChromeBox in developer mode

Perform a factory reset using Google's recovery tools

Download/run the Kodi E-Z Setup Script, choose desired dual boot configuration, select partition size  (more explanation of these recovery tools would be helpful). What tools and how to install or access

(reboot and allow ChromeOS to "repair" itself after partition resizing)

Download/run the Kodi E-Z Setup Script again, choosing the same dual boot configuration option, install LibreELEC or GalliumOS

Reboot and verify dual boot functionality by manual selecting legacy boot option ([CTRL-L) [font]This did not work only got a kernel parameter argument error [/font]

Reboot to ChromeOS, use Kodi E-Z Setup Script to select desired default OS, boot delay (optional)

For a standalone setup, you will need to perform the following steps:

Download/run the Kodi E-Z Setup Script

Select the Standalone / coreboot Install option, which will backup your stock firmware/BIOS and flash a custom one

Create install media for desired OS. Script includes option to create install media for LibreELEC

Power off ChromeBox

Connect/plug-in USB install media (if not using LibreELEC media you just created)

Power on ChromeBox, Press [ESC] from boot menu, select USB device (no longer needed with UEFI firmware; USB devices will boot automatically)

Install LibreELEC, GalliumOS, or your OS of choice

To run LibreELEC off a USB/SD device, you will need to perform the following steps:

Download/run the Kodi E-Z Setup Script, select option to Install LibreELEC on USB 
This would be an excellent place for a direct link to the CURRENT script

Reboot and verify legacy boot functionality by manual selecting legacy boot option ([CTRL+L) Here is what I believe is a BUG! When installing to USB media This script should check to see if there is an installation on internal media. If so that should be cleaned up before installing to USB

Hit ESC, select USB device from which to boot. My odd but working installation, I tell it to boot to USB but it appears I have no Libreelec install on my USB disk. Apparently it is finding my first install attempt on the internal drive now 

Reboot to ChromeOS, use Kodi E-Z Setup Script to select desired default OS, boot delay (optional) 

Again what  to do when something goes wrong?

I see no options to uninstall or revert 
Additional info:

The documentation in the standalone section says the following:
"There are 3 firmware configuration options available to the user prior to flashing:"

However the output of that section of the installer looked like this
Code:
 ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script [2020-12-22] 
 (c) Mr Chromebox <[email protected]
**   Device: ASUS Chromebox CN60 (PANTHER)
** CPU Type: Intel Haswell
**  Fw Type: Stock ChromeOS w/RW_LEGACY
**    Fw WP: Disabled
**     Dual Boot 
**  1) Install: ChromeOS + GalliumOS/Ubuntu 
**  2) Install: ChromeOS + LibreELEC 
**  3) Install: LibreELEC on USB 
**  4) Set Boot Options 
**  5) Update Legacy BIOS (SeaBIOS)
**     Standalone 
**  6) Install/Update: Custom UEFI Firmware 
**  7) Create LibreELEC Install Media 
R to reboot  P to poweroff  Q to quit 

Install/Update UEFI Full ROM Firmware

Standard disclaimer: flashing the firmware has the potential to
brick your device, requiring relatively inexpensive hardware and some
technical knowledge to recover.  You have been warned.

Also, flashing Full ROM firmware will remove your ability to run ChromeOS.

Do you wish to continue? [y/N] y

NOTE: After flashing UEFI firmware, you will need to install a UEFI-compatible
OS; ChromeOS will no longer be bootable. See https://mrchromebox.tech/#faq

Press Y to continue or any other key to abort. y

Create a backup copy of your stock firmware?

This is highly recommended in case you wish to return your device to stock
configuration/run ChromeOS, or in the (unlikely) event that things go south
and you need to recover using an external EEPROM programmer. [Y/n] y

Connect the USB/SD device to store the firmware backup and press [Enter]
to continue.  This is non-destructive, but it is best to ensure no other
USB/SD devices are connected. 

Devices available:

1) Generic Power_Saving_USB (7.4 GB)

Enter the number for the device to be used for firmware backup: 1

Saving firmware backup as stock-firmware-PANTHER-20210213.rom

Firmware backup complete. Remove the USB stick and press [Enter] to continue.

Downloading Full ROM firmware
(coreboot_tiano-panther-mrchromebox_20200618.rom)

Disabling software write-protect and clearing the WP range

Installing Full ROM firmware (may take up to 90s)

Full ROM firmware successfully installed/updated.

IMPORTANT:
The first boot after flashing may take substantially
longer than subsequent boots -- up to 30s or more.
Be patient and eventually your device will boot :)

Press [Enter] to return to the main menu.
(2021-02-14, 02:37)tekno Wrote: Additional info:

The documentation in the standalone section says the following:
"There are 3 firmware configuration options available to the user prior to flashing:"

However the output of that section of the installer looked like this
Code:
<snip>

you're quoting documentation for the standalone function, yet show me a picture of the main menu. Pretty easy to intuit that those options are only presented after selecting the standalone firmware option.

I don't care to make the time to address your previous post point-by-point. I have no desire to hand-hold users who aren't motivated to research and understand what's going on. This isn't r/TechSpoonFeeding
I want to thank you Matt for this tutorial. After using my Dell Chromebox as a "HTPC" using Plex since I bought it in 2015, I finally took the plunge (I'm retired and apparently bored as well), got rid of ChromeOS (and Google's habit of dropping support) and installed GalliumOS.

I had a couple of "nail biting" moments as I had to modify the script and I answered "yes" instead of "no" in asking me to do a backup for the Chrome firmware (I have no intention of going back to Chrome-EVER), but I got it all working properly after a few choice adjectives. Heck I even have samba working and Kodi 19 works a treat. Of course I've been running ubuntu since Hardy, so I am not entirely dry.

Thank you again.
Hi,

I'm looking at resetting my asus chromebox (CN60) back to chromeos and probably duel booting it into galliumos as not used LibreElec on it since I got my nvidia shield. I still have my original chromeos backup to restore as I originally replaced tbe chromeos setup, but when checking the wiki I'm unable to find any instructions on how to restore the unit as the page is no longer available.

If I boot up the asus with a usb keyboard attached, will rerunning the setup from the OP automatically reinstall ChromeOS and GalliumOS or must I fully restore to ChromeOS first?

thanks
(2021-03-27, 16:12)walkerx Wrote: Hi,

I'm looking at resetting my asus chromebox (CN60) back to chromeos and probably duel booting it into galliumos as not used LibreElec on it since I got my nvidia shield. I still have my original chromeos backup to restore as I originally replaced tbe chromeos setup, but when checking the wiki I'm unable to find any instructions on how to restore the unit as the page is no longer available.

If I boot up the asus with a usb keyboard attached, will rerunning the setup from the OP automatically reinstall ChromeOS and GalliumOS or must I fully restore to ChromeOS first?

thanks
given the CN60 is end of life (no more updates), no point in reverting to ChromeOS. If you want something similar, just boot/install CloudReady.
(2021-03-27, 16:50)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2021-03-27, 16:12)walkerx Wrote: Hi,

thanks
given the CN60 is end of life (no more updates), no point in reverting to ChromeOS. If you want something similar, just boot/install CloudReady.

Thanks, my other choice was looking at installing GalliumOS
Hi all! 
Haven't been here in a while, because my CN60s have both been running great. 
But I couldn't pass up this Chromebox 3 for $99 from Walmart.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/600948648 

So, besides upgrading the RAM and maybe the SSD (is it NVME or mSATA?), is there any specific guidance on installing LibreElec to this model? 
Thanks Matt and everyone else!
(2021-04-21, 14:41)Timewalker Wrote: Hi all! 
Haven't been here in a while, because my CN60s have both been running great. 
But I couldn't pass up this Chromebox 3 for $99 from Walmart.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/600948648 

So, besides upgrading the RAM and maybe the SSD (is it NVME or mSATA?), is there any specific guidance on installing LibreElec to this model? 
Thanks Matt and everyone else!

no need to upgrade either the RAM or SATA SSD just for LibreELEC. No special guidance.
  • 548(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37