• 8(current)
MECOOL Android TV Box KM6 Series w/ Amlogic S905X4 SoC
(2021-05-29, 19:03)Chambers Wrote:
(2021-05-25, 01:46)spadafora Wrote:  

Any thoughts why MX Player will play AV1 files using hardware decode when Kodi doesn't? I purchased this specifically to test AV1 playback and getting Kodi to use HW would complete my setup.
Kodi 19 includes software decoding for AV1.  https://www.cnx-software.com/2021/02/20/...s-support/
Right, so the kodi player isn't smart enough to know when hardware decoding is available and use that? Seems like MX Player does it that way.

(2021-05-30, 19:28)Smuttychef Wrote:
(2021-05-29, 19:03)Chambers Wrote:
(2021-05-25, 01:46)spadafora Wrote:  

Any thoughts why MX Player will play AV1 files using hardware decode when Kodi doesn't? I purchased this specifically to test AV1 playback and getting Kodi to use HW would complete my setup.
Kodi 19 includes software decoding for AV1.  https://www.cnx-software.com/2021/02/20/...s-support/
(2021-05-30, 19:56)Chambers Wrote: Right, so the kodi player isn't smart enough to know when hardware decoding is available and use that? Seems like MX Player does it that way.
(2021-05-30, 19:28)Smuttychef Wrote:
(2021-05-29, 19:03)Chambers Wrote: Any thoughts why MX Player will play AV1 files using hardware decode when Kodi doesn't? I purchased this specifically to test AV1 playback and getting Kodi to use HW would complete my setup.

Not quite.  AIUI MX Player often signs NDAs to allow them to bypass the standard Android APIs that Kodi uses for playback, and instead access hardware decode directly via private, vendor-specific, APIs. This breaks the open source licensing for Kodi - so isn't an avenue that is of interest to Kodi devs.

It may well be that the Mecool hardware acceleration isn't fully available via standard Android APIs yet, or that the acceleration in question isn't advertised correctly via them.

Of course this may not be relevant in this case - and it may just be that AV1 is still such a niche requirement that Kodi Android devs (of which there aren't that many AIUI) haven't extended standard API support for AV1 decode yet? (Not a case of the player not being smart enough - just a case that there aren't enough smart people interested or with enough spare time to give for free to implement it? )
(2021-06-01, 09:47)noggin Wrote:
(2021-05-30, 19:56)Chambers Wrote: Right, so the kodi player isn't smart enough to know when hardware decoding is available and use that? Seems like MX Player does it that way.
(2021-05-30, 19:28)Smuttychef Wrote: Kodi 19 includes software decoding for AV1.  https://www.cnx-software.com/2021/02/20/...s-support/

Not quite.  AIUI MX Player often signs NDAs to allow them to bypass the standard Android APIs that Kodi uses for playback, and instead access hardware decode directly via private, vendor-specific, APIs. This breaks the open source licensing for Kodi - so isn't an avenue that is of interest to Kodi devs.

It may well be that the Mecool hardware acceleration isn't fully available via standard Android APIs yet, or that the acceleration in question isn't advertised correctly via them.

Of course this may not be relevant in this case - and it may just be that AV1 is still such a niche requirement that Kodi Android devs (of which there aren't that many AIUI) haven't extended standard API support for AV1 decode yet? (Not a case of the player not being smart enough - just a case that there aren't enough smart people interested or with enough spare time to give for free to implement it? )

Thank you very much for responding with such a great explanation. Sure gives me more insights in why it's not using hardware for playback, I appreciate it.
Just picked up a Mecool KM2 and whilst I'm really impressed with it, I can't for the life of me get audio passthrough to work on Kodi (or any other player VLC included). I've tried my old HDMI to TV, TV optical out to AVR trick (which even worked on the Libreelec Raspberry pi kodi but its no go here) and also plugged the KM2 direct from its SPDIF to the AVR and it works exactly the same (PCM audio only), I can only get any sound at all if pass-through is disabled in all player software. 

The sound works via spdif but is always in PCM mode on my receiver, if I set it to pass-through I get nothing when 5.1 or DTS streams are playing.

It appears there is a "advanced audio" option missing in the android tv settings to select which output you want to use, so it defaults to PCM regardless.

I've raised the issue with Mecool, so wish me luck in getting a response!
(2021-07-20, 21:16)BUGGERLUGZ Wrote: The sound works via spdif but is always in PCM mode on my receiver, if I set it to pass-through I get nothing when 5.1 or DTS streams are playing.
Set the GUI to Expert and enabled AC3 Transcoding under Passthrough, that should solve your issue. Anything like DTS will simply be transcoded.
(2021-07-20, 21:46)FXB78 Wrote:
(2021-07-20, 21:16)BUGGERLUGZ Wrote: The sound works via spdif but is always in PCM mode on my receiver, if I set it to pass-through I get nothing when 5.1 or DTS streams are playing.
Set the GUI to Expert and enabled AC3 Transcoding under Passthrough, that should solve your issue. Anything like DTS will simply be transcoded.
Enable AC3 transcoding isn't available of Android Kodi matrix under the pass-through option.
(2021-07-21, 13:33)BUGGERLUGZ Wrote:
(2021-07-20, 21:46)FXB78 Wrote:
Enable AC3 transcoding isn't available of Android Kodi matrix under the pass-through option.
Are you set to 2.0 output?  The AC3 transcoding option only appears when your speaker/audio channel output is set to 2.0 (which is all that SPDIF can handle). This doesn't mean you won't get 5.1 audio via AC3 and Transcoded to AC3 - that continues to work fine.
(2021-05-14, 04:00)yrgodfather Wrote: I have a had MECOOL KM6 Deluxe for few months now and really liking it for reaons in comparison to MI Box S which I had been using for few years now -

1. Navigation is much fatser because of 4GB RAM instead 2GB (MI Box S)
2. Remote is smoother than MI Box S BT remote
3. I have 900/400MBPS Internet plan and get 900MBPS speed over its LAN Adopter and around 300--400MBPS on 5G Wifi (Channel 36), I never could get more than 150MBPS Speed on MI Box S 5G Wifi, no LAN unfortunetly on MI BOX S whatsoever

I have few concerns and need your help on MECOOL KM6 Deluxe -

1. I can't seem to pair my BT Sony PS4 controller with MECOOL KM6, it either don't show on discovery mode or stuck at paining mode. I can use the controller wired though
2. I had Asphalt 9 showing on Play Store which I think is taken off, I can only see Asphat 8. Anyone have APK for Asphalt 9
3. Anyone knows any Admin app where I can upload my APK and see in client  App on MECOOL Box
4. Netflix App I have only supports SD and not UHD 4K videos, please share working link of Netflix App which supports HDR on UHD and QLED TV's I have
5. I saw on some MECOOL KM6 Deluxe Youtube video that when you select apps like Youtube, Disney+, Prime ...it shows recommendations on Top slider page which really looks awesome. Anyone knows how to enable that or any other App to enable that?
6. Is that remotes comes with it is BT or IR?
7. Anyone faces its heating issue and fixed that?
8. Can the name be changed in System settinngs from "KM6" to somethign else?
9. Anyone knows how to root MECOOL KM6 Deluxe ?

Thnaks in advance
hi there

did you find a solution to root the mecool km6  I have been trying with kingoroot, one clickroot apk, king root and some other  and NONE completed the rooting.... Am frustrated as wanted to install some apps but system doesn't allow due to box not rooted. Was considering a factory reset but maybe that would be trouble. If anybody has any advise about the best, fast and safe way to boot please be so kind to share

thanks
(2020-10-05, 22:48)88keyz Wrote: MECOOL Android TV Box KM6 Basic Edition

MECOOL KM6 Classic Android TV Box Specification:
  • CPU: Amlogic S905X4 Quad core ARM Cortex-A55
  • GPU: Mail-G31 MP2
  • RAM: 2GB 
  • ROM: 16GB
  • Wifi: 2.4G/5G 2T2R 802.11 b/g/n/ac
  • BT: 4.2
  • Ethernet: RJ45 10/100 M
MECOOL KM6 Classic Android TV Box  Supported DRM:
  • Widevine Level 1
  • Playready
  • HDCP 2.2
  • Verimatrix (Option)
MECOOL KM6 Classic Android TV Box  Interfaces:
  • HDMI 2.1 Output
  • AV Output (3.5mm jack)
  • 1 x USB2.0
  • 1 x USB3.0
  • Micro SD card slot
  • Ethernet
  • DC IN

MECOOL Android TV Box KM6 Deluxe Edition

MECOOL KM6 Deluxe Edition Android TV Box Specification:
  • CPU: Amlogic S905X4 Quad core ARM Cortex-A55
  • GPU: Mail-G31 MP2
  • RAM: 4GB
  • ROM: 64GB (32G optional)
  • Wifi: 2.4G/5G 2T2R 802.11 b/g/n/ac/ax
  • BT: 5.0
  • Ethernet: RJ45 10/100/1000 M
MECOOL KM6 Deluxe Edition Android TV Box Supported DRM:
  • Widevine Level 1
  • Playready
  • HDCP 2.2
  • Verimatrix (Option)
MECOOL KM6 Deluxe Edition Android TV Box Interfaces:
  • HDMI 2.1 Output
  • AV Output (3.5mm jack)
  • Optical
  • 1 x USB2.0
  • 1 x USB3.0
  • Micro SD card slot
  • DC IN

https://www.mecoolonline.com/collections/mecool-km6
Expected Release Date: October 30, 2020
Pricing: TBA

I have a DeLuxe model, fantastic machine, load fast, picture clear, etc.   only the android TV not my cup of tea as I can not install a lot of Apps, they are not available on play store and installing sideloaded is the solution but still not as easy for a newbie like me thus frustrated for not being able to download some as the error says system Not rooted, can anybody help with a working Root solution, tried a couple software KingoRoot, One Click root, King Root and One Click Root APK but so far none has completed the operation, I got them from the Aptoide site.
Is it easy to do a factory reset and maybe rooting would be easy.

Thanks for any help
(2021-08-26, 08:02)manudeoliveira Wrote: Is it easy to do a factory reset and maybe rooting would be easy.

This is not a Mecool hardware support site. Simply ask at Mecool forums, or perhaps the manufacturer directly?
Wink 
(2021-07-20, 21:16)BUGGERLUGZ Wrote: Just picked up a Mecool KM2 and whilst I'm really impressed with it, I can't for the life of me get audio passthrough to work on Kodi (or any other player VLC included). I've tried my old HDMI to TV, TV optical out to AVR trick (which even worked on the Libreelec Raspberry pi kodi but its no go here) and also plugged the KM2 direct from its SPDIF to the AVR and it works exactly the same (PCM audio only), I can only get any sound at all if pass-through is disabled in all player software. 

The sound works via spdif but is always in PCM mode on my receiver, if I set it to pass-through I get nothing when 5.1 or DTS streams are playing.

It appears there is a "advanced audio" option missing in the android tv settings to select which output you want to use, so it defaults to PCM regardless.

Same to you. I am getting stuck with config passthrough with KM6. Do you have any good news Big Grin Huh
(2021-09-22, 06:56)bimken Wrote:
(2021-07-20, 21:16)BUGGERLUGZ Wrote: Just picked up a Mecool KM2 and whilst I'm really impressed with it, I can't for the life of me get audio passthrough to work on Kodi (or any other player VLC included). I've tried my old HDMI to TV, TV optical out to AVR trick (which even worked on the Libreelec Raspberry pi kodi but its no go here) and also plugged the KM2 direct from its SPDIF to the AVR and it works exactly the same (PCM audio only), I can only get any sound at all if pass-through is disabled in all player software. 

Same to you. I am getting stuck with config passthrough with KM6. Do you have any good news Big Grin Huh
With vlc you can passtrought dts-ma and dts x..
(2021-09-23, 03:46)spadafora Wrote: With vlc you can passtrought dts-ma and dts x..

How about Dolby Atmos, my soundbar do not support DTS only Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby HD.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MECOOL Android TV Box KM6 Series w/ Amlogic S905X4 SoC0