Linux Specific SD channels playing out of sync and pixelated
I am running Kodi 18 as front end for Mythtv 30 and utilizing HDHomeRun tuners. I receive about 30 channels (mix of HD and SD), and all except four (actually one channel with four sub-channels) come in great.
These four channels lose the synchronization between audio and video, and the content stops and goes, sometimes pixelated. They are unwatchable. They are low definition and low power but I get good solid signal at the tuners. When I play the same channels through the Mythtv front end (or VLC, etc.) they play perfectly. This behavior is the same for live tv and recorded programs.

What suggestions can be shared to track down why these particular channels are not playing correctly?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kodi on OSMC (Pi), Android and Debian. MythTV system on Debian.
(2021-04-11, 05:10)gnicko Wrote: I am running Kodi 18 as front end for Mythtv 30 and utilizing HDHomeRun tuners. I receive about 30 channels (mix of HD and SD), and all except four (actually one channel with four sub-channels) come in great.
These four channels lose the synchronization between audio and video, and the content stops and goes, sometimes pixelated. They are unwatchable. They are low definition and low power but I get good solid signal at the tuners. When I play the same channels through the Mythtv front end they play perfectly. This behavior is the same for live tv and recorded programs.

What suggestions can be shared to track down why these particular channels are not playing correctly?
Are you running a Pi for Kodi and if so which one (3 or 4)? Is your Kodi connected via WiFi?
(2021-04-12, 03:41)stuckinthehome Wrote:
(2021-04-11, 05:10)gnicko Wrote: I am running Kodi 18 as front end for Mythtv 30 and utilizing HDHomeRun tuners. I receive about 30 channels (mix of HD and SD), and all except four (actually one channel with four sub-channels) come in great.
These four channels lose the synchronization between audio and video, and the content stops and goes, sometimes pixelated. They are unwatchable. They are low definition and low power but I get good solid signal at the tuners. When I play the same channels through the Mythtv front end they play perfectly. This behavior is the same for live tv and recorded programs.

Are you running a Pi for Kodi and if so which one (3 or 4)? Is your Kodi connected via WiFi?
I am seeing the same behavior on Pi 3 on two TVs, Pi 4 on one, and a Asus laptop running Debian. The Pis are hard wired, the laptop is WiFi. There seems to be something about the four subchannels broadcast by one station that Kodi can't play correctly.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2021-04-12, 04:45)gnicko Wrote:
(2021-04-12, 03:41)stuckinthehome Wrote:

I am seeing the same behavior on Pi 3 on two TVs, Pi 4 on one, and a Asus laptop running Debian. The Pis are hard wired, the laptop is WiFi. There seems to be something about the four subchannels broadcast by one station that Kodi can't play correctly.

Which kernel are you running on the PI 3. I was running 5.10 kernel on my Pi 3 and was seeing the same issues. I rolled it back to 5.7 and all is well.
(2021-04-12, 16:23)stuckinthehome Wrote:
(2021-04-12, 04:45)gnicko Wrote:
(2021-04-12, 03:41)stuckinthehome Wrote: Are you running a Pi for Kodi and if so which one (3 or 4)? Is your Kodi connected via WiFi?

Which kernel are you running on the PI 3. I was running 5.10 kernel on my Pi 3 and was seeing the same issues. I rolled it back to 5.7 and all is well.
The Pi 3s and Pi 4 are running 4.19.122-2-osmc
The desktop and laptop are running 4.19.0-16-amd64

What makes this "odd" is that all of the other stations I get behave properly in Kodi...So the kernel doesn't seem to have a problem with any of that data.  And those affected stations behave well using the Mythtv frontend or VLC to play live TV or recordings on the same kernel...

(2021-04-12, 16:41)gnicko Wrote:
(2021-04-12, 16:23)stuckinthehome Wrote:
(2021-04-12, 04:45)gnicko Wrote: I am seeing the same behavior on Pi 3 on two TVs, Pi 4 on one, and a Asus laptop running Debian. The Pis are hard wired, the laptop is WiFi. There seems to be something about the four subchannels broadcast by one station that Kodi can't play correctly.

What makes this "odd" is that all of the other stations I get behave properly in Kodi...So the kernel doesn't seem to have a problem with any of that data.  And those affected stations behave well using the Mythtv frontend or VLC to play live TV or recordings on the same kernel...
I was seeing the same exact think with the wrong kernel but this was on the 1080p stations. Looks like your kernel is okay. In the Mythtv PVR addon client config, which playback do you have it set to use: mythtv or kodi. I use mythtv. Maybe try switching to see what happens. If this doesn't work try running in debug mode and see if givesyou a hint.
(2021-04-13, 06:31)stuckinthehome Wrote:
(2021-04-12, 16:41)gnicko Wrote:
(2021-04-12, 16:23)stuckinthehome Wrote: Which kernel are you running on the PI 3. I was running 5.10 kernel on my Pi 3 and was seeing the same issues. I rolled it back to 5.7 and all is well.

I was seeing the same exact think with the wrong kernel but this was on the 1080p stations. Looks like your kernel is okay. In the Mythtv PVR addon client config, which playback do you have it set to use: mythtv or kodi. I use mythtv. Maybe try switching to see what happens. If this doesn't work try running in debug mode and see if givesyou a hint.
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't seem to have a setting to choose which playback method to use, but I did change the setting for debug mode (I forgot about that one earlier. Maybe I'll find something now.)

I thought that the problem might be related to the fact that the content coming from these 4 sub-channels was broadcast at [email protected] but other stations are broadcasting the same geometry and the live TV and recordings from them are impeccable. I'm not sure what the difference is, but if I transcode the recordings (upping the frame rate to 59.96 and leaving everything else the same) from this station, they play fine.

I don't know of a way to "convert" the live stream tho. Is that possible with a filter or other setting?

ImageImageImage

C'mon guys.... any ideas? This is driving me crazy....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Specific SD channels playing out of sync and pixelated0