Can Kodi run Dolby Vision?
No you can't. Please read previous posts.
(2023-02-15, 12:06)jjd-uk Wrote: No you can't. Please read previous posts.

Thank you for replying. I have read the previous posts. The main reason for not playing DV content according to those posts is licensing issue which Kodi cannot afford to pay. So, does this mean Kodi has to pay to even utilise the Dolby vision extension software which is already officially installed on the PCs?
(2023-02-15, 17:59)pshant98 Wrote:
(2023-02-15, 12:06)jjd-uk Wrote: No you can't. Please read previous posts.

Thank you for replying. I have read the previous posts. The main reason for not playing DV content according to those posts is licensing issue which Kodi cannot afford to pay. So, does this mean Kodi has to pay to even utilise the Dolby vision extension software which is already officially installed on the PCs?

In addition to licensing, I believe Kodi would also have to be approved by Dolby, which probably won't happen.

Generally Dolby doesn't license software, they licence hardware and OS together.

That's why it works on Android, because Kodi on android hands off video playback to the android device. That can't be done on windows, Windows doesn't have an embedded native player, and even if it did is unlikely that Kodi could use it without a complete rewrite for the video player.

So I bought an Nvidia shield and it works great.
My Kodi / HTPC / Gaming / Tech Channel
If I helped in someway, hit the Like button :)
The extension you have is for UWP apps and only then for Dolby approved apps such as Netflix I think. To quote myself

(2022-11-22, 12:56)jjd-uk Wrote: You need an Intel CPU that has Dolby Vision support built in, which is not all of them, and AMD doesn't have any support of Dolby Vision at all. In addition only pure UWP apps can do Dolby Vision, which Kodi isn't, so would need a complete rewrite of Kodi which isn't going to happen.
(2023-01-09, 18:44)jjd-uk Wrote: DV is only supported on systems that have a hardware decoder and the OS must provide a protected video path to the hardware, none of this exisits for the DirectX API which we use on Windows.
Yes I don't think it has anything to do with whether or not "Kodi" can buy a license.  The issue is the end-to-end design of Kodi and how it fits into the overall playback chain.

scott s.
What if we users made a crowdfunding to buy the license for kodi?
We need this!!!!

Last piece of the puzzle for me to make Kodi perfect to have DV support

All my 4k remux's with DV on my 4k OLED.

Kodi 20.1
Windows 11
@klikakuzma

First post and you're spamming with a URL, please read the forum rules. Official:Forum rules (wiki)
Zidoo's native player plays DV from mkv containers with full bandwidth passthrough audio including Atmos and DTSX but lacks hardware FEL support.  It's not KODI playing the content in that case.  The ZDMI port of Kodi works rather well for this on a modern Zidoo.  One of the only ways I know of that really supports all DV formats from a mkv container is a legacy OPPO blu-ray device.  I'm convinced this is all because of Dolby licensing policies and a lack of real hardware on a windows platform to perform the additional FEL layer enhancement.
@jjd-uk Looking at some commits of Chromium, there are ways to use the Dolby vision extension through Media Foundation, the successor of DirectShow. The app doesn't have to be UWP.
But as things stand, integrating MF in Kodi would meet the same fate as DSPlayer...
On the plus side with additional plumbing of other pieces of MF, it would also allow playback at max res of encrypted streaming services, using the protected path.

Integration of libplacebo would be better aligned with Kodi's values and allows playback of dovi profile 5.
Unless a brave dev undertakes a "MFPlayer" fork :-)
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can Kodi run Dolby Vision?0