PVRclients: NextPVR client needs a restart
I have NextPVR running on the same Win10 machine as Kodi 19.1 and I frequently have a pop-up saying "PVR CLIENTS: NEXTPVR CLIENT NEEDS TO RESTART" when the PC is woken from sleep. When I click OK to clear the message it will either load the NextPVR client fine or crash Kodi back to the desktop. When I load Kodi back up it will load the client without issue. NextPVR is otherwise working perfectly with Kodi.

This is what is in kodi.log

2021-09-13 08:39:41.084 T:8376     INFO <general>: Removed stale radio channel 'SBS Arabic24' from group 'All channels'
2021-09-13 08:39:41.084 T:8376     INFO <general>: Removed stale radio channel 'SBS PopDesi' from group 'All channels'
2021-09-13 08:39:41.084 T:8376     INFO <general>: Removed stale radio channel 'SBS Chill' from group 'All channels'
2021-09-13 08:39:41.084 T:8376     INFO <general>: Removed stale radio channel 'SBS PopAsia' from group 'All channels'
2021-09-13 08:39:41.132 T:8376    ERROR <general>: GetTimers: Add-on 'NextPVR:127.0.0.1' returned an error: server error
2021-09-13 08:39:41.132 T:8376    ERROR <general>: PVR::CPVRClients::GetTimers: PVR client 'NextPVR:127.0.0.1' returned an error: server error
2021-09-13 08:39:41.132 T:8376    ERROR <general>: GetRecordings: Add-on 'NextPVR:127.0.0.1' returned an error: server error
2021-09-13 08:39:41.132 T:8376    ERROR <general>: PVR::CPVRClients::GetRecordings: PVR client 'NextPVR:127.0.0.1' returned an error: server error
2021-09-13 08:39:41.133 T:8376     INFO <general>: PVR Manager: Started
2021-09-13 08:39:41.134 T:8376    ERROR <general>: GetRecordings: Add-on 'NextPVR:127.0.0.1' returned an error: server error
2021-09-13 08:39:41.134 T:8376    ERROR <general>: PVR::CPVRClients::GetRecordings: PVR client 'NextPVR:127.0.0.1' returned an error: server error
2021-09-13 08:39:41.134 T:8376    ERROR <general>: GetTimers: Add-on 'NextPVR:127.0.0.1' returned an error: server error
2021-09-13 08:39:41.134 T:8376    ERROR <general>: PVR::CPVRClients::GetTimers: PVR client 'NextPVR:127.0.0.1' returned an error: server error

I'm guessing that Kodi is trying to access NextPVR via the addon before NextPVR is ready after the PC is resumed. Is there any workaround for this?
(2021-09-14, 15:19)sPurf Wrote: This is what is in kodi.log

No, there is much more in the a kodi.log file.

We always prefer two things:
- a full uncut/unedited & debug enabled kodi log file
- the log file present via a pastebin website.
(2021-09-14, 15:28)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-09-14, 15:19)sPurf Wrote: This is what is in kodi.log

No, there is much more in the a kodi.log file.

We always prefer two things:
- a full uncut/unedited & debug enabled kodi log file
- the log file present via a pastebin website.

No worries, I thought I'd just post the relevant part of the log to see if anyone has seen this behaviour before. It's an intermittent fault so will post a debug log when it occurs again.
Typically that ADDON_STATUS_NEED_RESTART message show only come after settings change, so I would like to figure out how that could be happening after sleep.  You first posted "frequently" so remember to enable debug level logging now, before the error occurs.

Do it via advancedsetting and there won't be any GUI impact.

Martin
(2021-09-14, 16:14)sPurf Wrote: I thought I'd just post the relevant part of the log

Errors can start at any point in the Kodi session, hardware details and installed add-ons could matter, stuff like that.
(2021-09-14, 16:55)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-09-14, 16:14)sPurf Wrote: I thought I'd just post the relevant part of the log

Errors can start at any point in the Kodi session, hardware details and installed add-ons could matter, stuff like that.

Here is the log from when I got this error after waking the PC. This time it resulted in Kodi crashing to the desktop. I've had to split the log into two parts due to its length as it's full of DirectSound errors due to the TV being off at the time and not having an active HDMI connection.

Part 1​

Part 2

Thanks 🙂
Thanks, but first here is a log without thread 4476 and 3676 which make it pretty hard to follow .  Someone who know more about core Kodi will probably need to look at them

https://paste.kodi.tv/tirupofape.kodi

I will continue to look but I can't really explain what is going on.  It would be helpful if you could fix those h/w errors that have nothing to do with PVR, they could be the cause of the crash. 

Also my experience with Kodi running with sleep is mixed.  Kodi regularly crashes for me unrelated to PVR if it tries to resume on a different monitor and there are similar issues report on github.

Martin
(2021-09-16, 15:11)emveepee Wrote: I will continue to look but I can't really explain what is going on.  It would be helpful if you could fix those h/w errors that have nothing to do with PVR, they could be the cause of the crash.

Thanks Martin. Here is another log without all those H/W errors - I reenabled an alternative audio output device for Kodi to use when the TV is off. Same crash back to the desktop as before.

ekasopugoj.kodi (paste)

The only extra thing that I can think of is that I have OpenVPN GUI reestablishing a connection from wake at the same time. I'm not sure why this would interfere with a local service but I'm not an expert on these things either.
ERROR <general>: PVR::CPVRClients::ConnectionStateChange: Unknown connection state

Add-on seems to send an unknown value for its connection state. Not sure this is causing the crash, but definitely needs fixing.
@sPurf  could you please upload the contents of C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\addon_data\pvr.nextpvr\settings.xml   You can edit host, host_mac and pin if you'd like.   I believe something in this file is causing the toast message that the addon needs to be loaded

@ksooo thanks for looking I will have create an issue on github https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.nextpvr/issues/181  I can't duplicate a crash in my testing. 

I am thinking the issue is I could be reconnecting after the sleep request, when the timing is right, and then when I tell core that the system is connected core requests a full update.  If you look in his debug log the re-login starting here 2021-09-15 23:24:17.465  with thread 7804 doing the full update before it sleeps.

Martin
(2021-09-17, 14:41)emveepee Wrote: @sPurf  could you please upload the contents of C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\addon_data\pvr.nextpvr\settings.xml   You can edit host, host_mac and pin if you'd like.   I believe something in this file is causing the toast message that the addon needs to be loaded
Thanks Martin

<settings version="2">
    <setting id="legacy" default="true">false</setting>
    <setting id="host" default="true">127.0.0.1</setting>
    <setting id="port" default="true">8866</setting>
    <setting id="pin" default="true">0000</setting>
    <setting id="hostprotocol" default="true">http</setting>
    <setting id="wolenable" default="true">false</setting>
    <setting id="woltimeout" default="true">20</setting>
    <setting id="host_mac">##:##:##:##:##:##</setting>
    <setting id="uselivestreams" default="true">false</setting>
    <setting id="livestreamingmethod" default="true">2</setting>
    <setting id="prebuffer" default="true">8</setting>
    <setting id="livestreamingmethod5">0</setting>
    <setting id="resolution" default="true">720</setting>
    <setting id="prebuffer5" default="true">1</setting>
    <setting id="ffmpegdirect" default="true">false</setting>
    <setting id="chunklivetv" default="true">64</setting>
    <setting id="chunkrecording" default="true">32</setting>
    <setting id="showradio" default="true">true</setting>
    <setting id="remoteaccess" default="true">false</setting>
    <setting id="guideartwork" default="true">false</setting>
    <setting id="guideartworkportrait" default="true">false</setting>
    <setting id="castcrew" default="true">false</setting>
    <setting id="kodilook" default="true">false</setting>
    <setting id="flattenrecording" default="true">false</setting>
    <setting id="ignorepadding" default="true">true</setting>
    <setting id="separateseasons" default="true">false</setting>
    <setting id="recordingsize" default="true">false</setting>
    <setting id="diskspace" default="true">Default</setting>
    <setting id="genrestring" default="true">false</setting>
    <setting id="backendresume" default="true">true</setting>
    <setting id="usetimeshift" default="true">false</setting>
</settings>
@sPurf Could you enable debug logging and run with the 64 bit test build of what will be 19.0.1 from  https://jenkins.kodi.tv/blue/organizatio.../artifacts  so I can see any new log behaviour.

To install I suggest stopping Kodi renaming C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\pvr.nextpvr\pvr.nextpvr.dll to something else and replacing it with the 64 bit dll from the zip  This way when the next version comes out it will get updated automatically.

Thanks.

Martin
(2021-09-18, 19:11)emveepee Wrote: @sPurf Could you enable debug logging and run with the 64 bit test build of what will be 19.0.1 from  https://jenkins.kodi.tv/blue/organizatio.../artifacts  so I can see any new log behaviour.

To install I suggest stopping Kodi renaming C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\pvr.nextpvr\pvr.nextpvr.dll to something else and replacing it with the 64 bit dll from the zip  This way when the next version comes out it will get updated automatically.

Thanks.

Martin

Thanks Martin

ohaqebemaj.kodi (paste)
Sorry I forgot to mention that I wanted you to test sleep and wake.

Martin
(2021-09-19, 13:39)emveepee Wrote: Sorry I forgot to mention that I wanted you to test sleep and wake.

Martin

My bad 😀

I got the pop-up in this one but when I clicked OK it didn't crash to the desktop and then NextPVR loaded fine.

oxofafoxuv.kodi (paste)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PVRclients: NextPVR client needs a restart0