v19 Progress Bar 'jumping' with 7.1 Atmos M4A files
Hi

I've just played a 7.1 Atmos album through Kodi 19.2 on both Windows and Android and on both, the progress bar is jumping while still playing the music normally. I've seen a couple of old threads about this but can't seem to find a solution, although I tried changing Kodi display to 1080p from 2160p and that made no difference.

Can anyone help please? Also, if it says DolbyHD 7.1, is that Atmos - it's not specifically meant to say Atmos is it?

Thanks
James
I get same issue here with Atmos playback in Kodi 19.0 and 19.1. (Atmos in MKA files too from memory).

I use a modified version of Aeon Nox Silvo skin to show codec information including ‘Atmos’ based on source folder naming. I suspect Kodi is only displaying the core format (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 for Atmos from Blu-ray).
(2021-10-14, 22:18)HomerJau Wrote: I get same issue here with Atmos playback in Kodi 19.0 and 19.1. (Atmos in MKA files too from memory).

I use a modified version of Aeon Nox Silvo skin to show codec information including ‘Atmos’ based on source folder naming. I suspect Kodi is only displaying the core format (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 for Atmos from Blu-ray).

Do you just put up with the jumping? Have you tried to resolve e.g would having a single mkv with cue instead of chapters work?
(2021-10-14, 22:18)HomerJau Wrote: I get same issue here with Atmos playback in Kodi 19.0 and 19.1. (Atmos in MKA files too from memory).

I have the same issue here with Atmos files on Matrix 19.3.  I have auto passthrough turned on to allow the Atmos track to pass.  If I turn off auto passthrough the seek bar and gapless work fine.  If I turn it back on, the seek bar stuttering and gapless issues are back.  But with auto passthrough off I don't get Atmos.  My 5.1 flac files all play fine, gapless and smooth seek bar.

I have a Nvidia Shield (2015 and 2019 shields) at each of my 2 ATMOS setups. Then a W11 pc as my plex server.   It does seem like a Shield issue from what I can see.  Other reports I saw were that this worked fine on W10 PC's or the Onn UHD (Android box). Kodi 19.3.
Forgot to mention I am using MKA files.  I think this issue occurs with .M4A files too.
I have the same problem with m4a files. I have generated m4a files using Music Media Helper from an mkv file. The m4a contains Dolby Atmos audio. The audio plays correctly in Kodi 19.3 using passthrough as Dolby Atmos audio.

Problems:
- The progress bar jitters.
- Gapless playback does not work. There is a pause of about 1 sec between songs.
I logged the Kodi progress bar/timer jitter issue here:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/20391
(2022-01-06, 21:08)HomerJau Wrote: I logged the Kodi progress bar/timer jitter issue here:

Can you check which player Kodi is using here?  Is it using PAPlayer or the VideoPlayer?  AFAIK, Videoplayer passes atmos through properly, but PAPlayer might not - We have no audio dev right now so it might take a while to figure things out.  The progress bar and timings should come from whatever is playing the file so my guess right now would be an issue with PAPlayer, but that's just a guess, and even if it turns out right, no guarantee that it will be fixed.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
This is Kodi using the audio player, not the video player.

I would like to be able to play individual songs as just music from an album that is mixed in Dolby Atmos, for instance Abbey Road by the Beatles. I rip the bluray to mkv using MakeMKV and then I split the mkv file in individual m4a files using Music Media Helper. I tag the m4a files in MMH. This gives me a list of music files that I can play in Kodi. This is where I see the jittering progress bar.
To my eyes it appears to be mixing the actual progress bar and the cache bar data because it does move along but as it's moving it's jumping up and down at the same time.
Don't remember ever seeing this, what exactly is jumping? do you mean the length of the actual bar that gets filled jumps back then forward so the progress bar does not get filled linearly in the forward direction? or do you mean the nib that sits on top to show current position jumps about?
I noted earlier in this post of this issue. The video posted is the same thing I see too.
Wow that progress bar looks like it's had an overdose of Amphetamines.
The track timer eventually shows exactly double the actual track duration.
Example track duration: 5:10
GUI incremented time at song completion: 10:20

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Progress Bar 'jumping' with 7.1 Atmos M4A files0