• 58(current)
Linux ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel
(2019-08-20, 05:15)wrxtasy Wrote: It gets even smoother and snappier if you disable Kodi's Dirty Regions by using advancedsettings.xml

Kodi's Dirty Regions - ARM GPU Tech - improving Kodi rendering performance (click)

DR really is redundant on modern ARM GPU's that also have proper chipset cooling.

Then there is also the CPU Mhz Freq to tickle in config.ini file (remove the #):

Code:
max_freq_a73='2004'
max_freq_a53='1992'

W.

Disabling dirty regions on my N2+ makes one of my CPU cores run at 45-50% while idle, with some percentage jumps on other cores. Obviously it's even worse if there's a video playing in the background.

With dirty regions at default settings (no advancedsettings.xml), total cpu usage across all cores is 15% or less when idle.

Any idea what the problem could be, or is the dirty regions trick just not recommended for the N2+?
Hello,

I'm still trying to decide with what to replace my htpc and I'm stuck between reading and comparing odroid n2+ with nvidia shield pro. Mainly because when checking current prices for the board (local reseller) and the shield, its not that much of a difference. I can order a bare odroid setup (board, 16GB emmc, emmc reader, psu and cover) for about 730 pln while the shield const 950 pln. At this moment (this will hopefully change in the nearest future) I have a crappy internet connection, so I'm not interested in streaming or cloud gaming which nvidia offers. Any advice, what would be a better choice considering that both of those setups are not exactly super cheap. What would be considered to be the money best spent?
(2021-08-13, 15:49)ebol Wrote: Hello,

I'm still trying to decide with what to replace my htpc and I'm stuck between reading and comparing odroid n2+ with nvidia shield pro. Mainly because when checking current prices for the board (local reseller) and the shield, its not that much of a difference. I can order a bare odroid setup (board, 16GB emmc, emmc reader, psu and cover) for about 730 pln while the shield const 950 pln. At this moment (this will hopefully change in the nearest future) I have a crappy internet connection, so I'm not interested in streaming or cloud gaming which nvidia offers. Any advice, what would be a better choice considering that both of those setups are not exactly super cheap. What would be considered to be the money best spent?

What sources are you playing?  Do you need UHD/4K?  Do you need HDR replay, or HDR->SDR conversion, or are you just playing SDR content?  Will you need DRM-ed streaming in the future (Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Apple TV+ etc.)?

Vero 4k might suit you.
is odroid n2+ still the recommended device to get over any new devices that are out there?

From what I been reading these android devices still got some issue with audio - atmos dropout..
How big of an issue is this for most people?

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=332180
WARNING ! - All hardware running Kodi will have issues with Atmos audio dropouts with high bitrate Atmos Disney (click) & Atmos audio (click) Bluray Rips - the exception is Android platforms like the Nvidia Shield (probably the 2016 Mi Box too) that has a fix in the Android OS - ExoPlayer (click) - AND on those platforms you have to use Plex (click) for playback.

Is apple 4k 2021 still the best media player for 4k HEVC 10 bit HDR
without any sort of issues e.g. atmos dropout or whatever issues..

The big downside is you can't install Kodi on apple TV 4k 2021 unless there is a jailbreak for it.
(2021-08-14, 12:49)madmax2 Wrote: is odroid n2+ still the recommended device to get over any new devices that are out there?

From what I been reading these android devices still got some issue with audio - atmos dropout..
How big of an issue is this for most people?

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=332180
WARNING ! - All hardware running Kodi will have issues with Atmos audio dropouts with high bitrate Atmos Disney (click) & Atmos audio (click) Bluray Rips - the exception is Android platforms like the Nvidia Shield (probably the 2016 Mi Box too) that has a fix in the Android OS - ExoPlayer (click) - AND on those platforms you have to use Plex (click) for playback.

Is apple 4k 2021 still the best media player for 4k HEVC 10 bit HDR
without any sort of issues e.g. atmos dropout or whatever issues..

The big downside is you can't install Kodi on apple TV 4k 2021 unless there is a jailbreak for it.

Apple TV 4K won't do Dolby True HD + Atmos - it only does Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos.  The ATV 4K has no option for HD Audio passthrough/bitstream - just decode to LPCM 5.1/7.1 (lossless for 48k/24 content but no metadata is sent to your AVR). It is definitely the best player I've found for DRM streaming services though - proper frame rate switching with both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos (i.e. DD+ with Atmos) support for Netflix, Prime, Disney+ and Apple TV+.  MrMC does a reasonable job for my local media playback (that I would use Kodi for on other platforms)

CoreElec on AMLogic S905X3 and S922X platforms like the ODroid C4 and N2 (I don't have an N2+) is good for pure Kodi stuff.

The Shield TV kind of does both - but it's DRM performance isn't as good (no dynamic frame rate switching on DRM services - just a kludgey workaround) as the ATV 4K.

(I have all four - my ATV4K v2 is my daily driver for Netflix/Prime/Disney+/ATV+, my C4 is currently in use a lot for Kodi replay of local media and Live/Recorded TV from TV Headend)
I must say I totally agree with @noggin. I use my N2 (not N2+) as a Kodi player for 4K/HDR rips. I don't have ATV, but I have a Sony Bravia that I am using for Netflix/HBO and other streaming platforms.
Gadget enthusiast
Kodi player on an oDroid N2 4 GB with latest stable CoreElec
Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005
(2021-08-13, 16:43)noggin Wrote:

What sources are you playing?  Do you need UHD/4K?  Do you need HDR replay, or HDR->SDR conversion, or are you just playing SDR content?  Will you need DRM-ed streaming in the future (Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Apple TV+ etc.)?
I'm looking for hardware that is capable of playing content up to UHD/4K HEVC 10bit with HDR. I don't need HDR conversion, just to be able to correctly play HDR and SDR sources. As far as streaming goes, I can just use my LG TV for that.
(2021-08-17, 09:07)ebol Wrote:
(2021-08-13, 16:43)noggin Wrote:

I'm looking for hardware that is capable of playing content up to UHD/4K HEVC 10bit with HDR. I don't need HDR conversion, just to be able to correctly play HDR and SDR sources. As far as streaming goes, I can just use my LG TV for that.

The Shield TV is a nice 'finished' product and has a nice bluetooth remote.   The N2+ is a bit more DIY.  Both will play back SDR, HD and UHD content (including HDR10 HEVC) - though some question the Shield's performance.  The N2 has a built in IR receiver, so you can use a redundant remote control (I use a Virgin Media Tivo IR remote for mine and it works well - though you do have to get your hands dirty to configure the IR remote control codes).

If you are reasonable comfortable with tools like SSH/Putty and are OK with a slightly DIY look to your player - then the N2+ would be my choice.  If you are not that technical, and the thought of doing stuff on a command line makes you feel nervous, then the Shield TV will also do what you want and is a more 'finished' product.

Also worth considering the ODroid C4 - it has a less powerful CPU - but is pretty identical in terms of hardware accelerated video playback.  The N2+ will feel snappier with a large library I suspect - but if money is an issue - the C4 is a pretty good choice too IMO.
(2021-08-17, 09:51)noggin Wrote:
(2021-08-17, 09:07)ebol Wrote:
(2021-08-13, 16:43)noggin Wrote: What sources are you playing?  Do you need UHD/4K?  Do you need HDR replay, or HDR->SDR conversion, or are you just playing SDR content?  Will you need DRM-ed streaming in the future (Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Apple TV+ etc.)?

The Shield TV is a nice 'finished' product and has a nice bluetooth remote.   The N2+ is a bit more DIY.  Both will play back SDR, HD and UHD content (including HDR10 HEVC) - though some question the Shield's performance.  The N2 has a built in IR receiver, so you can use a redundant remote control (I use a Virgin Media Tivo IR remote for mine and it works well - though you do have to get your hands dirty to configure the IR remote control codes).

If you are reasonable comfortable with tools like SSH/Putty and are OK with a slightly DIY look to your player - then the N2+ would be my choice.  If you are not that technical, and the thought of doing stuff on a command line makes you feel nervous, then the Shield TV will also do what you want and is a more 'finished' product.

Also worth considering the ODroid C4 - it has a less powerful CPU - but is pretty identical in terms of hardware accelerated video playback.  The N2+ will feel snappier with a large library I suspect - but if money is an issue - the C4 is a pretty good choice too IMO.

Thank you @noggin! The technical/DIY part is not a problem for me, I could even say that might be fun. Also thank you for suggesting ODroid C4, I'll look into that and compare the prices.
(2021-08-17, 15:04)ebol Wrote:
(2021-08-17, 09:51)noggin Wrote:
(2021-08-17, 09:07)ebol Wrote: I'm looking for hardware that is capable of playing content up to UHD/4K HEVC 10bit with HDR. I don't need HDR conversion, just to be able to correctly play HDR and SDR sources. As far as streaming goes, I can just use my LG TV for that.

Thank you @noggin! The technical/DIY part is not a problem for me, I could even say that might be fun. Also thank you for suggesting ODroid C4, I'll look into that and compare the prices.

Should also add that another option is the Vero 4K+ - An AMLogic box that runs OSMC (@Sam.Nazarko's own distribution with some kernel/driver optimisations) rather than CoreElec.  It's a fully formed product complete with remote control - and recently had a major update in firmware/software that added lots of functionality (including 3DMVC - pretty much a first outside the Raspberry Pi 3B+ and below and Intel platforms)
I don't even need to use a separate remote because of the perfect integration with my TV via HDMI CEC. As soon as I switch to N2 CoreElec I can use my remote to control everything. The only BIG thing I am missing is the long press for the menu on any item in Kodi. If I long press the OK button on my Sony Bravia remote it will just repeat the same action, not recognize the long press.
Gadget enthusiast
Kodi player on an oDroid N2 4 GB with latest stable CoreElec
Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005
Just hooked up my first N2+2g with 16gig emmc and coreelec. For some background I have been around since the xbmc days on my old amd builds. Used openelec, libreelec coreelec with htpc rpi2 rpi3 rpi4 C2 rockbox and now the N2+. The N2+ with coreelec is the most responsive and fastest player i have used with my 1k+ library. It plays everything I throw at it and has yet to reach over 100F even when scraping my library with stock heat sink and no fan. Wish I would have upgraded sooner. Love that I get true HD audio pass though to my avr. Jm2c
(2021-08-20, 16:57)tmihai20 Wrote: I don't even need to use a separate remote because of the perfect integration with my TV via HDMI CEC. As soon as I switch to N2 CoreElec I can use my remote to control everything. The only BIG thing I am missing is the long press for the menu on any item in Kodi. If I long press the OK button on my Sony Bravia remote it will just repeat the same action, not recognize the long press.

You can use the Keymap Editor in Kodi to fix this (that's what I did) : you can specify whatever button you want on your TV remote to act as the long press action.
Just chose a spare button which isn't already used in the Kodi interface.
My advice : plug in a mouse just in case, especially if you don't have another remote. If you mess up, you can end up with a broken interface (ie. not being able to go back in the menus).
It happened to me once, I had to reinstall Kodi Big Grin
Hello there,

I've been out of the community for a while now. Using Kodi since version 9. Yup over 10 years old. 
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT I'M ONLY CONCERN TO PLAY LOCAL CONTENT ONLY/MAINLY.

I had an Intel Nuc i3-4010 with Windows. Been running from this for over 6-7 years, really happy but not powerful enough for today's content (4k, HDR, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos...)
I've looked into the Nvidia shield Pro and decided to buy it. I can't say I don't like it but it's not perfect as I wished. 

I don't mind getting a new Intel NUC, or anything else, to be up to date with the best box for KODI. I did not read the 58 pages here. So it's possible my question has been answered already. 

What is the best setup box for kodi that will play 4k, HDR, Dolby Vision and Atmos, no matter how much. I'm open using a linux box or anything else. I jsut want the best solution for my local media.
By the way, don't know if this changes soemthing but I have all my media on a Synology NAS. Over 60TB. 

Thanks for the help.
  • 58(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel4