• 56(current)
Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV
(2022-01-10, 00:43)onesolo Wrote: But then why usually now both files, mkv and mp4, are made available from the same streaming show ??
That's just the formats they're converted to not what they're actually streamed as.
Further, MKV is the ideal format... but older HDR TVs can't play it back. The MP4 is a useful legacy / compatibility format to supplement the MKV.
still I don't understand why the mp4 DV works fine and the same file of mkv DV doesn't work on Kodi on my shield... but no problem for me... I was just trying to understand why one work and the other doesn't...
Living Room: TV LG OLED55C9PLA, Onkyo TX-NR808, Xbox One S, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019), PS3, Wii, Cambridge Audio Azur 640C, Wharfedale Diamond 9.4 / 9 CS / 9.1, Sub BK Gemini, Logitech 650 Remote
(2022-01-13, 11:29)onesolo Wrote: still I don't understand why the mp4 DV works fine and the same file of mkv DV doesn't work on Kodi on my shield... but no problem for me... I was just trying to understand why one work and the other doesn't...
Vanilla Kodi supports DV in an MP4 container but not MKV. The build from Kodi Nerds adds support for DV in MKV.
Hi, guys. Sorry for the trouble. I'm just confused in regards to Maven's build, should I download and install both Matrix and Master apk files?

I'm currently using fandangos' Matrix 19 FINAL on my Shield Pro (2019) - so far, so good btw (really appreciate the effort). I just thought of updating it and scrolling through some posts here, it seems that Maven's build is the updated one? My only concern is to make the DV work as usual.

Thank you in advance!
(2022-01-13, 17:19)gmartz Wrote: Hi, guys. Sorry for the trouble. I'm just confused in regards to Maven's build, should I download and install both Matrix and Master apk files?

Just one is enough. Matrix is the 19.3/19.4 build. Master is the Kodi 20 (Nexus) alpha build.
(2022-01-13, 22:46)MrMagic Wrote:
(2022-01-13, 17:19)gmartz Wrote: Hi, guys. Sorry for the trouble. I'm just confused in regards to Maven's build, should I download and install both Matrix and Master apk files?

Just one is enough. Matrix is the 19.3/19.4 build. Master is the Kodi 20 (Nexus) alpha build.
Thanks for the clarification! Which one would be best for DV playback?
Wich version do I need for Shield 2019 pro Dolby Vision MKV playback? Smile
Nice, looks like Maven pulled in the ffmpeg fix that corrected Dolby Digital transcoding for the Nexus (master) builds.  Before it caused audio tracks to output in only stereo because it wasn't setting channel count numbers regardless if the transcoding setting was enabled. Also included the Nexus enhancement that shows the HDR type (like HDR10, Dolby Vision) next to the rest of the info (such as resolution, A/V codecs) for each title. It even shows the Dolby Vision logo for P7 titles, I was somewhat expecting it to only show for the P5 titles, and not any MKVs with the dual HDR in P7 (like you see from UHD titles with HDR10 + DV).

I haven't experience any of the quirks/issues people have experienced with the official 19.x app and the Shield 9.0.0 update.  Probably because I'm running the Nexus master build line.  This is definitely the superior build vs anything other Kodi build I've tried official or unofficial, IMO...

One other observation:  I've long had difficulty with certain remuxed MKVs from my UHD physical disc collection, mostly those with particularly high average bitrates (such as with especially FEL DV P7 tracks) streaming over my network via SMB from my file server.  That file server is a full blown Intel gen9 Xeon based server running Windows Server 2019 with dual 10GbE NICs so it's definitely not the bottleneck, and neither are the switches in-between.  There were a few titles that choked even the Shield Pro 2019, and a lot more that impacted a Sony A8H Android TV.  Despite setting a generous cache in Kodi it would eventually stall out and the movie would lag/stutter.  I've enabled NFS on the file server, reworked the Kodi video library and it appears this is helping considerably and seems like both the Shield and Sony ATV are able to transfer noticeably faster via NFS vs SMB.  Tbh I'm not entirely surprised since IME NFS has always worked a bit better than SMB on anything Linux related.  It also seems to work better with resuming movies partway through, whereas over SMB I think I experienced more quirks where it failed to resume.  Sort of kicking myself for not switching sooner.
So TL;DR if you're having stuttering/lagging, and you're using SMB, try NFS instead...
Duplicate.
(2021-12-31, 22:03)quietvoid Wrote:
(2021-12-30, 14:32)gilsonsjc Wrote: Shield TV Pro 2019 - kodinerds-20211229-2037e462-master-ATV-140-arm64-v8a.apk
  • DV content, regardless of whether it is .mkv or .mp4: they display funny collors (purple and green). I would like say that the test was done on a non DV TV. I wanna make sure this solution is backwards compatilble: meaning, the same content I can run on a non Dolby Vision supported system as well.
  • Here is the debug: http://paste.kodi.tv/renirobuke

The build does not provide backwards compatibility (other than simply decoding the file) if your TV doesn't support it.
Kodi behaves as expected:
Quote:CDVDVideoCodecAndroidMediaCodec::Open Dolby Vision playback support: Display: false, MediaCodec: true

There's nothing to do until either image processing is implemented to process the image and make it into HDR10.
Though I'm unsure if it would ever be supported on Android.
Actually I've had this happen on my Shield 2019 a few times.  Green/Purple picture. It always ends up being because the HDFury Integral 2 loses sync when I initially turn stuff on and forget to do the final hotplug reset on the HDFury.  Without that, the resolution is a bit screwy and most importantly, the Shield flips DV support off because it thinks the "TV" (which is actually the HDFury) can't support it.
The weirdest thing is now happening to me.
I have a shield tv pro, and using the kodi nerds 19.3 build that is supposed to support DV, I am now able to play MKV DV without any problem, but the weird thing is I now have stuttering and lag playing MP4 format...

My advancedsettings.xml cache is generous, and I have a 500 mbps wifi, so this is not the problem. I am scratching my head here, any help would be appreciated.
Take the nexus build everthink works
Does someone have a mirror to the maven Nexus build? The links I know are down due to excessive data usage.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmmgyuwJuHPxh59N5trB...A?e=cM46uP
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
  • 56(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV0