Menu builder and Favorites
I have noticed a bug in the menu builder within Amber.

What I was trying to do was to create a menu to drive my selection of stations created by the RADIO add-on.  Essentially you use the radio add-on to create favorites of the radio stations you like.  What I have noticed is that if you create a menu item with a selected favorite as the default, any sub-menu items created below this item GENERALLY doesn't show. This doesn't happen all the time but most of them.  Further to this if the sub-menu items do show and you move that menu item say 4 or 5 spots to the left the sub-menu disappears permanently.  I have a feeling that the bug maybe a function of the position within the menu but not sure..

Any thoughts on this guys

cheers

John
(2021-05-13, 08:14)dawsonjw Wrote: I have noticed a bug in the menu builder within Amber.

What I was trying to do was to create a menu to drive my selection of stations created by the RADIO add-on.  Essentially you use the radio add-on to create favorites of the radio stations you like.  What I have noticed is that if you create a menu item with a selected favorite as the default, any sub-menu items created below this item GENERALLY doesn't show. This doesn't happen all the time but most of them.  Further to this if the sub-menu items do show and you move that menu item say 4 or 5 spots to the left the sub-menu disappears permanently.  I have a feeling that the bug maybe a function of the position within the menu but not sure..

Any thoughts on this guys

cheers

John
@dawsonjw , I have not been able to reproduce this.  I tested (Matrix, under Windows) adding stations from the Radio addon to favorites, and then adding one of those favorites as a menu item, and adding other favorite radio statios as submenu items, and it worked fine.

Could you please list the sequence of steps that you went through to arrive at this issue? Also, could you please post a debug log of when the issue happens? Thanks.

Regards,

Bart
Amber Maintainer
Main HTPC: Intel Core i7, 32GB, nVidia GTX1080, Windows 11 Soundbar: Samsung HW-Q950A TV: LG CX Kodi: 19.3 Skin: Amber
Hi Bart
Thanks for looking at the problem for me. Can you do one other test for me? Just move the Radio menu item all the way to the left and see if the sub menu disappears. In the mean time I’ll get you a debug log.

Cheers

John
Hi Bart,
          OK I have a debug log here.  The output was the same result.  Even though I created a set of submenus they don't show on the menu even though the menu builder says they are there.

The process I used is :-

I reset all menus back to default and restarted Kodi and set debug on.
Entered Amber settings / Home Layout / Customise Home Menu and Shelves
Arrowed down to Pictures then arrowed across and up to + to add new menu item
Arrowed to Choose item for menu, arrrowed down to Favorite then selected first radio station from favorites list
Changed Set Label to Radio
Arrowed down to Customise Submenu and enter
Arrowed down to Choose item for submenu
Arrow down to Favorites then select second radio station for Favorites list...  Did the same thing a few more times.
Back out of submenus noting that entries appear in upper left column
Back out of menu builder and let menus reload.
Radio menu item shows on menu bar and it loads default station when you press enter however sub menus don't show nor are they active

Here is the debug log.. I have included screen images for the menu builder and Kodi main menu.  Maybe I am doing something wrong here?

http://paste.kodi.tv/iciyahibus

Images

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aq0kPVRtunpGulsLB6Pm...y?e=4YHfIB

cheers

John
(2021-05-14, 07:13)dawsonjw Wrote: Hi Bart,
          OK I have a debug log here.  The output was the same result.  Even though I created a set of submenus they don't show on the menu even though the menu builder says they are there.

Arrowed to Choose item for menu, arrrowed down to Favorite then selected first radio station from favorites list
Arrow down to Favorites then select second radio station for Favorites list...  Did the same thing a few more times.
Radio menu item shows on menu bar and it loads default station when you press enter however sub menus don't show nor are they active

Here is the debug log.. I have included screen images for the menu builder and Kodi main menu.  Maybe I am doing something wrong here?

Images

cheers

John
@dawsonjw , the steps you mention are fine, as are the pictures.  I do not think you are doing anything wrong in the configuration.  Do you have the setting "Show Submenu only when focused" active? If fo, when you press down from your new "Radio" main menu item, do the submenu items show up?  I suppose they do not, but thought I'd ask anyway.

I do not see anything wrong in your log either.  There are some errors about Kodi not being able to load/find images initially, but those errors do not show up later in the log.  Do you have any issues with where the addon images and or skin media folder is located that might give rise to those errors?

One last thing, could you please post or PM a link to your "script-skinshortcuts-includes.xml" file? This is found in the skin's 1080i folder, and is created by script.skinshortcuts, which is responsible for the menu/submenu/shelves configuration.  Thanks.

Regards,

Bart
Amber Maintainer
Main HTPC: Intel Core i7, 32GB, nVidia GTX1080, Windows 11 Soundbar: Samsung HW-Q950A TV: LG CX Kodi: 19.3 Skin: Amber
(2021-05-14, 16:58)bsoriano Wrote:

Images

cheers

John
@dawsonjw , the steps you mention are fine, as are the pictures.  I do not think you are doing anything wrong in the configuration.  Do you have the setting "Show Submenu only when focused" active? If fo, when you press down from your new "Radio" main menu item, do the submenu items show up?  I suppose they do not, but thought I'd ask anyway.

I do not see anything wrong in your log either.  There are some errors about Kodi not being able to load/find images initially, but those errors do not show up later in the log.  Do you have any issues with where the addon images and or skin media folder is located that might give rise to those errors?

One last thing, could you please post or PM a link to your "script-skinshortcuts-includes.xml" file? This is found in the skin's 1080i folder, and is created by script.skinshortcuts, which is responsible for the menu/submenu/shelves configuration.  Thanks.

Regards,

Bart
Hi Bart,

once again thanks for looking at this for me..  In answer to your questions....

I have checked the "Show Submenu only when focused" and it is set to show the submenu. 

Not aware of any issues with art not displaying.

I have included my skin shortcuts file. 

I don't know much about how this works but the last command for item 9 <property name="hasSubmenu">False</property>  I would have thought this should be TRUE

Further testing shows that if you change the menu item to "Start Favorites" or "NOOP" (probably others too) the sub menu shows.  It is kind of like having string of parameters on the change action line or PlayMedia stuffs something up.

Here is the xml file

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aq0kPVRtunpGulwPUaw8...M?e=PlkbaO

cheers

John
(2021-05-15, 05:27)dawsonjw Wrote:
(2021-05-14, 16:58)bsoriano Wrote:

Images

cheers

John

Regards,

Bart
Hi Bart,

I have checked the "Show Submenu only when focused" and it is set to show the submenu. 

I don't know much about how this works but the last command for item 9 <property name="hasSubmenu">False</property>  I would have thought this should be TRUE

Further testing shows that if you change the menu item to "Start Favorites" or "NOOP" (probably others too) the sub menu shows.  It is kind of like having string of parameters on the change action line or PlayMedia stuffs something up.

Here is the xml file

cheers

John
@dawsonjw , I think the issue is that you are creating a menu item with the name of an existing menu item.  It looks like you have the default "Radio" menu item active (you have PVR radio, I imagine), and the new item, which is also labeled "Radio".  Unfortunately, I cannot test this theory, since my PVR provider does not have radio stations, so the default Radio menu item is never active for me.

Have you tried selecting a different label for the menu item? I do see in the file that the submenu items were correctly created.

Regards,

Bart
Amber Maintainer
(2021-05-15, 19:10)bsoriano Wrote:
(2021-05-15, 05:27)dawsonjw Wrote:
(2021-05-14, 16:58)bsoriano Wrote: @dawsonjw , the steps you mention are fine, as are the pictures.  I do not think you are doing anything wrong in the configuration.  Do you have the setting "Show Submenu only when focused" active? If fo, when you press down from your new "Radio" main menu item, do the submenu items show up?  I suppose they do not, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Regards,

Bart
Hi Bart,

Here is the xml file

cheers

John
@dawsonjw , I think the issue is that you are creating a menu item with the name of an existing menu item.  It looks like you have the default "Radio" menu item active (you have PVR radio, I imagine), and the new item, which is also labeled "Radio".  Unfortunately, I cannot test this theory, since my PVR provider does not have radio stations, so the default Radio menu item is never active for me.

Have you tried selecting a different label for the menu item? I do see in the file that the submenu items were correctly created.

Regards,

Bart
Hi Bart,
          I have double checked and I don't have the PVR radio enabled.  I renamed the menu item to "Bart" with the same result.  I have attached the xml file below plus screen shot to show menu items.
 Only one not on screen is Power item.

Oh does this xml file get created from a template as maybe it is corrupt. I have tried resetting the menus many times from within the menu builder but have noticed that only the main menus get reset not the submenus.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aq0kPVRtunpGumALA4oX...t?e=OzhNXb

cheers

John
(2021-05-16, 01:44)dawsonjw Wrote:
(2021-05-15, 19:10)bsoriano Wrote:
(2021-05-15, 05:27)dawsonjw Wrote: Hi Bart,

Here is the xml file

cheers

John

Regards,

Bart
Hi Bart,
          I have double checked and I don't have the PVR radio enabled.  I renamed the menu item to "Bart" with the same result.  I have attached the xml file below plus screen shot to show menu items.

Oh does this xml file get created from a template as maybe it is corrupt. I have tried resetting the menus many times from within the menu builder but have noticed that only the main menus get reset not the submenus.

cheers

John
@dawsonjw , the skinshortcuts addon does have an issue in that will not reset the submenus.  To ensure that you are truly starting from scratch, please do the following:

1. Quit Kodi
2. Delete the file "script-skinshortcuts-includes.xml" from the skin's 1080i folder.
3. Delete any file that has "amber" as part of the name in the folder <userdata>\addon_data\script.skinshortcuts\
4. Restart Kodi

This will provide a completely default menu/submenu/shelves configuration.

Once you have that, go ahead and configure again the menu item/submenu that you were trying to make work.  

The <userdata> folder location is different dependent on what OS you are using.  You can find where it is by looking here: https://kodi.wiki/view/Userdata

Please let me know how it goes.  Thanks.

Regards,

Bart
Amber Maintainer
(2021-05-17, 21:00)bsoriano Wrote:
(2021-05-16, 01:44)dawsonjw Wrote:
(2021-05-15, 19:10)bsoriano Wrote: @dawsonjw , I think the issue is that you are creating a menu item with the name of an existing menu item.  It looks like you have the default "Radio" menu item active (you have PVR radio, I imagine), and the new item, which is also labeled "Radio".  Unfortunately, I cannot test this theory, since my PVR provider does not have radio stations, so the default Radio menu item is never active for me.

Regards,

Bart
Hi Bart,

cheers

John
@dawsonjw , the skinshortcuts addon does have an issue in that will not reset the submenus.  To ensure that you are truly starting from scratch, please do the following:

1. Quit Kodi
2. Delete the file "script-skinshortcuts-includes.xml" from the skin's 1080i folder.
3. Delete any file that has "amber" as part of the name in the folder <userdata>\addon_data\script.skinshortcuts\
4. Restart Kodi

Once you have that, go ahead and configure again the menu item/submenu that you were trying to make work.  

The <userdata> folder location is different dependent on what OS you are using.  You can find where it is by looking here: https://kodi.wiki/view/Userdata

Regards,

Bart
Hi Bart,
          I have news.   Deleting the files as above does indeed fix the problem however you can break it again by simply moving the menu item to a new spot .  Let me explain.

Clear menus as above.
Restart Kodi and it rebuilds standard menus.
Create new menu item say "Bart" half way across the menu bar as a favorite with a radio station as the default option and then a couple radio stations as submenus and exit out.
Menu rebuilds and the radio stations are there with submenus.  Terrific.

Now if you then get back into menu builder and move Bart a few menus items across and then save it.  Menu bar shows Bart and its submenus.

However if you go back to menu builder and look at Bart the sub menus are gone yet they still display when within Kodi.

I have done this numerous times with the same result but it only seems to do it if the menu item has as default a radio statiion item, if its another type of favorite like a movie the problem doesn't show.

Very strange

cheers

John
(2021-05-18, 08:43)dawsonjw Wrote:
(2021-05-17, 21:00)bsoriano Wrote:
(2021-05-16, 01:44)dawsonjw Wrote: Hi Bart,

cheers

John

1. Quit Kodi
4. Restart Kodi

Regards,

Bart
Hi Bart,
          I have news.   Deleting the files as above does indeed fix the problem however you can break it again by simply moving the menu item to a new spot .  Let me explain.

Clear menus as above.
Restart Kodi and it rebuilds standard menus.
Create new menu item say "Bart" half way across the menu bar as a favorite with a radio station as the default option and then a couple radio stations as submenus and exit out.
Menu rebuilds and the radio stations are there with submenus.  Terrific.

Now if you then get back into menu builder and move Bart a few menus items across and then save it.  Menu bar shows Bart and its submenus.

However if you go back to menu builder and look at Bart the sub menus are gone yet they still display when within Kodi.

I have done this numerous times with the same result but it only seems to do it if the menu item has as default a radio statiion item, if its another type of favorite like a movie the problem doesn't show.

Very strange

cheers

John

@dawsonjw, thanks for continuing to test this.  I think this is an issue with the addon that handles the menu configuration.  I will try to replicate it and submit a bug report to the addon maintainer.

Regards,

Bart
Amber Maintainer
Bart
Thanks again for your help. I truly appreciate it. If I can do anything else please let me know.

Oh can you please let me know if you can replicate the problem so I know I’am not going mad.

Kind regards

John
(2021-05-18, 13:18)dawsonjw Wrote: Bart
Thanks again for your help. I truly appreciate it. If I can do anything else please let me know.

Oh can you please let me know if you can replicate the problem so I know I’am not going mad.

Kind regards

John
@dawsonjw , I was able to replicate the issue just like you mentioned.  This is certainly an issue with skinshortcuts.  I will report it.  Thanks again for your testing.

Regards,

Bart
Amber Maintainer

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Menu builder and Favorites0