• 2(current)
Atmos Audio Dropouts with UHD-BD
Also having the problem and interested in hearing how things are going? Ie. Will the fix he part of kodi 18 final release? Thanks
No - and nobody is currently working on it.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-01-25, 21:10)fritsch Wrote: No - and nobody is currently working on it.

Is there any plan to work on it in the future? Thanks
removed
Did you check your HDMI cable?
Per the sample you uploaded, this Atmos track is between 10-12Mb/s
There's a possibility that an HDMI cable not capable of carrying too much data (both very high bitrate video and audio)
Keep in mind most Atmos tracks are in the range of about half of that (5-6Mb/s)
Cross-posting this from the Shield subreddit.

I just got my first Shield Pro (2019) today and stumbled across this problem quite quickly. Haven't found any more examples yet but my 4K Frozen II remux has reproducible audio stutter in certain places. There are a few starting at the 19:37 mark towards the end of the song.

I tried a few things like remuxing the original disc with different tools (makemkv/mkvtoolnix) but this made no difference. The same remux in MPC-HC/MadVR on PC is absolutely fine. I tried the latest Kodi 19 nightly on the Shield, no improvement. The only workaround for now it to use eac3to to make WAVs from the TrueHD track then re-encode these to DTS-HD, stuttering is gone now.

I did notice the new options in Kodi 19 for choosing a frame unpacker (not sure if that's the right wording, can't check now as I've rolled back to 18.7 on the Shield) but I tried all possible combinations of the Kodi/Android frame thing and nothing stopped the stuttering.

edit: Following Balthazar's trail of threads/issues/reports, it looks like the LAV Filter/exoPlayer guys figured it out in the end and fixed it here.  Kind of surprised this isn't fixed in Kodi 19 if the root cause has already been identified, or am I over-simplifying?
Yes. You do - their fix has nothing to do with our issue, which is in Passthrough parsing code, while their's was opening the buffer with too low size.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
OK, thanks for your help fritsch.  I've since setup Plex on the Shield TV just to confirm and indeed with that, the stuttering is gone.  I don't really like Plex though so I'll just disable TrueHD passthrough in Kodi on the Shield and hope that someone figures this out one day.
It would be really great if someone could please work on this. More and more titles are becoming unusable and I am going to have to stop using Kodi. I love Kodi and have it setup so perfectly in every other way. I blew 20+ hours trying to fix this in my end before finding this thread. I wonder how many other people have spent so much time trying to trouble shoot a known issue.

I’ve got a 2015, 2017, and 2019 Shield and all are having this issue on all version 18’s of Kodi, v19 Matrix-alpha 1, and the Kodi nightly that I tried.

Please please please and thanks,
craigr
Don't suppose there's any movement on this one?  I still have to set "TrueHD capable receiver" to 'no' even though both my Kodi setups in the house support it.

I tried Matrix beta 2 last night but it behaves the same way.  Is it worth raising an issue on Github or something?
(2020-12-19, 18:17)beeswax Wrote: Don't suppose there's any movement on this one?  I still have to set "TrueHD capable receiver" to 'no' even though both my Kodi setups in the house support it.

I tried Matrix beta 2 last night but it behaves the same way.  Is it worth raising an issue on Github or something?

This has been ongoing for over a year, it seems they just don’t care to fix existing issues, but releasing the next new version is more important!
I would really like to see this fixed. What needs to be done?
Send a Pull-Request to github.com/xbmc - after review it can go in.
I was just revisiting this since Kodi 19 went final and I saw another thread about TrueHD.  Is there any relevance to the fact that the native Android packer option doesn't really improve matters?  It was posited that the reason for the TrueHD Atmos stutters on some discs (like Frozen II) were down to Kodi's implementation of passthrough but if handing it off to Android's own passthrough isn't fixing the problem, could this have been an incorrect assumption?
(2021-02-27, 03:09)beeswax Wrote: I was just revisiting this since Kodi 19 went final and I saw another thread about TrueHD.  Is there any relevance to the fact that the native Android packer option doesn't really improve matters?  It was posited that the reason for the TrueHD Atmos stutters on some discs (like Frozen II) were down to Kodi's implementation of passthrough but if handing it off to Android's own passthrough isn't fixing the problem, could this have been an incorrect assumption?
I was wondering the same thing and was also heart broken when the “fix” did not fix the dropouts.

craigr
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Atmos Audio Dropouts with UHD-BD0