Android Music Video Thumbnail being set as a Poster
Hi

As per everyone else's comments - Amber is a great skin. Thank you.

Recently, has there either been a Kodi or Amber change that impacts on Music Video Thumbnails? "Thumbnails" are now setting as "Posters" and therefore are not being displayed in the Tall List (etc.).

To my understanding "Poster" is not a valid NFO (xml) Tag so I don't think that "Poster" should even be showing as a part of the "Music Video Content" type?

Options available in "Choose Art" for "Music Videos" are listing as: Poster / Fanart / Icon / Thumbnail.

At this stage it seems that only "Music Video Content" is affected?

I have tried reverting back to Estuary where there  are mixed results, with some thumbnails displaying and others not. On checking the NFO's for these they all formatted as per the example below.

I am running Amber 3.4.11 on Android (NVIDIA Shield TV Pro), Kodi 19.0.0 Matrix (GIT:20210218-F44FDFBF67), with Music Video set to Tall List (all other View Types also do not display the Thumbnail as the the Thumbnail is being set as a Poster). The "Info Panel" and clip "Title" display as per normal but the "Thumbnail" no longer displays.

All music videos in my library have manually created <musicvideo></musicvideo> NFO's using the <thumb></thumb> tags to provide the Thumbnail. The scraper is set to Music Videos / Local Information Only. But even after deleting, cleaning and rebuilding the Music Video Library when scraping from THEAUDIODB.COM for Music Videos, thumbnails are still being set as Posters?

NFO Example:
<musicvideo>
<title>It's You</title>
<artist>Duck Sauce</artist>
<album>It's You</album>
<year>2013</year>
<plot>Duck Sauce is an American/Canadian DJ duo consisting of Armand Van Helden and A-Trak. The duo is signed to Casablanca Records & Republic Records. The pair aims to produce disco house tracks that will appeal to club DJs.</plot>
<thumb>Duck Sauce.jpg</thumb>
<genre>House</genre>
</musicvideo>

I have tried updating the <thumb></thumb> tag with <thumb preview=""></thumb>, but this doesn't help. Perhaps I am setting the local path incorrectly? Thumbnails are saved in the same folder as the video and nfo file.

Manually adding each Thumbnail via Information / Extras / Choose Art / Thumbnail, does result in the Thumbnail being displayed correct as per previously.

"Use Folder Names for Lookups" in "Content Scanning Options" is disabled as all files are in a single directory. Enabling this makes no difference to this issue.

Until recently there has not been an issue with Thumbnails in Music Video Content setting as Thumbnails. Has something changed and do I need to update anything?

Thank you for your help.
(2021-03-11, 02:16)demurf Wrote: Hi

Recently, has there either been a Kodi or Amber change that impacts on Music Video Thumbnails? "Thumbnails" are now setting as "Posters" and therefore are not being displayed in the Tall List (etc.).

To my understanding "Poster" is not a valid NFO (xml) Tag so I don't think that "Poster" should even be showing as a part of the "Music Video Content" type?

Options available in "Choose Art" for "Music Videos" are listing as: Poster / Fanart / Icon / Thumbnail.

I have tried reverting back to Estuary where there  are mixed results, with some thumbnails displaying and others not. On checking the NFO's for these they all formatted as per the example below.

I am running Amber 3.4.11 on Android (NVIDIA Shield TV Pro), Kodi 19.0.0 Matrix (GIT:20210218-F44FDFBF67), with Music Video set to Tall List (all other View Types also do not display the Thumbnail as the the Thumbnail is being set as a Poster). The "Info Panel" and clip "Title" display as per normal but the "Thumbnail" no longer displays.

All music videos in my library have manually created <musicvideo></musicvideo> NFO's using the <thumb></thumb> tags to provide the Thumbnail. The scraper is set to Music Videos / Local Information Only. But even after deleting, cleaning and rebuilding the Music Video Library when scraping from THEAUDIODB.COM for Music Videos, thumbnails are still being set as Posters?

NFO Example:
<musicvideo>
<title>It's You</title>
<album>It's You</album>
<year>2013</year>
<plot>Duck Sauce is an American/Canadian DJ duo consisting of Armand Van Helden and A-Trak. The duo is signed to Casablanca Records & Republic Records. The pair aims to produce disco house tracks that will appeal to club DJs.</plot>
<genre>House</genre>
</musicvideo>

I have tried updating the <thumb></thumb> tag with <thumb preview=""></thumb>, but this doesn't help. Perhaps I am setting the local path incorrectly? Thumbnails are saved in the same folder as the video and nfo file.

Manually adding each Thumbnail via Information / Extras / Choose Art / Thumbnail, does result in the Thumbnail being displayed correct as per previously.

"Use Folder Names for Lookups" in "Content Scanning Options" is disabled as all files are in a single directory. Enabling this makes no difference to this issue.

Until recently there has not been an issue with Thumbnails in Music Video Content setting as Thumbnails. Has something changed and do I need to update anything?

Thank you for your help.
@demurf, thank you for your feedback.  I will check to see what is going on.  If necessary, I will add an option to explicitly show thumb for music videos.  More to come on this.

Regards,

Bart
Amber Maintainer
Main HTPC: Intel Core i7, 32GB, nVidia GTX1080, Windows 11 Soundbar: Samsung HW-Q950A TV: LG CX Kodi: 19.3 Skin: Amber
(2021-03-11, 12:42)bsoriano Wrote:

NFO Example:
<musicvideo>
<title>It's You</title>
<album>It's You</album>
<year>2013</year>
<genre>House</genre>
</musicvideo>

Thank you for your help.
@demurf, thank you for your feedback.  I will check to see what is going on.  If necessary, I will add an option to explicitly show thumb for music videos.  More to come on this.

Regards,

Bart

Hi Bart

Thank you for your quick response. I appreciate it.

I spent a few hours playing around with this issue today without much luck. I.did notice that changing the Content to Movies restored the Thumbnails but of course ruined the Title info etc.

Also of note is that I have set the Music Video Home menu action to Music Video / Titles. This provides the preferred full title name (artist-track name), full Plot, but now the Thumbnail is missing.

Changing the Music Video Home menu action from Music Video / Titles to Music Video / Artist displays the Thumbnail as a Thumbnail ( no Poster option is available - which is expected) but only the Artist name is displayed, no track name, and the Info Panel displays Albumn name tag instead of the Plot tag.

I hope this info assists with any of your investigations.

Keep up the great work. I am sure the community appreciates it as Amber is an awesone skin!
(2021-03-11, 13:15)demurf Wrote:
(2021-03-11, 12:42)bsoriano Wrote:

NFO Example:
<musicvideo>
<title>It's You</title>
<album>It's You</album>
<year>2013</year>
<genre>House</genre>
</musicvideo>

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Bart

Hi Bart

I spent a few hours playing around with this issue today without much luck. I.did notice that changing the Content to Movies restored the Thumbnails but of course ruined the Title info etc.

Also of note is that I have set the Music Video Home menu action to Music Video / Titles. This provides the preferred full title name (artist-track name), full Plot, but now the Thumbnail is missing.

Changing the Music Video Home menu action from Music Video / Titles to Music Video / Artist displays the Thumbnail as a Thumbnail ( no Poster option is available - which is expected) but only the Artist name is displayed, no track name, and the Info Panel displays Albumn name tag instead of the Plot tag.

Keep up the great work. I am sure the community appreciates it as Amber is an awesone skin!
@demurf , after looking at this, it seems that the issue is not the skin, but Kodi's behaviour.  If you have enabled in the Kodi settings, "Extract thumbnails from video files", then, in my testing, Kodi completely ignores wht you have in your NFO file, and attempts to extract a thumbnail.  For .mp4 files, it usually does, so a thumbnail is shown.  For other types of files, I am not sure, as I do not have any music videos that are not .mp4.  The setting is here:

The skin is coded to show the thumbnail for music video files.  So, in order to ensure that only the thumb that you have set in your NFO is shown, I suggest that you disable the setting shown in the screenshot above, edit your music video source and set the content to None, remove all music videos from the library, and edit your music video source again and set the content back to music videos, and rescan your music videos back into the library.

I did that, and after that, all of my music videos that had a thumb specified in the NFO showed the correct thumbnail; all others showed a Kodi generated thumbnail.

Please let me know if that works for you.  Thanks.

Regards,

Bart
Amber Maintainer
Main HTPC: Intel Core i7, 32GB, nVidia GTX1080, Windows 11 Soundbar: Samsung HW-Q950A TV: LG CX Kodi: 19.3 Skin: Amber
(2021-03-11, 15:08)bsoriano Wrote:
(2021-03-11, 13:15)demurf Wrote:
(2021-03-11, 12:42)bsoriano Wrote: @demurf, thank you for your feedback.  I will check to see what is going on.  If necessary, I will add an option to explicitly show thumb for music videos.  More to come on this.

Regards,

Bart

Hi Bart

@demurf , after looking at this, it seems that the issue is not the skin, but Kodi's behaviour.  If you have enabled in the Kodi settings, "Extract thumbnails from video files", then, in my testing, Kodi completely ignores wht you have in your NFO file, and attempts to extract a thumbnail.  For .mp4 files, it usually does, so a thumbnail is shown.  For other types of files, I am not sure, as I do not have any music videos that are not .mp4.  The setting is here:

The skin is coded to show the thumbnail for music video files.  So, in order to ensure that only the thumb that you have set in your NFO is shown, I suggest that you disable the setting shown in the screenshot above, edit your music video source and set the content to None, remove all music videos from the library, and edit your music video source again and set the content back to music videos, and rescan your music videos back into the library.

I did that, and after that, all of my music videos that had a thumb specified in the NFO showed the correct thumbnail; all others showed a Kodi generated thumbnail.

Regards,

Bart

Hi Bart

Thank you for your time and effort. I appreciate it very much.

FYI: The majority of my video files are  mp4 as well.

I followed the steps that you provided (including the disabling of the "Extract thumbnails from video files", sadly for me there is no change.

The LOOK that I am trying to restore is Thumbnail on the Left | Info Panel / Plot in the Centre | ARTIST-TITLE on the Right, of the Music Video Menu.

Back to Title view: When using the Context menu / Information - on a file, the Thumbnail / Poster displays. Selecting Extras / Choose Art and manually selecting the Thumbnail (which is currently showing No Art) results in the jpg being displayed on the main menu.

Today I tried:
~deleting the Music Video NODE and MUSIC VIDEO source and rebuilding - no change. 
~changing the Menu Action path - no change.
~
~Changing the Content to Movies and re scanning restores the Thumbnail (on the Left), noting that it is scraped from the NFO as a Poster, the Info Panel / Plot in the Centre is displayed,  but only the Title info is displayed on the right (not Artist-Title). This almost displays as I would like!
~changing from TITLE view to ARTISTS view - the Thumbnails display but TITLE and PLOT disappear.

I have a similar NFO only setup for Documentaries which works as per the LOOK described above. It does not suffer the same issue as being discussed for Music Video

As you suspect that this is a Kodi config issue I will continue changing the Video config settings until I randomly find a solution.

Everything was originally OK but I think that my since NVIDIA Shield TV Pro updated Kodi to Matrix 19.0.0 this one thing changed on my system. I really don't want to do a full reinstall of Kodi to see if that fixes the issue...the thought of a rebuild!!

Thanks again...I will keep you posted if I work this out (but after 5 days of looking my head hurts!! LOL)
(2021-03-12, 03:12)demurf Wrote:
(2021-03-11, 15:08)bsoriano Wrote:
(2021-03-11, 13:15)demurf Wrote: Hi Bart

Regards,

Bart

Hi Bart

I followed the steps that you provided (including the disabling of the "Extract thumbnails from video files", sadly for me there is no change.

The LOOK that I am trying to restore is Thumbnail on the Left | Info Panel / Plot in the Centre | ARTIST-TITLE on the Right, of the Music Video Menu.

Back to Title view: When using the Context menu / Information - on a file, the Thumbnail / Poster displays. Selecting Extras / Choose Art and manually selecting the Thumbnail (which is currently showing No Art) results in the jpg being displayed on the main menu.

Today I tried:
~deleting the Music Video NODE and MUSIC VIDEO source and rebuilding - no change. 
~
~Changing the Content to Movies and re scanning restores the Thumbnail (on the Left), noting that it is scraped from the NFO as a Poster, the Info Panel / Plot in the Centre is displayed,  but only the Title info is displayed on the right (not Artist-Title). This almost displays as I would like!
~changing from TITLE view to ARTISTS view - the Thumbnails display but TITLE and PLOT disappear.

I have a similar NFO only setup for Documentaries which works as per the LOOK described above. It does not suffer the same issue as being discussed for Music Video

As you suspect that this is a Kodi config issue I will continue changing the Video config settings until I randomly find a solution.

Everything was originally OK but I think that my since NVIDIA Shield TV Pro updated Kodi to Matrix 19.0.0 this one thing changed on my system. I really don't want to do a full reinstall of Kodi to see if that fixes the issue...the thought of a rebuild!!

Thanks again...I will keep you posted if I work this out (but after 5 days of looking my head hurts!! LOL)

@demurf, from what you write it seems that Kodi is not loading the thumb into the db and texture cache.  Given that you are on Matrix, did you set the artwork level for videos to Maximum? With that configuration, Kodi picks up all of the artwork you have locally and loads it when you scan items into your library.

Regards,

Bart
Amber Maintainer
(2021-03-12, 05:04)bsoriano Wrote:
(2021-03-12, 03:12)demurf Wrote:
(2021-03-11, 15:08)bsoriano Wrote: @demurf , after looking at this, it seems that the issue is not the skin, but Kodi's behaviour.  If you have enabled in the Kodi settings, "Extract thumbnails from video files", then, in my testing, Kodi completely ignores wht you have in your NFO file, and attempts to extract a thumbnail.  For .mp4 files, it usually does, so a thumbnail is shown.  For other types of files, I am not sure, as I do not have any music videos that are not .mp4.  The setting is here:

Regards,

Bart

Hi Bart

Today I tried:
~

@demurf, from what you write it seems that Kodi is not loading the thumb into the db and texture cache.  Given that you are on Matrix, did you set the artwork level for videos to Maximum? With that configuration, Kodi picks up all of the artwork you have locally and loads it when you scan items into your library.

Regards,

Bart

Hi Bart

I can confirm that Videos / Media/ Artwork / Artwork Level - is set to Maximum. And "Extract Thumbnails from Video Files" is disabled.

I wonder if I should try clearing the caches?
(2021-03-12, 05:43)demurf Wrote:
(2021-03-12, 05:04)bsoriano Wrote:
(2021-03-12, 03:12)demurf Wrote: Hi Bart

Today I tried:
~

Regards,

Bart

Hi Bart

I can confirm that Videos / Media/ Artwork / Artwork Level - is set to Maximum. And "Extract Thumbnails from Video Files" is disabled.

I wonder if I should try clearing the caches?

@demurf , I did some more tests today, and there is definitely something going on with the thumb art type, since I could not get any of the ones I defined in the NFOs to show up, unless I changed them via the Choose Art dialog.

What I did find is that it seems that Kodi is ignoring what you have set in the NFO in terms of art, and instead goes by what it finds locally next to the video file.  And it seems that the naming of the files is important as well.  So, if you have a file named thumb.jpg or <video file name>-thumb.jpg, Kodi will pick it up and assign it as the thumb for that file when the music video is scanned into the library.

I am not sure how extensive your music video collection is, but perhaps you could try with a small group, rename the thumbnail file to thumb.jpg or <video file name>-thumb.jpg, delete those music videos from your library, and scan them again.  Please let me know if this works for you.  Thanks.

Regards,

Bart
Amber Maintainer
Explicitly set the aspect attribute to get reliable behavior - in this case to "thumb", like <thumb aspect="thumb">Duck Sauce.jpg</thumb>.
(2021-03-13, 03:29)rmrector Wrote: Explicitly set the aspect attribute to get reliable behavior - in this case to "thumb", like <thumb aspect="thumb">Duck Sauce.jpg</thumb>.

Hi Bart,

That's new to me. I will give that a try and post back.
(2021-03-13, 12:28)demurf Wrote:
(2021-03-13, 03:29)rmrector Wrote: Explicitly set the aspect attribute to get reliable behavior - in this case to "thumb", like <thumb aspect="thumb">Duck Sauce.jpg</thumb>.

Hi Bart,

My apologies rmrector for greeting you as Bart. I appreciate your response and look forward to testing the attribute on my system
(2021-03-13, 12:36)demurf Wrote:
(2021-03-13, 12:28)demurf Wrote:

Hi Bart,

My apologies rmrector for greeting you as Bart. I appreciate your response and look forward to testing the attribute on my system

rmrector & Bart, I am really happy to report that rmrector attribute solution below is a success.

Quote:
"Explicitly set the aspect attribute to get reliable behavior - in this case to "thumb", like <thumb aspect="thumb">Duck Sauce.jpg</thumb>".

The thumbnail jpg. now attributes as a "Thumbnail" not as a "Poster" and displays correctly on the Music Video menu page and the videos Information menu page.

I am not sure what changed but happy to know how to fix this issue.

I am grateful for your time and help.

Now I have some work to do!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Video Thumbnail being set as a Poster0