Req Save resume position on pause
So I find myself often pausing my movies to do other stuff. After a while screen savers kicks in or the TV shuts down and no resume point is being saved.

So I'm requesting a feature that saves a resume point when you PAUSE a movie in addition the current(?) saving when "STOPPING" a movie.
This should be fairly easy to add since the code should already be there.

In addition, shouldn't it save a resume point based on time also? Like If I'm watching something and have to head out, I just shut down my TV and Nvidia shield with the off button on the controller. Not stop and then off.
Also if app crashes or something you obviously wont be able to press stop.

In these cases a time based saved would be good to have. I did try a few other addons I found, none of them are working in a good way.
(2023-03-01, 19:16)Ejziponken Wrote: I just shut down my TV and Nvidia shield with the off button on the controller. Not stop and then off.
That is an "off" button, as in stop, and the whole device goes to sleep. It is not a pause button, otherwise it would be wide awake and have insomnia.

(2023-03-01, 19:16)Ejziponken Wrote: In addition, shouldn't it save a resume point based on time also?
How do you think 'resume' works? It wouldn't really work without a timestamp, would it?
And why not simply press the STOP button instead of the PAUSE button?
Well when I shut my TV down with the power off on the controller, no resume time is saved in kodi.

And when I say it should be time based, I mean it should save a resume point every X seconds.
All I'm saying is that current resume feature works, but only for a very specific scenario. You watch a movie and you press stop. It does not cover other scenarios like I mentioned above.
I almost never use the "stop". I pause and I quit the app manually or because of the screen saver/power off. And on crash it does not work either.

Sure you can say, just press stop. But this is the feature request forum so I'm requesting a few lines of codes to make the feature more user friendly and so it covers more scenarios.
(2023-03-02, 10:11)Ejziponken Wrote: All I'm saying is that current resume feature works, but only for a very specific scenario. You watch a movie and you press stop. It does not cover other scenarios like I mentioned above.
I almost never use the "stop". I pause and I quit the app manually or because of the screen saver/power off. And on crash it does not work either.

Sure you can say, just press stop. But this is the feature request forum so I'm requesting a few lines of codes to make the feature more user friendly and so it covers more scenarios.

I believe all of the described functionality is inherent in my Mezzmo Kodi addon.  It will save the resume points / bookmarks based upon time (every 30 seconds), when playback is paused, when playback is stopped or when the end of the file is reached (resume point is cleared).  It also has a lookback feature where when you resume you can pickup right where you left off or have it backup automatically 0-30 seconds based upon the addon settings.  I think this is what you are requesting here.  

If so, I have another addon,  called Autostop,  which monitors playback in Kodi and has much of the same code ported over from the Mezzmo addon, minus saving the resume pointers to the Kodi database. If what I describe above in the Mezzmo addon is what is being looked for, I'll consider porting it over to the Autostop addon.  I'll just have to convince myself to write some JSON RPC code <sigh>...  Undecided

You might also want to look at the Autostop addon as a way to stop paused movies vs. the screensaver. It might actually solve your issue since when it stops a paused movie it issues a stop to Kodi, which should force a resume point save.  It is in the Kodi repository if you are running Kodi 19 or higher.  You can also set it to trigger Kodi's screensaver vs. the one on your TV.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
(2023-03-02, 13:15)jbinkley60 Wrote:
(2023-03-02, 10:11)Ejziponken Wrote: All I'm saying is that current resume feature works, but only for a very specific scenario. You watch a movie and you press stop. It does not cover other scenarios like I mentioned above.

I believe all of the described functionality is inherent in my Mezzmo Kodi addon.  It will save the resume points / bookmarks based upon time (every 30 seconds), when playback is paused, when playback is stopped or when the end of the file is reached (resume point is cleared).  It also has a lookback feature where when you resume you can pickup right where you left off or have it backup automatically 0-30 seconds based upon the addon settings.  I think this is what you are requesting here.  

If so, I have another addon,  called Autostop,  which monitors playback in Kodi and has much of the same code ported over from the Mezzmo addon, minus saving the resume pointers to the Kodi database. If what I describe above in the Mezzmo addon is what is being looked for, I'll consider porting it over to the Autostop addon.  I'll just have to convince myself to write some JSON RPC code <sigh>...  Undecided

You might also want to look at the Autostop addon as a way to stop paused movies vs. the screensaver. It might actually solve your issue since when it stops a paused movie it issues a stop to Kodi, which should force a resume point save.  It is in the Kodi repository if you are running Kodi 19 or higher.  You can also set it to trigger Kodi's screensaver vs. the one on your TV.

Thanks,

Jeff
Hi Jeff!

I actually did find your addon when I was looking for alternatives, but I felt it was a bit complicated for me. I'm rather new to Kodi and it seemed like there was so much in your addon that I didn't really need or want and I didn't really find the energy to figure it all out yet (so much to read). I wasn't sure if I could use only the the resume feature in that addon or not. I really don't want to complicate things for myself, I'm quite happy in how Kodi works except for the resume part.

So if you do find the time and energy, feel free to port the resume part. It sounds great and it does sound like something I would use. In fact, your way of doing it sounds soo great, I would urge the Kodi team to just add it as a standard feature in Kodi itself. :p
I think it's a very valid feature req.
In the mean time you might want to try an addon i use. Not exactly what you are looking for, but it helps me out in a particular scenario.
Quite simple to use too.

https://github.com/bossanova808/script.s...ackresumer

Oh, i also use Autostop. Great for the bedroom setup Wink
(2023-03-02, 19:15)Atreyu Wrote: ... Not exactly what you are looking for, but ...

for context this originated here - https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=372286
(2023-03-02, 18:54)Ejziponken Wrote: Hi Jeff!

I actually did find your addon when I was looking for alternatives, but I felt it was a bit complicated for me. I'm rather new to Kodi and it seemed like there was so much in your addon that I didn't really need or want and I didn't really find the energy to figure it all out yet (so much to read). I wasn't sure if I could use only the the resume feature in that addon or not. I really don't want to complicate things for myself, I'm quite happy in how Kodi works except for the resume part.

So if you do find the time and energy, feel free to port the resume part. It sounds great and it does sound like something I would use. In fact, your way of doing it sounds soo great, I would urge the Kodi team to just add it as a standard feature in Kodi itself. :p

Most of the features of the Autostop addon are independent of each other.  The featureset has grown over time as folks have asked for various things.  If you simply want it to automatically pause stopped playback  then just adjust the Pause Autostop Minutes option to determine how long you want a paused item to stay paused before the addon stops it, which will set the resume value.  You can also set the screen saver to on, if you want it to then active the screensaver after stopping the paused playback.  You can leave everything else turned off / disabled.

I'll give some thought to porting the code which periodically saves the resume time, like the Mezzmo Kodi addon but if I do it will get ported into this addon and not another stand-alone addon.  I've got a few other projects on my plate right now so it could be awhile before I can spend some time on this.    I think the addon, used as described above,  will suffice. 

I do concur that setting the resume timer on pause seems like a basic feature that should be in Kodi. 

Thanks,

jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
(2023-03-02, 22:11)jbinkley60 Wrote:
(2023-03-02, 18:54)Ejziponken Wrote: Hi Jeff!

Most of the features of the Autostop addon are independent of each other.  The featureset has grown over time as folks have asked for various things.  If you simply want it to automatically pause stopped playback  then just adjust the Pause Autostop Minutes option to determine how long you want a paused item to stay paused before the addon stops it, which will set the resume value.  You can also set the screen saver to on, if you want it to then active the screensaver after stopping the paused playback.  You can leave everything else turned off / disabled.

I'll give some thought to porting the code which periodically saves the resume time, like the Mezzmo Kodi addon but if I do ti will get ported into this addon and not another stand-alone addon.  I've got a few other projects on my plate right now so it could be awhile before I can spend some time on this.    I think the addon, used as described above,  will suffice. 

I do concur that setting the resume timer on pause seems like a basic feature that should be in Kodi. 

Thanks,

jeff

I was talking about the Mezzmo addon. Im using the autostop plugin atm and for now, it seems to be nice.
(2023-03-02, 22:28)Ejziponken Wrote: I was talking about the Mezzmo addon. Im using the autostop plugin atm and for now, it seems to be nice.

Ohh, I misunderstood.  The functionality you desire is already in the Mezzmo Kodi addon but it is designed to work with Mezzmo / Kodi and not stand-alone Kodi  environments.  Any porting of the periodic resume pointer saving code would need to go t another addon like Autostop.  Updating the Mezzmo Kodi addon to work in non-Mezzmo environments would be too big of a risk to maintain stability over the long run.

Thanks,

Jeff
As per the other thread, if you use Kodi Playback Resumer and set it to save a resume point every 10 seconds (or even less!) - it's never going to be very far behind where you've paused.  Job done, surely?
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
(2023-03-03, 01:13)bossanova808 Wrote: As per the other thread, if you use Kodi Playback Resumer and set it to save a resume point every 10 seconds (or even less!) - it's never going to be very far behind where you've paused.  Job done, surely?

A nice simple elegant solution.

Jeff

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Save resume position on pause0