New installation on Windows 10 network: drives and directories query
Following on from my earlier query about the media HDD of my HTPC not showing up where I expected it when I was trying to add it as a source, I checked the installation in the network settings of my main (Windows 10) desktop machine.  This is the result:

LIBREELEC-HTPC is, unsurprisingly, the HTPC.  It holds  an SSD (SSD LibreELEC) containing LibreELEC/Kodi (and no other operating system) and a hard drive (HDD Media Files) with all the films, TV and other stuff in the appropriate directories. 

I'm surprised to see that the listing doesn't name the SSD at all and puts the HDD as just another directory.   Is this usual?  Thanks.
because it's linux and not windows it mounts drives to folders and not so much "C: D: E: F:" like windows

not sure what you were expecting to see, it's not clear

this is how it's designed by the libreelec team
(2023-03-18, 19:44)jepsizofye Wrote: Not sure what you were expecting to see, it's not clear.
(2023-03-18, 19:44)jepsizofye Wrote:  
Thanks for explaining that.  I'm too accustomed to Windows and was expecting to see each drive listed as a separate item, with their respective directories and files arrayed under each heading.  As in this Wiki image:

Does that explain what I meant?
that's how it works, if you need to mount smb share, then it will have a drive letter
Thanks.  I'm not really up on SMB sharing.  I'll investigate.
not on libreelec, you just select the folder containing your files as source. IF you want to access them from a windows machine, you need to mount the SMB share
ok since you want to live in a windows world try this...

pretend you have 1 very very large hard drive, it is drive C:

when in linux, everything is under 1 path

so if you wanted to add Movies on windows, you would go to the folder C:\Movies even though C:\windows is the operating system and C:\Profiles is user data, programs live in C:\Program Files and so on

if you pretend this is windows with 1 single drive, the same can be applied, /home/user is your profiles, /bin /sbin /usr/sbin serve as operating system and program files folders

your movies would be in /Movies and if you wanted to share only that folder you would mount \\<libre ip>\Movies the same as if you shared that folder from windows

as long as you think of it as 1 giant drive you should see how things are relatable to windows
(2023-03-18, 20:07)wsnipex Wrote: not on libreelec, you just select the folder containing your files as source. IF you want to access them from a windows machine, you need to mount the SMB share
Thanks.  As things are at the moment, I can access the hard drive from my Windows machine and can transfer files both ways, so I think I'll leave that well alone.
(2023-03-18, 20:13)jepsizofye Wrote: ok since you want to live in a windows world try this...
It's not so much want to as have to, for most of the time at least.  But that does make it clearer, thanks.  As I said I was really only thrown because what I was seeing didn't accord with the images and description in the Wiki.  Now that I've established that what I'm working with is correct I'll go ahead and try adding the media files to the library.  In the past, with a different HTPC (but pretty much the same setup) I've had very variable results so it will be interesting to see what happens this time.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New installation on Windows 10 network: drives and directories query0