Advanced caching / buffering for a SSD + HDD setup
Hi,

I use XBMC on a windows machine for some time and I am more or less happy with it. As my HTPC is right in my living room I spent some effort on reducing the noise (CPU cooler, case cooler) and was rather successful.

The noisiest part now are the two harddsics.

My idea is to purchase a Solid State Drive (SSD) for the system partition and stick to the large cheap regular Harddisks for the Media Files. (I cannot afford purchasing SSD's for all the media files ;-)

Now I would need a feature that allows me when I start playing a movie to automaticially cache the (potentially large) file on the SSD and then power down the harddisk. It would need to specify a cache path and XBMC would need to try to cache the whole file in advance, so that powering down the Harddiscs makes sense.

Is something planned in XMBC? (Or even already there and I just didn't find it?)

Best regards,
Mike
certainly nothing planned, and imo this is a waste of effort. write yourself a script.
Use a network attached HardDisk placed in a'nother room. This is more effektive
I only have WLAN at my TV set. Watching HD movies over WLAN is not an option.
mischl7 Wrote:I only have WLAN at my TV set. Watching HD movies over WLAN is not an option.

Then get a better setup or use .11n in the 5GHz range, which should have very little interference, and will be able to handle the streaming. This is a fairly useless option.
Actually an add-on / skin function that copies files in a queue from Nas to local disk would be a better solution than increase buffing when using wifi and it will perhaps also fix this.

I suggested this in the nice buffering thread (please dont wake that one)

What is needed is of course a sync setup and a change to skin "make available offline" that put media in the sync queue.

also suggested here
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=99970
vikjon0 Wrote:Actually an add-on / skin function that copies files in a queue from Nas to local disk would be a better solution than increase buffing when using wifi and it will perhaps also fix this.

What happened to that idea vikjon0? I think that would do the job.
Quote:What happened to that idea vikjon0? I think that would do the job.
Well, the problem is to find a developer that is interested. If you have a good enough network you wouldnt bother.

I gather most xbmc developers focus mostly on functionality they want for them self. Which means arguments does not biteSmile

For my own part...this is probably something I could manage to do..but the priority is low right now. I really dream about wired network as soon as I move! Besides I am mostly into TV series with low enough resolution to be handled by a good wifi card + good router.

Your specific application is too narrow I think to get much attention. I guess the improvement you will get is not worth the effort. get a quite & slow (5400 rpm) disk and change the mountings to rubber and live with itSmile. Or get a NAS
Ok, thanks for your answers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advanced caching / buffering for a SSD + HDD setup0