• 62(current)
Linux ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel
Main reason I don't use android on my n2+ is it doesn't seem to support most IR remotes out of the box. One of the benefits of using coreelec is you get a free file server and docker for other server task. 

If you want to play games too though android is really good.
That's my use case for Odroid N2, CoreElec on USB (SSD) and Android TV (LineageOS) on internal eMMC, which covers all my needs. Both work perfectly...
Does anyone have the eMMC module with android and by microSD CE?. Together the two things reboot from one system to another?.
My N2 has similar installations, Android on eMMC and CoreElec on USB. Which OS will be booted is decided by onboard "SPI Petitboot bootloader". I have SPI Petitboot bootloader selected to boot CoreElec automatically and when I want to boot Android, I have to select it manually. This way I can reboot from Android to CE automatically, but from CE booting Android must be chosen manually. SPI Petitboot bootloader can be set to different boot options. It accepts 3 operating systems, for example Linux/CoreElec/Android on uSD card, Linux/CoreElec/Android on eMMC and Linux/CoreElec on USB (no Android on USB); any OS combination can be used, but only one OS can be set to boot automatically.
i have ce on a generic android tv box booting from sdcard, from ce i choose reboot to emmc and itll boot android, in android i installed the app to reboot back to ce (it basically just issues the reboot update command)

works pretty well for me
(2023-02-28, 23:42)Sholander Wrote: That's my use case for Odroid N2, CoreElec on USB (SSD) and Android TV (LineageOS) on internal eMMC, which covers all my needs. Both work perfectly...
I have a spare USB SSD I can repurpose to use on my N2+ but despite trawling the CoreElec forums I cannot find the right information to set this up,
maybe I'm putting the wrong words into search but its proving to be a frustrating search.
Would you mind pointing me in the right direction for how to install and boot from CoreElec via USB on the Odroid N2/+ devices please?
(2023-03-02, 18:02)stammie Wrote:
(2023-02-28, 23:42)Sholander Wrote: That's my use case for Odroid N2, CoreElec on USB (SSD) and Android TV (LineageOS) on internal eMMC, which covers all my needs. Both work perfectly...
I have a spare USB SSD I can repurpose to use on my N2+ but despite trawling the CoreElec forums I cannot find the right information to set this up,
maybe I'm putting the wrong words into search but its proving to be a frustrating search.
Would you mind pointing me in the right direction for how to install and boot from CoreElec via USB on the Odroid N2/+ devices please?

https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/possibl...d-n2/17240

Quote:Odroid N2 does boot from USB pen/disk drive using SPI switch in left position to boot from Petitboot.
(2023-03-01, 21:46)jepsizofye Wrote: i have ce on a generic android tv box booting from sdcard, from ce i choose reboot to emmc and itll boot android, in android i installed the app to reboot back to ce

Long power let's you restart to CE too, no app required.

Martin

Yes I can, but it involves some knowledge and preparation, basically:
Check Petitboot version installed on your N2 -> unplug N2, remove eMMC module, flip SPI switch to left position, power on N2 read info on screen when Petitboot loads
If needed update your Petitboot to version "dev.20220317" -> https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_images/petitboot
Burn Coreelec final 20.5 via Balena Etcher on your SSD.
After that you'll be left with two partitions on your SSD, a small boot partition formatted to Fat32, and the rest formatted in Linux Ext4 (I think) partition. Here comes the tricky part, to be able to use your SSD for your media storage you have to repartition the big Ext4 partition to two, a small one about 32-64Gb for Coreelec Storage, and the rest for your media files. This can be done on a Linux machine, or directly on N2 -> look here how I did it.

My advice is first use an 16-32-64 Gb USB Stick to see how it works without the need to repartition/resize Ext4 partition. Just update Petitboot if needed, and remove eMMC, flip SPI switch to left position, plugin USB stick and power on N2. The installation should go though without any hiccups...
(2023-03-03, 16:47)Sholander Wrote:

Yes I can, but it involves some knowledge and preparation, basically:
Check Petitboot version installed on your N2 -> unplug N2, remove eMMC module, flip SPI switch to left position, power on N2 read info on screen when Petitboot loads
If needed update your Petitboot to version "dev.20220317" -> https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_images/petitboot
Burn Coreelec final 20.5 via Balena Etcher on your SSD.
After that you'll be left with two partitions on your SSD, a small boot partition formatted to Fat32, and the rest formatted in Linux Ext4 (I think) partition. Here comes the tricky part, to be able to use your SSD for your media storage you have to repartition the big Ext4 partition to two, a small one about 32-64Gb for Coreelec Storage, and the rest for your media files. This can be done on a Linux machine, or directly on N2 -> look here how I did it.

My advice is first use an 16-32-64 Gb USB Stick to see how it works without the need to repartition/resize Ext4 partition. Just update Petitboot if needed, and remove eMMC, flip SPI switch to left position, plugin USB stick and power on N2. The installation should go though without any hiccups...

Many thanks for this
For anyone considering the N2 in 2023, it appears that CoreElec are dropping support for it with the next major version as they rely on an old kernel with proprietary blobs and the chipset developer seems to have a release and forget support process, so Kodi 21 based builds will not be available at least from the official releases.

It seems its possible to boot Libreelec on the N2 which uses the purely open source mainline kernel, but it seems efforts to develop open source versions of the proprietary drivers for video decoding have stalled so it can only do software decoding for some formats and as a result can't currently support 4K HVEC. Its unclear if any devs will step up and finish the decoder work which as an N2 owner is a bit of a downer and has made me reticent to invest in platforms not supported by mainline linux in future.
Hopefully we will still get libreelec and coreelec builds for a while. RK3588 boards are looking pretty good with good linux and android drivers. TBH after trying cheaper coreelec compatible aliexpress boards I don't think the odroid n2+ is the best value for the buck. It's nice you can swap out the emmc though.
I don't know if Kodi has really progressed that much over the last couple of major versions if you just use it as a media player with local content and scrape data offline with Ember Media Manager. In that sense, my N2 will probably see a year or two at least unless it decides to break down.
I currently have a minix U9 (Android) with Kodi Matrix and a 4TB HDD for local content storage.

Thinking of getting ODROID-N2+ 4GB CoreELEC Edition with 64GB eMMC. 

​​​​​Is this a good move? Was considering the 128 GB eMMC but think this might be overkill?
128gb is probably overkill for just a install and cover art. 32 gigabytes can fit a really large library. You can also insert a sd card to increase the storage for other stuff.
  • 62(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel4