• 57(current)
Linux ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel
(2021-04-16, 11:24)noggin Wrote:
(2021-04-15, 12:47)madmax2 Wrote: how well does this device play 4k h265 10 bit no HDR and HDR etc when android tv is the OS
and running kodi on it?

When you say 4K h265 no HDR - do you mean playing back SDR 10-bit files, or HDR 10-bit files but output to an SDR display with tone mapping ?

I've had zero issues playing 10-bit SDR h.265 1080p files (mastered myself from 10-bit AVCi100 4:2:2 1080i sources) on my N2 (I don't have an N2+)

I just mean 4k h265 that has HDR and one that does not have HDR but is still 4k etc..
and also running this on android TV with kodi.

Also is there any picture or performance issues if the TV is 4k but does not have HDR but playing a HDR file?

You tested with 1080p, but what about 4k?

Does android TV + kodi have comparable or worst performance than nvidia shield running android TV + kodi?
and how does the 4k h265 HDR and non HDR movies play on nvidia shield vs n2+?
(2021-04-18, 01:08)madmax2 Wrote:
(2021-04-16, 11:24)noggin Wrote:
(2021-04-15, 12:47)madmax2 Wrote: how well does this device play 4k h265 10 bit no HDR and HDR etc when android tv is the OS
and running kodi on it?

When you say 4K h265 no HDR - do you mean playing back SDR 10-bit files, or HDR 10-bit files but output to an SDR display with tone mapping ?

I've had zero issues playing 10-bit SDR h.265 1080p files (mastered myself from 10-bit AVCi100 4:2:2 1080i sources) on my N2 (I don't have an N2+)

I just mean 4k h265 that has HDR and one that does not have HDR but is still 4k etc..

Ah - you specified 10-bit non-HDR originally. I thought your question was particularly about 10-bit SDR content - which is pretty rare. I don't have access to 10-bit UHD SDR content to master from - so that's why I discussed 1080p SDR 10-bit which I mastered myself.

What sources of UHD h.265 SDR content do you have that you're interested in playing? In my experience pretty much all UHD h.265 stuff is HDR, though there are some Netflix series that are early UHD SDR that Netflix stream in h.265.

Most UHD SDR stuff, outside of OTT streaming, still seems to be h.264 (and 8-bit, as 10-bit h.264 is a niche format) - though I do have some early UHD DVB-T2 h.265 off-air test stuff that is SDR 8-bit.
Hi there,
i couldn't find an answer by searching the thread, so I'll just ask: 

Does the N2(+) "announce" itself to the TV/AVR via HDMI-Link or whatever its called? (on the PS4 it is)

For example, my FireStick4k and PS4 can be selected through the TVs input selection when they are turned on.
Selecting them will change the AVRs Input to that device's HDMI Port.

This is a fantastic feature, since I'm using the TV remote for everything (Sony 65XH9505, Bluetooth Remote), it allows changing the AVR input with 3 button presses.

Otherwise one has to go throught the AVR's "Now playing" menu which works, but is considerably slower.
AVR is a DENON X3500H, btw.

Thanks in advance!

.dcp
(2021-04-19, 10:19)noggin Wrote: In my experience pretty much all UHD h.265 stuff is HDR, though there are some Netflix series that are early UHD SDR that Netflix stream in h.265.

Out of interest, when you say UHD do you just mean 4k or are you aware of content that's 4k WCG (BT2020) and SDR?  The existence of displays that handle that (but not full HDR10) suggests there is/was some about.
(2021-05-04, 12:17)graham-h Wrote:
(2021-04-19, 10:19)noggin Wrote: In my experience pretty much all UHD h.265 stuff is HDR, though there are some Netflix series that are early UHD SDR that Netflix stream in h.265.

Out of interest, when you say UHD do you just mean 4k or are you aware of content that's 4k WCG (BT2020) and SDR?  The existence of displays that handle that (but not full HDR10) suggests there is/was some about.

I was making more of an attempt at differentiating UHD (aka 4K) h.265 stuff from UHD h.264 stuff.

Most UHD h.265 stuff I see these days is also HDR (HDR10 Rec 2020 + ST.2084 PQ EOTF usually, though sometimes Rec 2020 + ARIB-B67 HLG EOTF) - though Netflix and Prime Video have some UHD SDR stuff that they encode in h.265 - though I think this is all Rec 709 gamut too (i.e. not Rec 2020 SDR)

However there is some UHD h.264 stuff kicking around - and that is almost universally Rec 709 SDR.
(2021-04-29, 11:06).dcp Wrote: Hi there,
i couldn't find an answer by searching the thread, so I'll just ask: 

Does the N2(+) "announce" itself to the TV/AVR via HDMI-Link or whatever its called? (on the PS4 it is)

For example, my FireStick4k and PS4 can be selected through the TVs input selection when they are turned on.
Selecting them will change the AVRs Input to that device's HDMI Port.

This is a fantastic feature, since I'm using the TV remote for everything (Sony 65XH9505, Bluetooth Remote), it allows changing the AVR input with 3 button presses.

Otherwise one has to go throught the AVR's "Now playing" menu which works, but is considerably slower.
AVR is a DENON X3500H, btw.

Thanks in advance!

.dcp
hdmi cec, should be supported
Hi,
Has anyone had an issue with the system time not updating on the N2? My N2 recently update to coreelec 19.2 RC2 and for some reason the system time is not getting updated by ntp.
I have also posted over in the coreelec forums.

Thanks
kip
Quote: You can have both, CE and Android, installed on a single eMMC in a dual boot configuration, and choose which to run as needed, since CE does not have a web browser.

@Sholander

Can you please explain/elaborate on this or you can point me to some guide regarding this?

If 2 OSs recide on a single eMMC, how to switch between the two?

Reply is much appreciated, thanks in advance
(2021-07-04, 14:02)zeeya Wrote:
Quote:You can have both, CE and Android, installed on a single eMMC in a dual boot configuration, and choose which to run as needed, since CE does not have a web browser.

@Sholander

Can you please explain/elaborate on this or you can point me to some guide regarding this?

Follow this link for detail explanation.
(2021-07-04, 20:27)Sholander Wrote:
(2021-07-04, 14:02)zeeya Wrote:
Quote:You can have both, CE and Android, installed on a single eMMC in a dual boot configuration, and choose which to run as needed, since CE does not have a web browser.

@Sholander

Follow this link for detail explanation.
Thanks for the quick reply
Hi, I'm not sure if this is a Kodi, LG, Odroid or Corelec problem so forgive me but I've got to start somewhere!

I have used Kodi for many years on many devices and upon purchasing a new 4K TV (LG G1) and ATMOS soundbar (LG SP11RA) I realised my C2's wouldn't cut it anymore so upgraded to an N2+. I'm having real problems with audio/video and can't seem to figure out what's the best setting, and where, to be able to narrow anything down. Here's what I've tried and the outcome, any advice on what I assume would be Kodi settings?

(Using Corelec v19.2_RC2, TV is connected to soundbar via HDMI eARC, all new cables, TV audio is set to passthrough, Kodi is set to passthrough, channels set to 7.1 and all the passthrough options ticked)

1. N2+ connected to TV - HDR video works, ATMOS works, no DTSX which I understand is due to LG not passing through DTS and some 1080p TV content seems not to output any audio
2. N2+ connected to Soundbar - HDR video works, ATMOS works, DTSX works, not convinced I'm getting surround on standard content but the biggest issue is that the video is constantly being corrupted which even a reboot won't fix (however connecting the N2 directly to the TV restores the video again)

I presume option 2 would be the preferred setup but have no idea what is happening with the video and my wife friendly setup is looking decidedly dodgy and ready for the bin
It seems you isolated your problem to the video passthrough on your sound bar.
However, it can work fine for hours and then suddenly I can play a different file and it's then corrupted again
(2021-07-26, 18:25)ShinyAndy Wrote: However, it can work fine for hours and then suddenly I can play a different file and it's then corrupted again
What do you mean "corrupted"?  If you mean video dropouts and a blocky picture, try a different cable.  If you mean a black screen and no picture or audio whatsoever that sounds more like a handshake issue that a software/firmware update might be able to resolve.
Neither, the screen goes completely pink/green tinged/garbage and barely legible GUI underneath and then the box locks up. Tried multiple cables (all new, latest spec and work from TV to N2 fine) and firmware for TV and soundbar are the latest as far as I'm aware as nothing comes up when I check.

Think I've fixed the option 1 issue of no sound on some videos (AAC 2.0) by using the HDMI audio out with Multi Ch PCM. I would prefer to get DTS working as well though
  • 57(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel4