Best network protocol for KODI to externally access a Synology NAS
The IP address shown should be the public IP address of whatever is supporting your network. If it's the home network then it will be your home router, if it's the cellphone then it will be the cellphone's IP address on the ad-hoc network it sets up as a hotspot.

So when you're at home, all the devices that are on your home network should show the public address of your home router.

When you're at the cabin then it should show the public IP address of the cabin's router (or whatever is providing the network there).

But when you connect from outside your home back to it via the VPN then you're essentially connecting your PC to your home network (if everything works properly), so the IP address shown should change from the IP address of whatever is providing the original network to the IP address of your home router, as your connection to the internet is now being routed via the VPN tunnel to your VPN server, and from that onto your home network and out to the internet through your home router.

As I'm here I'll have a quick clean-up of the thread, and also move it to off-topic as this is becoming a VPN tutorial rather than anything Kodi related.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2020-06-16, 08:39)cgroth Wrote:
(2020-06-14, 10:15)DarrenHill Wrote: Didn't we already have this discussion?

If WebDAV isn't working well for you, the other recommendation here would be to connect your cabin PC back to your Synology via a VPN and you can then use it as if it was connected directly onto your home network. The Synology can host an OpenVPN server (via VPN server package from the package centre), and you can grab an OpenVPN client from the internet.

Setting that up is outside what we support here (as it's all done entirely outside of Kodi), but it will do what you want as you can then use SMB or NFS like normal, as your cabin PC will effectively become part of the local network in the same way that your devices at home are.

Any other route will end up as either complicated, potentially very insecure or in the worst case both.

Hi Darren,

yes we did have this conversation, but although the VPN solution you outlined sounds perfect I wasn't able to make it work, I am simply not at that level of technological sophistication. It seems I will need to install some additional software (I believe that is what you refer to as "an OpenVPN client". I tried googling OpenVPN but when trying to access the search results my browser told me the connection was insecure and refused to connect. But since WebDAV doesn't seem to work I might have to revisit, although I much would prefer a solution that wouldn't require any additional software other than what's on the Synology and built into KODI.
If you want to safe your time to install additional software and don't have enough technical knowledge. Then you should use a vpn service provider. For this, you do not need a sufficient technical knowledge, just click and and use as you want. * URL REMOVED BY MODERATOR *
@calvinsteel This forum is not a platform for advertising VPN software. We have a VPN policy (wiki), I suggest you read it.

And apparently this is your second warning... One more to go!
(2021-05-18, 12:59)Klojum Wrote: @calvinsteel This forum is not a platform for advertising VPN software. We have a VPN policy (wiki), I suggest you read it.

And apparently this is your second warning... One more to go!

Sorry for that. It will not happen again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best network protocol for KODI to externally access a Synology NAS0