How to upload a folder to ATV2,XBMC
Star 
Hello,

I got a private message someone wants to know how to upload a folder in to your ATV2, XBMC. "jailbroken"
Specifically, a folder that has a bunch of .strm files, becuase .strm file has a byte "small" size.

These steps form A-Z, for people who have Windows OS , Not Mac. Using winSCP.

1- Create a folder on your computer , call it "Channels" or whatever you want.

2- Go to this website http://thestreamdb.com/, and download the .strm files "channels" that you want, to your folder "Channels".
So after you assembled/downloaded the .strm files

3- Get the IP Address of your ATV2. To do so navigate to Settings > General > Network.

4- Download WinSCP from here http://winscp.net/download/winscp435setup.exe , to access/ssh your ATV2.

5- Lunch WinSCP, and Do exactly like the picture below.
Host Name: Your IP Address, Not the one below.
User name: root
Password: alpine

6- Type alpine again, OK. For first time you will get a message click Yes.

7- WinSCP window shows up, the left side is your computer , and the right side is your ATV2.
8- In the left side, navigate to the place where you created the folder "Channels" in your computer.
9- In the right side, first navigate to the folder "var" in your ATV2.

continue >>
10- After "var", navigate to "mobile".

11- After "mobile", navigate to "Media". The whole path should be like this /private/var/mobile/Media
Why I have picked up this path, because is the default path of your ATV2 and easy to navigate there. You will see it next

12- Now Drag and Drop the "Channels" folder from the left side to the right side .

13- You will get a copy message , click Copy

14- Done copying , close WinSCP

This section below shows how to add source "folder" in XBMC.

1- Run XBMC, navigate to "Video">>"files"

continue >>
2- Choose "Add Video"

3- Choose "Browse"

4- Choose "Home folder", the default path of ATV2.

5- Choose "Media"

6- Then you will see "Channels" folder click on it. when you accesed to it, you will see nothing , it's ok.
**From the remote control press the left arrow, so you can move to "OK" button and cilck on it. Done.

7- Go back to "Video">> "files" and you will see it there. Click on it
8- All the .strm files in "Channels" folder are listed.

9- Click on any .strm , wait a few seconds to load . Enjoy Watching
I will be glad to answer any question.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
You are the best!!

I will try this tonight
Thank you so much
Only suggestion I have is it's best practice to use the

username: mobile
password: alpine

when adding things to the /var/mobile/ and all it's subdirectory.

That ensure the proper ownership/permission get set.

XBMC runs as the mobile user. So when uploading files as the root user, XBMC may be prevented from manipulating the file.

So, it's a good idea to get into using the mobile account where appropriate. Otherwise, we get threads popping up with users using the root account for everything, and then wondering why XBMC start behaving strangely.

Thanks for the writeup and sharing. Good info there on how to use WinSCP to transfer files over to the ATV2.
RuiJay Wrote:You are the best!!

I will try this tonight
Thank you so much

You are welcome anytime .. just let me know if you need any further help.

As dazex said, in the username field type "mobile" instead of "root" so you can move direct to the mobile folder.

If you get a message says "Access Denied" , use "root" again, cuz i tried to transfer files and it denied me.
dazex Wrote:Only suggestion I have is it's best practice to use the

XBMC runs as the mobile user. So when uploading files as the root user, XBMC may be prevented from manipulating the file.

So, it's a good idea to get into using the mobile account where appropriate. Otherwise, we get threads popping up with users using the root account for everything, and then wondering why XBMC start behaving strangely.

Thanks for the writeup and sharing. Good info there on how to use WinSCP to transfer files over to the ATV2.

WoW, i haven't know that . Great suggestion from you. Thanks a lot
mobile/alpine worked for me! Great suggestion.

Thanks again Medo for the efforts!! I now can quickly launch my favorite streams Smile
A good walk through for those who do not know

BUT,

If you use filezilla , it is available on every platform and this one how-to would be the same for Windows/Mac/Linux

Just a thought

Just curious why there is no SMB for ATV2 to date
(2011-10-14, 23:20)medo.alyami Wrote: 2- Choose "Add Video"

3- Choose "Browse"

4- Choose "Home folder", the default path of ATV2.

5- Choose "Media"

6- Then you will see "Channels" folder click on it. when you accesed to it, you will see nothing , it's ok.
**From the remote control press the left arrow, so you can move to "OK" button and cilck on it. Done.

7- Go back to "Video">> "files" and you will see it there. Click on it
8- All the .strm files in "Channels" folder are listed.

9- Click on any .strm , wait a few seconds to load . Enjoy Watching
I will be glad to answer any question.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

(2011-10-17, 16:57)dazex Wrote: Only suggestion I have is it's best practice to use the

Hi
I noticed you did one so wonderful for PC. How do you add .strm files using a mac? And this is loading them onto ATV2. Also lm not having any luck in finding the URL for this website http://3abn.org/media/3abn-broadcast-generic/

thanks

Use pretty much the same instructions, but use something like Cyberduck (wiki) in place of WinSCP. Make sure to select "SFTP" in Cyberduck.
perfect thanks l can follow that part. Two more questions.

I have been creating .strm files by renaming a text doc. And then copy and past the url of the media(website) l want to play onto the doc. I haven't had much luck in figuring out the url. How do l get that? Also when upload the .strm file into cyberduck it and l try to open it on ATV2 l can't see it. Can you help?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to upload a folder to ATV2,XBMC0