• 7(current)
MECOOL Android TV Box KM6 Series w/ Amlogic S905X4 SoC
quick question  - is the box visible on your home network with access to the internal storage?
(2021-05-17, 09:07)Vlaves Wrote:
(2021-05-16, 22:24)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2021-05-16, 08:57)Vlaves Wrote: Can someone please test if the box is capable of doing proper deinterlqcing on 1080i h264 videos like live broadcasts? Thanks for the Support.

Vlaves

Using what app?  Works fine for me....... but no scientific data........  I use Emby for my live and recorded TV, 480i, 720p, 1080i and the Silicondust app for the HEVC channels, with Dolby AC-4 audio.....

If you could test it with the Live Channel App or Kodi. Are the 1080i recording h264 or MPEG2? Thanks for the support here.

I did some brief testing using the PVR app in Kodi.
 It appears that the interlaced channels have NO issue.  HOWEVER, the live streams that are 29.970 fps have lots of dropped frames, that is with the automatic frame rate switching disabled........  BUT, it appears that all of my 1080i channels are broadcast in 59.940fps, and they have not issues at all.  So, if you like watching the oldies on the sub channels, then this is not the box for you.  ONLY the 480i channels that are broadcast the the 29.970fps have issues.

The Mecool KM2 does NOT have this issue, however, it does not support AFRs.......
(2021-05-17, 16:11)literally Wrote: quick question  - is the box visible on your home network with access to the internal storage?
Not from Windows, did not try Putty or Linux.........
(2021-05-17, 16:07)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2021-05-16, 22:50)Jönke Wrote: @clarkss12 have you try the new km2 ? Full Netflix support 😀 Just want to make sure it handles alla refresh rates automatic like km6 before i buy

It does NOT have all the features that the Mecool KM6 Deluxe has.  There is NO option for automatic refresh rate switching..........  So, NO, it does not support the AFRs.

Thanks ! I will not buy then 😢
(2021-05-17, 18:48)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2021-05-17, 09:07)Vlaves Wrote:
(2021-05-16, 22:24)clarkss12 Wrote: Using what app?  Works fine for me....... but no scientific data........  I use Emby for my live and recorded TV, 480i, 720p, 1080i and the Silicondust app for the HEVC channels, with Dolby AC-4 audio.....

If you could test it with the Live Channel App or Kodi. Are the 1080i recording h264 or MPEG2? Thanks for the support here.

I did some brief testing using the PVR app in Kodi.
 It appears that the interlaced channels have NO issue.  HOWEVER, the live streams that are 29.970 fps have lots of dropped frames, that is with the automatic frame rate switching disabled........  BUT, it appears that all of my 1080i channels are broadcast in 59.940fps, and they have not issues at all.  So, if you like watching the oldies on the sub channels, then this is not the box for you.  ONLY the 480i channels that are broadcast the the 29.970fps have issues.

The Mecool KM2 does NOT have this issue, however, it does not support AFRs.......

Thanks for the Reply, this sounds to me like those channels are US based, is that correct? As I am based in Europe, the channels here are encoded in 1080i h264 at 25fps. So therefore there is a test clip in the Kodi samples WIKI linked here (Sample 1080i h264 at 25fps Video) and if you could test that, it would be great. It should playback if everything works well at 50fps and there should be no interlacing lines. 

Another question. Is it possible for Kodi to switch resolution if you set the box to be at 50Hz as a standard. I am just not sure if the box needs to be set to automatic (which would probably result in a standard 60Hz frequency) and as most content here is 25fps, setting the box at 50fps would not lead to much frequency switching apart from watching a movie at 24fps.

Hope that's not too complicated phrased what I have written in the second part of this post. Tricky to phrase it if english is not you native language Smile

(2021-05-17, 16:07)clarkss12 Wrote: ...
It does NOT have all the features that the Mecool KM6 Deluxe has.  There is NO option for automatic refresh rate switching..........  So, NO, it does not support the AFRs.

Okay, so it will not automatically adapt the refresh rate, but can at least Kodi switch the refresh rate on the KM2? I rarely watch streaming content, just at times, so more important is if Live TV as linked above is working and at least Kodi can switch refresh rate. Thanks for your support here Smile really awesome testing this for us.
""Thanks for the Reply, this sounds to me like those channels are US based, is that correct? As I am based in Europe, the channels here are encoded in 1080i h264 at 25fps. So therefore there is a test clip in the Kodi samples WIKI linked here (Sample 1080i h264 at 25fps Video) and if you could test that, it would be great. It should playback if everything works well at 50fps and there should be no interlacing lines. 

Another question. Is it possible for Kodi to switch resolution if you set the box to be at 50Hz as a standard. I am just not sure if the box needs to be set to automatic (which would probably result in a standard 60Hz frequency) and as most content here is 25fps, setting the box at 50fps would not lead to much frequency switching apart from watching a movie at 24fps.

Hope that's not too complicated phrased what I have written in the second part of this post. Tricky to phrase it if english is not you native language "

I ran that video clip using Kodi, with the "HDMI self-adaptation" turned "off" your file play without any dropped frames BUT LOTS of skipped frames.......  With the "HDMI self-adaptation" set to "total mode", the Mecool KM6 switched to 25fps as shown from my TV stats (see photo), and played perfectly.

https://imgur.com/x624s7v
https://imgur.com/8LCHqWW
https://imgur.com/t9WXucl

Here is the "Mediainfo" information about your test clip, notice the information about framerate.
Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : Baseline
Format level                             : 4.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : No
Format settings, Reference frames        : 3 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration                                 : 1 min 0 s
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 14.0 Mb/s
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Variable
Frame rate                               : 50.000 FPS
Original frame rate                      : 25.000 FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Scan order                               : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.135
Stream size                              : 100 MiB (98%)
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709
(2021-05-18, 16:28)clarkss12 Wrote: ""Thanks for the Reply, this sounds to me like those channels are US based, is that correct? As I am based in Europe, the channels here are encoded in 1080i h264 at 25fps. So therefore there is a test clip in the Kodi samples WIKI linked here (Sample 1080i h264 at 25fps Video) and if you could test that, it would be great. It should playback if everything works well at 50fps and there should be no interlacing lines. 

Hope that's not too complicated phrased what I have written in the second part of this post. Tricky to phrase it if english is not you native language "

I ran that video clip using Kodi, with the "HDMI self-adaptation" turned "off" your file play without any dropped frames BUT LOTS of skipped frames.......  With the "HDMI self-adaptation" set to "total mode", the Mecool KM6 switched to 25fps as shown from my TV stats (see photo), and played perfectly.

https://imgur.com/x624s7v
https://imgur.com/8LCHqWW
https://imgur.com/t9WXucl

Here is the "Mediainfo" information about your test clip, notice the information about framerate.
Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : Baseline
Format level                             : 4.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : No
Format settings, Reference frames        : 3 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration                                 : 1 min 0 s
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 14.0 Mb/s
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Variable
Frame rate                               : 50.000 FPS
Original frame rate                      : 25.000 FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Scan order                               : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.135
Stream size                              : 100 MiB (98%)
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

I just tested my Mecool KM2 that does NOT have any frame rate switching, and the video clip played without any dropped or skipped frames.  My TV stats showed 60fps, so I am not sure what this video clip proves......
(2021-05-18, 16:47)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2021-05-18, 16:28)clarkss12 Wrote:

I just tested my Mecool KM2 that does NOT have any frame rate switching, and the video clip played without any dropped or skipped frames.  My TV stats showed 60fps, so I am not sure what this video clip proves......

Thanks so much for testing.
Not really sure. Is Kodi able to switch to resolution on the KM2 by itself at all without the box self adopting?
(2021-02-04, 05:20)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2021-01-16, 02:05)hdmkv Wrote: The Verizon box does have Netflix 4K I believe.

@clarkss12, I asked this of the YT'er on KM6 Deluxe and haven't gotten a reply. Look forward to you informing us Smile
Quote:Is HLG HDR supported from YouTube? Does your TV indicate HLG? Also for local media, Prime Video and Disney+, is 23.976 supported, or does content play at 60? Finally, is ATMOS supported for local media; what about DTS-HD MA?
Received my KM6 Deluxe today and been doing some testing.  Very positive news........  Disney+ DOES automatically switch frame rate to 24hz with HDR 10.  The switching is very fast, in that the screen only flickers very briefly, while switching frame rates.  The setting for frame rate switching is called HDMI self-adaptation.  I can't test Dolby Vision because my Visio P65Q9-H1 doesn't show it, even though it is supposed to support it.  The picture quality is  fantastic, compared to my 4.5 year old sammy that I replaced.

This box still does NOT passthrough the HD audio codecs, nor does it play VC-1 files natively.
One biggie that I was hoping for was the ability to play Vudu (Google Play Movies) in UHD, but alas, it only plays my purchased UHD movies in HD..  

I really don't know who this device is made for, since it does not support Netflix natively, that rules out most of the media consumers........  Since it does NOT passthrough the HD audio codecs, it eliminates the cinema buffs..........

I just buy them to see what they can do.........  I already have the KM 1, which just one version behind this one........  I also have the KM8 in a drawer someplace.......

Overall, I am very pleased with it, but have no idea who in my family I could recommend it to... I don't even know anyone in my family that I can give all my retired boxes to.....Guess I am too far out in left field.....  The crazy uncle......

Hi please tell me if this passthrought DD 5.1 and DTS via optical cable to amplifier. I saw you wrote it does not HD audio, but what about  DD 5.1 and DTS?  I dives me crazy there is absolutly nothing about anywhere! How would I use it with my home theatre set up without DD 5.1 and DTS? It would be nonsense. Thanks!
(2021-05-24, 13:15)snefftamas Wrote:
(2021-02-04, 05:20)clarkss12 Wrote:  

Hi please tell me if this passthrought DD 5.1 and DTS via optical cable to amplifier. I saw you wrote it does not HD audio, but what about  DD 5.1 and DTS?  I dives me crazy there is absolutly nothing about anywhere! How would I use it with my home theatre set up without DD 5.1 and DTS? It would be nonsense. Thanks!

The short answer is sort of.  I have an older HT receiver that supports DD5.1 (ac3) through optical and coax in.  In Kodi I can enable pass-through and ac3 transcoding so 5.1 content works fine, I get full fat dolby digital and it sounds the way it should.  DTS should work as well but I can't confirm because my receiver doesn't support it.  
Streaming services like Netflix and Prime running through Android TV however are a bit sketchy.  AFAIK they (streaming services) only support eAC3 not AC3 and (i've read) that optical cables don't meet the bandwidth requirement, HDMI is required to pass the audio data correctly.  eAC3 is supposed to contain legacy support for the older standard BUT that would have to be supported by the OS or streaming app as it is in Kodi.  If a receiver has HDMI in then it should decode and play properly I think, maybe, possibly.  There are so many digital audio codecs that I think it's pretty much a crap-shoot unless you have a newer AV Receiver with specific support for all the codecs from Dolby Surround to Atmos and everything in between.  In my case my receiver is obsolete and in desperate need on an upgrade.  RIP Yamaha RX-V595, you served me well.
Mecool km6 audio guide..
On kodi select 7.1 passtrough you will get dolby digital plus (atmos) Dolby 5.1 Dts 5.1 Dolby HD will be convert to PCM  7.1 ..

On VLC select passtrough enable and you will gel DTS 5.1 DTS 7.1 HD MA and DTS X MA..

MX player can play any AV1 file..
I think i have drop frames issue , i am connected on LG TV UHD 2019, watching ip tv , the same list watching straight o TV , has no problem, also on my phone. Only with km6 has these dropped frames.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOn...llwcv9ceQ5
@jimakos75

Your image is locked. Use the following method...

Button 14 or 19 to upload images
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7BiGWEEyDNWAtgss7
(2021-05-25, 01:46)spadafora Wrote: Mecool km6 audio guide..
On kodi select 7.1 passtrough you will get dolby digital plus (atmos) Dolby 5.1 Dts 5.1 Dolby HD will be convert to PCM  7.1 ..

On VLC select passtrough enable and you will gel DTS 5.1 DTS 7.1 HD MA and DTS X MA..

MX player can play any AV1 file..

Any thoughts why MX Player will play AV1 files using hardware decode when Kodi doesn't? I purchased this specifically to test AV1 playback and getting Kodi to use HW would complete my setup.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MECOOL Android TV Box KM6 Series w/ Amlogic S905X4 SoC0