XBOX Kodi shuts down after exiting while playing background music
Hello.

In Xbox, Kodi is shutting down on its own after trying to go back to the Home Screen while playing songs from USB.
While inside the app it works fine, it seems something is shutting it down a couple of seconds afterwards.

Comparing to other similar apps that don't allow background music, these shutdown immediately, such as the Edge browser. But in the case of Kodi, it remains playing music for several seconds, and then stops (Around 30 seconds).

Is there any way we see the log of what might be causing it to shutdown and see if that can be fixed? Maybe an exception needs to be added for Xbox not to close it or something?

Thanks.
(2021-03-10, 19:10)darkwolfx Wrote: Hello.

In Xbox, Kodi is shutting down on its own after trying to go back to the Home Screen while playing songs from USB.
While inside the app it works fine, it seems something is shutting it down a couple of seconds afterwards.

Comparing to other similar apps that don't allow background music, these shutdown immediately, such as the Edge browser. But in the case of Kodi, it remains playing music for several seconds, and then stops (Around 30 seconds).

Is there any way we see the log of what might be causing it to shutdown and see if that can be fixed? Maybe an exception needs to be added for Xbox not to close it or something?

Thanks.

I'm not sure how much memory Kodi usually uses (likely dependent on addons), but it's possible it's exceeding the Xbox's limit of 128MB for a backgrounded app if it doesn't take steps to reduce its memory usage when backgrounded. 30 seconds seems like it could be a the time MS affords an app to get under that limit.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...mory-usage
(2021-03-10, 19:10)darkwolfx Wrote: Hello.

Thanks.
You're lucky, mine shuts off the audio as soon as I "exit" Kodi. Literally the instant my screen switches from Kodi to the Xbox dashboard or a game, the audio stops. It starts again at the moment it left off the instant I go back to Kodi. 

I don't understand why the Kodi developers are deliberately hindering their app on the Xbox platform. It's bizarre.
(2021-11-06, 21:56)Fuzzard Wrote: The removal of the backgroundmediaplayback capability was actually a requirement from Microsoft for the submission to the app store.
We were told we can't have that and the hevcplayback capability at the same time.
(2021-11-06, 22:45)Hitcher Wrote:
(2021-11-06, 21:56)Fuzzard Wrote: The removal of the backgroundmediaplayback capability was actually a requirement from Microsoft for the submission to the app store.
We were told we can't have that and the hevcplayback capability at the same time.

You're kidding me? What kind of BS rule is that? In that case, I take it all back. It was Microsoft's fault all along. Apologies for blaming the Kodi developers, I should've known this would be the usual Microsoft nonsense.
Basically: applications with hevcPlayback in the manifest have more memory reserved all the time even when no video is playing. If the app is left in the background, the Xbox memory manager forces the close because the memory is reclaimed by other applications / games in the foreground.

Before --> Kodi crashes after one minute in background (force close).
Now --> Kodi goes into "hibernation" while in the background. Does not consume memory and not forced close.

In reality this option has never worked well because Kodi consumes too many resources to be able to be in the background according to Microsoft's criteria.

Microsoft also considers that these two options in the manifest are incompatible: "backgroundMediaPlayback" and "hevcPlayback" because produces bad user experience (force close).
@Top Dollar I think it was you who previously mentioned another app that did work in the background. That one most likely worked as I think you mentioned it was a music only app, so was probably a lot more lightweight so didn't require as much memory as Kodi, thus unlikely to be killed by the Xbox memory management.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi shuts down after exiting while playing background music0