How to show FPS in Retroplayer? And a few other questions
1. Is there away to show current FPS in Retroplayer like we can by hitting the 'o' key when playing video?
2. What's the difference between the 'beetle' versions of the cores in the Kodi repo? e.g. 'kodi-game-libretro-beetle-bsnes' and 'kodi-game-libretro-bsnes-mercury-*'
3. Is there a way to add additional shaders to my current install? I am running Kodi on Ubuntu (from the Kodi repo), and it only has Nearest Neighbour and Bilinear
4. I notice there is no Sega Genesis core in the Ubuntu repo. How can I add it to my existing install?

Thanks!
(2021-03-13, 03:04)username145 Wrote: 1. Is there away to show current FPS in Retroplayer like we can by hitting the 'o' key when playing video?
2. What's the difference between the 'beetle' versions of the cores in the Kodi repo? e.g. 'kodi-game-libretro-beetle-bsnes' and 'kodi-game-libretro-bsnes-mercury-*'
3. Is there a way to add additional shaders to my current install? I am running Kodi on Ubuntu (from the Kodi repo), and it only has Nearest Neighbour and Bilinear
4. I notice there is no Sega Genesis core in the Ubuntu repo. How can I add it to my existing install?

Thanks!

Figured out #4 myself (use Zach Morris's build bot)

The main issue now is that I am getting some occasional choppiness when playing SNES games, with any core I try. I think the same is happening with the genesis core, but I would need a frame rate counter to be sure. Specs are:

Intel NUC 11 i5 (Tiger lake)
Intel Xe GPU (integrated)
16GB RAM
NVME SSD
Ubuntu Server 20.04 (with oem-kernel which has more recent intel drivers)
Kodi 19

These are the things I have tried:

1. Lowering it to 1080p 50Hz and 60Hz (I normally run the GUI at 4k 50Hz)
2. Disabling the rewind feature
3. Various Snes9x and bsnes cores

GPU and CPU usage are quite low during play. Playing actual videos in Kodi, as well as the general UI is very smooth on this machine, it is only emulation which seems to be the issue. Does anyone have any clue what could be going on here?
(2021-03-13, 07:40)username145 Wrote:
(2021-03-13, 03:04)username145 Wrote: 1. Is there away to show current FPS in Retroplayer like we can by hitting the 'o' key when playing video?

Thanks!

Figured out #4 myself (use Zach Morris's build bot)

The main issue now is that I am getting some occasional choppiness when playing SNES games, with any core I try. I think the same is happening with the genesis core, but I would need a frame rate counter to be sure. Specs are:

Intel NUC 11 i5 (Tiger lake)
Intel Xe GPU (integrated)
16GB RAM
NVME SSD
Ubuntu Server 20.04 (with oem-kernel which has more recent intel drivers)
Kodi 19

These are the things I have tried:

1. Lowering it to 1080p 50Hz and 60Hz (I normally run the GUI at 4k 50Hz)
2. Disabling the rewind feature
3. Various Snes9x and bsnes cores

GPU and CPU usage are quite low during play. Playing actual videos in Kodi, as well as the general UI is very smooth on this machine, it is only emulation which seems to be the issue. Does anyone have any clue what could be going on here?

I noticed that too. Small lags occur at intervals of 6 or 8 seconds.
Disabling rewind is the first thing that should be tried for performance problems. Next is to post a debug log. And asking for a FPS counter Smile It was on my list of things to do but never got finished. But at this stage a debug log is most important.
(2021-03-14, 00:04)garbear Wrote: Disabling rewind is the first thing that should be tried for performance problems. Next is to post a debug log. And asking for a FPS counter Smile It was on my list of things to do but never got finished. But at this stage a debug log is most important.

I noticed there's an FPS counter in the overlay when you turn on debugging, but I don't know if that counter is measuring the right thing in our case (probably not).

Here's a debug log of me starting Kodi and briefly playing a SNES game with the Snes9x core. Both the rewind feature and auto save are disabled. There was some stuttering during play. https://paste.kodi.tv/ovonayodar.kodi

Thanks for your time
Just to make sure I wasn't imagining the frame drops/micro stutters, I played the same ROM on my Windows machine using the Snes9x emulator and the difference was quite noticeable.
Tried disabling Intel's CPU frequency throttling feature in case that was the cause, but the stutters remain. I think this thread describes a similar issue, but was not resolved: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=339510
Is there any component-specific debugging I can enable that will be relevant for retroplayer? Are there any config files (e.g. retroarch.cfg) where I can try to tweak things?
(2021-03-13, 20:45)2alek Wrote: I noticed that too. Small lags occur at intervals of 6 or 8 seconds.

What are your system specs? Which OS?

For me, the issue can be easily reproduced by playing the first level of Super Mario Brothers (as part of Super Mario All Stars) on SNES, using any core. As you progress through the level there is stutter in certain places, even though CPU and GPU usage is very low.
(2021-03-19, 08:50)username145 Wrote:
(2021-03-13, 20:45)2alek Wrote: I noticed that too. Small lags occur at intervals of 6 or 8 seconds.

For me, the issue can be easily reproduced by playing the first level of Super Mario Brothers (as part of Super Mario All Stars) on SNES, using any core. As you progress through the level there is stutter in certain places, even though CPU and GPU usage is very low.

I5 3570k processor and 12GB ram. SSD. Windows 10, version 1909. I noticed this problem in all cores. But something they did in the last version that fixed the problem in the Nes (Nestopia). Only in this emulator. Playing Super Mario World on Snes9x, the frames per second alternates between 60.5 and 59.5. Processor usage varies between 20 or 30%.
(2021-03-19, 19:42)2alek Wrote:
(2021-03-19, 08:50)username145 Wrote:

I5 3570k processor and 12GB ram. SSD. Windows 10, version 1909. I noticed this problem in all cores. But something they did in the last version that fixed the problem in the Nes (Nestopia). Only in this emulator. Playing Super Mario World on Snes9x, the frames per second alternates between 60.5 and 59.5. Processor usage varies between 20 or 30%.
I just tried windows and it happens for me too.

@garbear do you have any clues?
I think it can be an issue with the optimization of the emulator, which is becoming a resource hog and is creating a performance bottleneck, hence the framerate drop
I see the stutter using SNES cores too (just on SNES not on Mame or FB Alpha for example). Very similar to what has been described in: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/19622

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to show FPS in Retroplayer? And a few other questions0