updating library without restart?
Question 
I'm very new to XBMC and so far I like what I see. I run Windows Vista, XBMC 10.1, Neon skin, in case that helps with my problems.

The two thing I haven't yet figured out are:

1. How to get it to refresh the tv show list when I add files to that folder
  2. How to get it to show movies in sub folders

The first issue is that when my downloader (a remote linux box) puts a new show into the tv folder, it doesn't just show up in XBMC right away. It will if I close the program and open it again - but I really NEVER restart the program; it runs on a computer that has no keyboard or mouse and only runs the TV. I noticed that different skins seem to offer different tools, and I use the Neon skin. I also played around looking for a "plug in" that refreshes things for me, but didn't really know what to look for... I looked around here on the XBMC site and read the advancedsettings.xml file but didn't see an obvious choice about an auto-refresh tool, and I'm not really sure what I'm looking for with "scripts" that some people talk about.

The second issue is that my movie collection folder is organised as one big list of all the movies and they are not all in sub folders. Movies that are made up of more than one file (e.g. cd1, cd2, cd3 etc) are in folders; movies that are only a single file are all in the main folder itself. I can see all the "main" movies but not the ones in sub-folders. Is this a known thing?

Any tips or links to previous posts on this matter would be appreciated.
1 - You can either press "C" in files and select "scan for new content" or "C" in library and choose "Update Library" you can also have "Update Library" on a remote key

There is also a addon in addons that will run Update Library at time intervals your find it in

Addons > Get Addons > XBMC.org Addons > Program Addons, XBMC Library Auto Update

2 - You need to select "Scan recursively" in "Set Content"
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
or you can by editing the keymap.xml sett one of the buttons
on your remote to to a library update of either videos or music, i have done
that and it's real easy to achieve.
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
>>X<<' Wrote:1 - You can either press "C" in files and select "scan for new content" or "C" in library and choose "Update Library" you can also have "Update Library" on a remote key

There is also a addon in addons that will run Update Library at time intervals your find it in

Addons > Get Addons > XBMC.org Addons > Program Addons, XBMC Library Auto Update

2 - You need to select "Scan recursively" in "Set Content"

1. I don't have a keyboard on the pc, so I can't really do that.

Addon: I installed it, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Unfortunately the on-screen instructions about moving a file to an autoexec.py didn't say how to do that, or where I could get help.

2. Where is that option? Is that one of the ones that when you are FIRST setting up you have to know to select and then can't ever get back to a second time to change (e.g. in the "add source" screen).

The-Boxhead Wrote:or you can by editing the keymap.xml sett one of the buttons
on your remote to to a library update of either videos or music, i have done
that and it's real easy to achieve.

easy if you are not new to the program, probably. I have no idea what this means. I have the MCE remote. You can't change button maps and it's not an "normal" remote (according to my technical friend) so it "doesn't use Girder or anything" (his words). How can I find out what a key name is so that I can map it?
Quote:1. I don't have a keyboard on the pc, so I can't really do that.

Context menu can also be accessed by a right mouse click, or you can edit keyboard.xml in your usedata folder to map a key to your remote. Search the wiki for details on editing keybaord.xml. There are a few long threads in the forum about how to set up an MCE remote to work with XBMC. Look into these first.

Quote:2. Where is that option? Is that one of the ones that when you are FIRST setting up you have to know to select and then can't ever get back to a second time to change (e.g. in the "add source" screen).

When you are in file mode (i.e. deselect library mode) via the context menu again ('C', right mouse, key bound to your remote) you have the option to 'edit source' and you can set the scan recursively option for your movie source.

Quote:Addon: I installed it, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Unfortunately the on-screen instructions about moving a file to an autoexec.py didn't say how to do that, or where I could get help.

Not sure on this but from looking at the info you need to move the autoexec.py to your userdata folder (%appdata%/XBMC/Userdata in vista). Look at the wiki for the location of the userdata folder and how to get scripts to work
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
To edit keymaps for the remote u must locate the file:
xbmc\userdata\keymaps\remote.xml
Open it in notepad and find the section:
<keymap>
<global>
<remote>

In my remote i have done this:
Code:
<zero>RestartApp</zero>
      <one>UpdateAddonRepos</one>
      <two>UpdateLibrary(video)</two>
      <three>VolumeUp</three>
      <four>UpdateLibrary(music)</four>
      <five>CleanLibrary(video)</five>
      <six>VolumeDown</six>
      <seven>CleanLibrary(music)</seven>
      <eight>JumpSMS8</eight>
      <nine>Mute</nine>

To explain it further, i have added the built in function "UpdateLibrary(video)" to the button "2" on my remote. You can offcourse choose to map that function to any button you like on your remote. since you have an mce remote you have more buttons than me Wink
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
frumbert Wrote:1. I don't have a keyboard on the pc, so I can't really do that.

Addon: I installed it, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Unfortunately the on-screen instructions about moving a file to an autoexec.py didn't say how to do that, or where I could get help.

2. Where is that option? Is that one of the ones that when you are FIRST setting up you have to know to select and then can't ever get back to a second time to change (e.g. in the "add source" screen).

Its a program addon that means it gets installed to programs, in Confluence go to "Programs" in the main menu and you see it in there if you select it then it will update and start the addon to configure it press "C" on your keyboard when its highlighted

Go into files and press "C" when your on your source and select "Set Content"

Think your trying to run before you can walk Eek
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
I think I always run before I walk Smile ; still, the whole "getting set up" experience has been a significantly more pleasant experience with XBMC than with any other media centre experience I've tried (vmc, sage, myth, many others). If it turns out this is my only problem then I'm very happy.

Thanks to all the other helpful replies in this thread, I'm confident that I can work it out now!
you mention your linux box is the one sending content...

Code:
#!/usr/bin/python

import urllib
urllib.urlopen("http://192.168.1.12:8080/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=ExecBuiltIn(UpdateLibrary(video))").close()
exit(0)
save this file as .py
make sure to chmod +x so its executable.
replace the 192.168.1.12 with your xbmc box ip, and obviously set the port. this works if you dont have any user/password setup.

you can either run this script using a crontab timer, or you can set it up to be run however else you want. using a crontab is a blind update so i did not like this option. i set it up to run with sabnzbd whenever it grabs a tv show/etc.

regardless, theres an option.
iOS XBMC users PLEASE use the advanced search function before starting a new thread. Make sure to click on 'XBMC for iOS Specific Support' so your results are narrowed down correctly.

Please make sure to visit the Sticky section for common issues/questions/etc. Also, XBMC for iOS information
(2011-04-27, 05:16)iLLNESS Wrote: you mention your linux box is the one sending content...
Code:
#!/usr/bin/python

import urllib
urllib.urlopen("http://192.168.1.12:8080/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=ExecBuiltIn(UpdateLibrary(video))").close()
exit(0)
save this file as .py
make sure to chmod +x so its executable.
replace the 192.168.1.12 with your xbmc box ip, and obviously set the port. this works if you dont have any user/password setup.

you can either run this script using a crontab timer, or you can set it up to be run however else you want. using a crontab is a blind update so i did not like this option. i set it up to run with sabnzbd whenever it grabs a tv show/etc.

regardless, theres an option.  
 I have been searching for a way to update my video library via hotkey in kodi, I was unable to find a solution so I thought i would try this script but it does not seem to work

seems the address /xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp is no longer valid with the latest kodi?

currently I have kodi set to scan my library on every start, but it would be great if I could configure a hotkey / button press to do this instead of rebooting kodi.
Hi xekon

This is a six year thread using XBMC paths instead of Kodi, so doubtful it would work.

An easier way is to install the Keymap Editor here... https://kodi.tv/addon/scripts/keymap-editor

Map one of your keys with the Video Library Update function...

Hope that helps
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
And on second thoughts, restarting the hardware so you can update the library is pretty extreme, and makes me wonder if you are aware of the Update Library function in the Sideblade menu... http://kodi.wiki/view/Home_screen_and_ba...blade_Menu

You might want to read that whole page so you become familiar with the controls and menus
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2018-01-20, 05:09)xekon Wrote:  I have been searching for a way to update my video library via hotkey in kodi, I was unable to find a solution so I thought i would try this script but it does not seem to work

seems the address /xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp is no longer valid with the latest kodi?

currently I have kodi set to scan my library on every start, but it would be great if I could configure a hotkey / button press to do this instead of rebooting kodi.

What you need to do is map UpdateLibrary(video) to a key, see http://kodi.wiki/view/Keymaps

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
updating library without restart?0