• 7(current)
Android fire tv vs shield tv vs other boxes
(2023-03-07, 19:56)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2023-03-07, 18:45)jepsizofye Wrote: when using a server solution such as mezzmo the library on the client side (kodi) is always setup and ready to go, no sources, scrapers, artwork, scanning, etc

I have never heard of Mezzmo, much less used it...  My biggest complaint of using a PC as my media player, is the input controller.  I have not found anything that is perfect for it.  I have a multitude of input devices, IR remotes, RF remotes, mini Keyboards, standard wireless keyboard and mouse, etc, but not very eloquent  to use for a PC connected to a TV.

Also, sometimes I don't get the HD audio codecs to passthrough, then back to trouble shooting.  Same for the HDR video codecs, sometimes they don't work, back to trouble shooting again.   Now that I am getting old and forgetting how to *** fix *** different issues, I am resorting to simplicity.  the KISS method (keep it simple stupid).

I have even begun to hate NAS's, because when they have issues, it is a pain to **** fix  **** them.   The best simple file server I have is a Beelink GS King X that supports two 16TBs drives internally.  It is an Android based device, and I am using CoreELEC on that device to make file sharing easier.  I would purchase another one, but they are no longer available.  

That is my story on why I do not use my Mini PC that is connected to my my setup, as a media center/player.  These cheap media players, are soooo much easier to use and from what I can tell do everything a HTPC can do, but much simpler.  Back in the olden days, a $10k PC running Windows 7, was the only way to watch your media, including watching live and recorded OTA television.  But those days are gone for me, I have moved on.

As was mentioned by @jepsizofye , Mezzmo is similar to Jellyfin as a central media server.  Windows is just used for the Mezzmo server not the clients.  The clients are Kodi, any flavor you want and it doesn't have the limitations that some solutions do of only being able to share watched statues, media, artwork and such to the same version of Kodi.  The Mezzmo Kodi addon can run on any mix of Kodi 18, 20 and 20 and have 100% interoperability.  As mentioned I have clients on various flavors of Linux and Windows.  Many folks run on android clients including the nVidia boxes.  One thing I like is that the Mezzmo Kodi client can totally rebuild a Kodi client.  In fact the Mezzmo Kodi addon totally rebuilds the Kodi client database on each client every night.  If I blow up a client, I simply install Kodi, install the addon and it syncs everything up automatically.  I have pretty much zero maintenance.  That keeps the family happy and less work for me..

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
(2023-03-07, 23:13)ontap Wrote: @clarkss12   I might have missed it if you have already said , but what exactly is your "CoreELEC box ?
I worded this badly , I mean which android box are you using to run coreelec on?

Right now, I am running CoreELEC on a Beelink GS Kings (Amlogic S922X-H), Beelink GT1 Mini 2 (Amlogic S905X3) and newest HK1 Rbox X4.  I have retired several Android boxes running OpenELEC, LibreELEC, and CoreELEC.
(2023-03-08, 00:57)jbinkley60 Wrote:
(2023-03-07, 19:56)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2023-03-07, 18:45)jepsizofye Wrote: when using a server solution such as mezzmo the library on the client side (kodi) is always setup and ready to go, no sources, scrapers, artwork, scanning, etc

I have never heard of Mezzmo, much less used it...  My biggest complaint of using a PC as my media player, is the input controller.  I have not found anything that is perfect for it.  I have a multitude of input devices, IR remotes, RF remotes, mini Keyboards, standard wireless keyboard and mouse, etc, but not very eloquent  to use for a PC connected to a TV.

Also, sometimes I don't get the HD audio codecs to passthrough, then back to trouble shooting.  Same for the HDR video codecs, sometimes they don't work, back to trouble shooting again.   Now that I am getting old and forgetting how to *** fix *** different issues, I am resorting to simplicity.  the KISS method (keep it simple stupid).

I have even begun to hate NAS's, because when they have issues, it is a pain to **** fix  **** them.   The best simple file server I have is a Beelink GS King X that supports two 16TBs drives internally.  It is an Android based device, and I am using CoreELEC on that device to make file sharing easier.  I would purchase another one, but they are no longer available.  

That is my story on why I do not use my Mini PC that is connected to my my setup, as a media center/player.  These cheap media players, are soooo much easier to use and from what I can tell do everything a HTPC can do, but much simpler.  Back in the olden days, a $10k PC running Windows 7, was the only way to watch your media, including watching live and recorded OTA television.  But those days are gone for me, I have moved on.

As was mentioned by @jepsizofye , Mezzmo is similar to Jellyfin as a central media server.  Windows is just used for the Mezzmo server not the clients.  The clients are Kodi, any flavor you want and it doesn't have the limitations that some solutions do of only being able to share watched statues, media, artwork and such to the same version of Kodi.  The Mezzmo Kodi addon can run on any mix of Kodi 18, 20 and 20 and have 100% interoperability.  As mentioned I have clients on various flavors of Linux and Windows.  Many folks run on android clients including the nVidia boxes.  One thing I like is that the Mezzmo Kodi client can totally rebuild a Kodi client.  In fact the Mezzmo Kodi addon totally rebuilds the Kodi client database on each client every night.  If I blow up a client, I simply install Kodi, install the addon and it syncs everything up automatically.  I have pretty much zero maintenance.  That keeps the family happy and less work for me..

Jeff
Thank you, I may take a look at Mezzmo.  But to clarify, the Mezzmo server is Windows only??
(2023-03-07, 23:13)ontap Wrote: @clarkss12   I might have missed it if you have already said , but what exactly is your "CoreELEC box ?
I worded this badly , I mean which android box are you using to run coreelec on?

I installed CoreELEC onto my HK1 Rbox X4 back in May.  It was missing some features back then, but the CE dev's have created almost a perfect media player from that inexpensive device.  Here is the thread that I started about that box.  Remember, I have been using these inexpensive Android boxes/sticks for about 10 years, now.  I was running OpenELEC on a $30 USD Android stick for an all in one DVR, using Tvheadend, several years ago.  It also was my main media player for all of my media, of course, back then DVD with Dolby Digital, was the cutting edge of media formats.
https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/report-...x-x4/18603
(2023-03-08, 02:40)clarkss12 Wrote: Thank you, I may take a look at Mezzmo.  But to clarify, the Mezzmo server is Windows only??

Yes, that is one limitation of Mezzmo, the server only runs on Windows.  I find the benefits far outweigh this, for folks who prefer not to have Windows.   It can run in a virtual machine under a Linux host.  I author the Mezzmo Kodi addon and can answer any questions on functionality.  My goals are automation, minimal Kodi addons, no other addon dependencies and bulletproof operation. 

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
Mezzmo sounds interesting. Can it still point to sources on NAS-es?
(2023-03-09, 00:36)hdmkv Wrote: Mezzmo sounds interesting. Can it still point to sources on NAS-es?

Sorry for the delay responding, I missed your post.  Absolutely and  it has a virtual library / folder support which can span multiple NAS, local folders or both.  This link on How it Works is a good starting point for understanding and this link in particular on managing storage.  If you have questions or feedback on the Wiki let me know.  I maintain it and try to put as much information as possible on it.

Thanks,

Jeff
Great, thanks.
(2023-03-12, 17:18)jbinkley60 Wrote:
(2023-03-09, 00:36)hdmkv Wrote: Mezzmo sounds interesting. Can it still point to sources on NAS-es?

Sorry for the delay responding, I missed your post.  Absolutely and  it has a virtual library / folder support which can span multiple NAS, local folders or both.  This link on How it Works is a good starting point for understanding and this link in particular on managing storage.  If you have questions or feedback on the Wiki let me know.  I maintain it and try to put as much information as possible on it.

Thanks,

Jeff

It appears that Mezzmo server cost $30 USD, is this correct?
(2023-03-12, 17:18)jbinkley60 Wrote:

Thanks,

Jeff
Where is the Mezzmo Kodi addon??  I can't find the zip file.
(2023-03-13, 01:13)clarkss12 Wrote: It appears that Mezzmo server cost $30 USD, is this correct?

I believe the pro version costs that as a one time charge but the regular version is free.  The features that most folks are likely to use with Kodi should be in the free version.  There are a few features folks may want in the Pro version but that is likely a later choice.  Here's a table I found on the Mezzmo website with the comparison.

Thanks,

Jeff
(2023-03-13, 01:49)clarkss12 Wrote: Where is the Mezzmo Kodi addon??  I can't find the zip file.

You can download it directly here .  The installation instructions and download link are also in the Wiki.

Jeff
(2023-03-13, 01:56)jbinkley60 Wrote:
(2023-03-13, 01:49)clarkss12 Wrote: Where is the Mezzmo Kodi addon??  I can't find the zip file.

You can download it directly here .  The installation instructions and download link are also in the Wiki.

Jeff

I found it, I just had to read the instructions.  I installed the server on my desktop computer, just for testing. Now I will install addon on my CoreELEC box and test it.
(2023-03-13, 01:56)jbinkley60 Wrote:

Jeff

I just tried to install onto my CoreELEC box running Nexus, but it failed to install.
(2023-03-13, 02:11)clarkss12 Wrote: I just tried to install onto my CoreELEC box running Nexus, but it failed to install.

Make sure you install the Kodi 19+ version which supports Nexus. If you get an error, please post a log.

Thanks,

Jeff
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
fire tv vs shield tv vs other boxes0