v18 How to reflect DVD releases in Kodi
I'm having trouble adding a number of DVDs of tv shows to Kodi where the episode order is radically different from the Aired order.

Here's is just one example.

I've got the original UK specific DVD of Jim Henson's Fraggle Rock, which consists of just 12 episodes in the following order:
  1. The Secret of Convincing John
  2. Capture The Moon
  3. Boober's Dream
  4. Mokey & the Minstrels
  5. The Day the Music Died
  6. Boober's Quiet Day
  7. Invasion of the Toe Ticklers
  8. A Friend in Need
  9. Booberock
  10. Red's Club
  11. Doomsday Soup
  12. Junior Sells the Farm
On both TMDB and TVDB this release is not reflected, and I can only get the episode information added to Kodi by naming the files according to the Aired order.

The problem with this is that 1) it doesn't reflect the DVD itself as the episode order is different, and 2) it causes this title to be split over two separate seasons in Kodi:

Season 1
   16. The Day the Music Died

Season 2
   2. Boober Rock
   6. Boober's Dream
   7. Mokey and the Minstrels
  10. A Friend in Need
  13. Red's Club
  14. The Secret of Convincing John
  16. Junior Sells the Farm
  18. The Day the Music Died
  19. Doomsday Soup
  23. Boober's Quiet Day
  24. The Invasion of the Toe Ticklers

Of course I can use the 'All seasons' entry in Kodi to get around the episodes listing being split over two separate seasons, and accept that the scraped order is actually the correct order, but I'd like to have Kodi reflect my actual DVD collection, not the original aired order.

I've tried exporting my library to generate NFO files, but I get limited results with editing the NFO files and refreshing the entries with the local changes. Editing tvshow.nfo results in the number of episodes listed under the TV Show Information as 12. I've changed the season and episode numbers in each episode's individual NFO file, but these do not get reflected in Kodi. To see if the modified episode NFO files get read back at all I've tried changing the description, and those changes do get reflected in Kodi.

It's not a unique case though, I have similar problems with DVD rips of Ducktales, Scooby-Doo, and the Smurfs, where the DVD releases are not reflected in TVDB or TMDB. Studios often release "complete" collections that are anything but complete (Ducktales), or compilations that pull together various episodes from different seasons, e.g. all Christmas episodes of a given series (Smurfs), or a best of (Scooby-Doo New Movies).

I'm hoping to initially use the scrapers to get the episode descriptions, artwork, actor info, etc., then apply some manual fixes to reflect the actual DVD release without losing the scraped information. Is this possible?
(2021-12-29, 20:22)Aerion Wrote: I've changed the season and episode numbers in each episode's individual NFO file,
That won't do anything. Season and episode numbers are obtained from the file name of the episode, not the nfo file.

(2021-12-29, 20:22)Aerion Wrote: I'm hoping to initially use the scrapers to get the episode descriptions, artwork, actor info, etc., then apply some manual fixes to reflect the actual DVD release without losing the scraped information. Is this possible?
Yes, that is possible, and quite commonly done by users.

A couple of issues to remember.
1. When scraping, Kodi is limited to what the scraper sites provide. For this show in particular, nobody has added an alternate order to match your DVD's
2. Not all DVD releases can be classified as TV Shows on those two websites. Many dvd releases are just compilations of themed titles, and may come from many different shows, or are classified as movies like the Looney Tunes Golden Collection... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=349595

A couple of ways around your problem...
1. Add the alternative order to TMDB then scrape... https://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_file...ode_Groups
I could suggest you add it to TVDB also, but then you would have to pay to scrape it.

2. Continue with your method of scraping then rearrange the episodes. Scrape first, then adjust the episode order. See sect 5... https://kodi.wiki/view/Convert_movie_to_episode
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thank you very much for your informative reply.

I haven't got time right this moment to actually try your suggestions out, but a quick look at the 'Convert episode to movie' suggests that this will achieve what I'm looking for. Also very useful for things such as the Firefly/Serenity example!

I'm indeed careful not adding every DVD to TMDB/TVDB since not all releases reflect the TV shows they're based on.

Thanks again!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to reflect DVD releases in Kodi0