v19 shared library (mariadb) problem after migrating to matrix
Hi All!
I'm having problems with external library trying out v19 on NV shield 2017. During first launch I see the attempt to migrate the library but in kodi I see only my sources, library is not being displayed.
Other symptoms:
-setting content type on my sources is not saved
-update library does nothing
-if I attempt to play any file (mkv,m4v,avi,...) kodi crashes

Debug log: https://paste.kodi.tv/osujamagom.kodi
I see multiple errors with DB but no idea how to mitigate the issue

Did reinstall kodi, dropped the erroneous  MyVideo119 from database and retried multiple times, tested on Win10... I cant get the shared library working.

Please advise, Thanks!
Same here. SAMBA source selection renders empty on Linux & Android.

I had to reset all sources (using mysql) with zeroconfig.

Lots of standard plugins also broken on Android.

As always, every major Kodi release upsets the previously heavily time invested one for the user. 

I shall survive
Shared libraries no longer work for me, version 19 updated from Leia where it had been working great.

I had to rebuild the libraries, it crashed midway thru.  Kodi froze.Tried to kill it, didn't work. Rebooted. Kodi froze on boot screen.

Log said it couldn't open music database. It existed. Repaired it. Tried Kodi 19 again. Froze on splash screen.

Deleted databases and started again. Repeat above.

Now back to standard local library.

I think the devs are evil Wink
(2021-02-23, 00:40)er2or Wrote: I see multiple errors with DB but no idea how to mitigate the issue
What are the mysql user "kodi" 's permissions on the database server?

(2021-02-23, 06:44)waddacrock Wrote: Log said it couldn't open music database.
No log file provided = no problems.

(2021-02-23, 06:44)waddacrock Wrote: I think the devs are evil Wink
Yep.
(2021-02-23, 07:08)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-02-23, 00:40)er2or Wrote: I see multiple errors with DB but no idea how to mitigate the issue
What are the mysql user "kodi" 's permissions on the database server?
hostname %
global privileges ALL PRIVILEGES except GRANT
I was able to get external library working by removing <name>kodi_video</name> from advancedsettings.xml - <videodatabase> which resulted in to building new DB instead of migrating from previous version.
The obvious downside is you are starting from scratch unless you have exported your library beforehand.
As I have done with every major release of XBMC/ KODI, on Linux, apt purge kodi, apt install kodi, reconfigure or restore what I can.

On linux, everything is now working using share library on mysql. On Android not so much.

I do love new Stable Releases.
(2021-02-24, 08:01)waddacrock Wrote: I do love new Stable Releases.
Well you could have helped identify issues in advance by testing any of the nightly builds or previous pre-releases. We do the best we can with limited resources while still trying to move forwards. My family have been using v19 for months without issues, as far as I know it is very stable.
(2021-02-24, 10:11)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2021-02-24, 08:01)waddacrock Wrote: I do love new Stable Releases.
Well you could have helped identify issues in advance by testing any of the nightly builds or previous pre-releases. We do the best we can with limited resources while still trying to move forwards. My family have been using v19 for months without issues, as far as I know it is very stable.

Agreed. A user doesn't have to be a programmer to contribute. Helping test and reporting problems is an important task and as @DaveBlake mentions, the devs (who are all volunteers afaik) have limited resources to work with. The Kodi community always looks forward to new updates & features, it's not too much to ask that we help carry the load in what ever way we can.
I'm not sure I'm helping here but I can't help but notice the majority of problems people are having are with SMB, not NFS. I had a painless upgrade 18.9 > 19.? using NFS. Admittedly the first time it froze but that was because I was having wifi issues with my router. Reboot the computer and replace my AP and all was well. Took a good long time to migrate the db but it did work out.

That being said is the problem with SMB rather than the Mysql / Mariadb?
I found the same problem with my attempt to upgrade this morning. I focused on the following line I found my log and yours.

2021-02-22 22:27:58.385 T:30515 ERROR <general>: SQL: Can't determine list of routines to drop.

Checked the Kodi github and found the query that Kodi was trying to execute.

select routine_name from information_schema.routines where routine_type='FUNCTION' and routine_schema = '%s';

I ran that manually and MariaDB gave me the following error.

MariaDB [MyVideos116]> select routine_name from information_schema.routines where routine_type='FUNCTION';
ERROR 1558 (HY000): Column count of mysql.proc is wrong. Expected 21, found 20. Created with MariaDB 50563, now running 100317. Please use mysql_upgrade to fix this error

It looks like when I upgrade to MariaDB 10, it did not convert the databases automatically and hadn't complained until this query. I ran the mysql_upgrade on the command line and then re-ran the query which worked albeit returning no rows. Following that, I dropped the MyMusic82 and MyMusic119 databases and ran Kodi 19 again. This time the database migrated without a problem and the system is working perfectly.

I would suggest logging into whatever box is running your MySQL/MariaDB and executing the mysql_upgrade command to ensure all DBs are at the correct version for the MySQL/MariaDB engine.

Is it possible to get Kodi to log the error fault returned by MariaDB instead of the generic message? If I would have seen this message in the logs initially, it would have made the diagnostics much simpler.
(2021-03-07, 10:23)brucetheloon Wrote: Is it possible to get Kodi to log the error fault returned by MariaDB instead of the generic message? If I would have seen this message in the logs initially, it would have made the diagnostics much simpler.

I cannot tell if you had debugging enabled in Kodi, as you only provided a couple of standalone lines. But you can also enable the Database component in the debugging section for a more verbose log file.
(2021-03-07, 10:40)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-03-07, 10:23)brucetheloon Wrote: Is it possible to get Kodi to log the error fault returned by MariaDB instead of the generic message? If I would have seen this message in the logs initially, it would have made the diagnostics much simpler.

I cannot tell if you had debugging enabled in Kodi, as you only provided a couple of standalone lines. But you can also enable the Database component in the debugging section for a more verbose log file.

Thanks for the info. No, didn't have the debugging enabled. I'll remember that for future upgrades, but knowing my luck, they'll go perfectly.
(2021-02-23, 00:40)er2or Wrote: Hi All!
I'm having problems with external library trying out v19 on NV shield 2017. During first launch I see the attempt to migrate the library but in kodi I see only my sources, library is not being displayed.
Other symptoms:
-setting content type on my sources is not saved
-update library does nothing
-if I attempt to play any file (mkv,m4v,avi,...) kodi crashes

I had similar issues. Been using a shared database for several years, and have upgraded to new versions many times without issue. Until now...

Seeing the same things as described above - Library not being displayed, "update library" does nothing and Kodi crashed everytime I tried to play any file. This was with Matrix (19), although it worked fine last weekend. I ended up downgrading to 18.9 and could play files again, but the library would come up blank after uploading my advancedsettings.xml. Sources were there, but no Library/Metadata.

I have very little experience with MYSQL databases, but Googled my way through getting PHPMyAdmin installed and then dropping my video database. Then I saw that a new one would get created, but it appeared to be empty. Eventually I tried "Set Content" from my Movie source and that triggeed a scan and scraping. Which apparently (finally) populated the empty database. I *think* that was the fix anyway. No idea what caused the issue. Contemplating if i should try to upgrade back to Matrix again...?
(2021-03-07, 10:23)brucetheloon Wrote: I found the same problem with my attempt to upgrade this morning. I focused on the following line I found my log and yours.

2021-02-22 22:27:58.385 T:30515 ERROR <general>: SQL: Can't determine list of routines to drop.

Checked the Kodi github and found the query that Kodi was trying to execute.

select routine_name from information_schema.routines where routine_type='FUNCTION' and routine_schema = '%s';

I ran that manually and MariaDB gave me the following error.

MariaDB [MyVideos116]> select routine_name from information_schema.routines where routine_type='FUNCTION';
ERROR 1558 (HY000): Column count of mysql.proc is wrong. Expected 21, found 20. Created with MariaDB 50563, now running 100317. Please use mysql_upgrade to fix this error

It looks like when I upgrade to MariaDB 10, it did not convert the databases automatically and hadn't complained until this query. I ran the mysql_upgrade on the command line and then re-ran the query which worked albeit returning no rows. Following that, I dropped the MyMusic82 and MyMusic119 databases and ran Kodi 19 again. This time the database migrated without a problem and the system is working perfectly.

I would suggest logging into whatever box is running your MySQL/MariaDB and executing the mysql_upgrade command to ensure all DBs are at the correct version for the MySQL/MariaDB engine.

Is it possible to get Kodi to log the error fault returned by MariaDB instead of the generic message? If I would have seen this message in the logs initially, it would have made the diagnostics much simpler.

Thanks ever so much for this solution!

I had the exact same issue (I run mariadb in docker) so I logged into the mariadb docker instance, used mysql to drop the MyMusic82 and MyMusic119 databases and then ran mysql_upgrade

I then rebooted my kodi 19 device and let it migrate the database and everything works great now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
shared library (mariadb) problem after migrating to matrix0