• 5(current)
Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)?
Well now that XBMC has native myth:// protocol support and folks are using XBMC to watch not only movies but also TV shows, I'd like to throw my hat in the ring in favor of timestretch as well.

Some TV shows like Motorweek and Woodsmith Shop go sooooo slllllowwwww they they are unwatchably boring unless played at 1.5X. I've used timestretch on Myth on basically every TV show I've watched for years now, but since Myth doesn't support my shiny new Raspberry Pi, I'm looking to switch to XBMC for my frontend. However I'll really miss timestretch, so please, reconsider adding this feature!
All - I've been lurking a while and am now avidly involved in getting an HTPC environment setup at home. I want XBMC - Mac OSX, Raspberry Pi, OpenElec - and I believe I can make it work for my family (not just for me the tech savvy of the crew). MythTV provides the features I need - but the interface isn't as clean as XBMC.

However, beyond that, there are some key features - and faster playback with sound is one key component. Consider a typical weekly series. Using faster playback and skipping commercials, I can get through it in 40 minutes instead of an hour. Time is important to me and mine.

Can I throw my energy into XBMC or should I put effort into getting MythTV frontend up to a comparable level?

I should think the XBMC/RPi/OpenElec/PVR fusion should be sensitive to this.

Please, show me how to get fast playback in XBMC.
personally i use to do this with other software when i came home for lunch. only had about 20 minutes, and wanted to watch a 24 minute episode of say seinfeld.

i had seen it before, it wasnt a huge movie i needed to "savor", but something i wanted to watch a little quicker because of time restraints.

so I would also find this useful, i wouldnt use it all the time, but would use it none the less. it does have its uses. only use to watch it at about 1.2x speed and sounded fine.
This is an old thread, but speeding up playback is an excellent idea. Specifically when it pertains to training video's like cisco. Refreshing from video's at 1.5 speed takes much less time to watch and refresh your memory on information you need to learn or refresh your memory.

I do this all the time with other players, audio.
I don't understand the hate in this thread. There is really no need for people who want this feature to justify *why* they want it. It is obviously useful in a variety of situations. I imagine the problem is that the coders are not personally interested (after all, we're not *paying* them), and/or they aren't sure how they would integrate the feature into the GUI in a simple way. VLC may help here, being generally awesome, but a train-wreck from a UI standpoint. I'd work on this myself if I had the time, but if it is true that the maintainers are fundamentally opposed to it (which I can't imagine), it may be a waste of time if they refuse the code.
I second the "I'd work on this if i had the time (and a clue)". Doesn't give us any benefits - but i thought i say it nevertheless...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
This exact feature is the only thing holding me in a myth frontend today. I watch all shows at 1.5x and my time is too valuable to slowly sit through a 60 minute show that could be watched in 40 minutes. I've used this feature in mythfrontend for years. Hopefully someone will figure it out eventually as I really like what XBMC has to offer.
Holy crap, are people actually watching TV all sped up like that? Stop. Drinking. Coffee.
I'm against this feature, I have a pretty good idea what will happen.
Watching boring proffesors @ 2x on big screen tv is a bad idea,
run vlc on your laptop and puts some headphones, I've done it and (unfortunately) still do,
don't let the normal people (unfortunately not me) suffer.
I would really like to have this feature too, especially for watching documentary-type content. I use AVPlayer on iOS which has this and it is really useful.
(2013-03-11, 02:46)madhusker Wrote: This exact feature is the only thing holding me in a myth frontend today. I watch all shows at 1.5x and my time is too valuable to slowly sit through a 60 minute show that could be watched in 40 minutes. I've used this feature in mythfrontend for years. Hopefully someone will figure it out eventually as I really like what XBMC has to offer.

This made me laugh out loud, that you can watch shows at 1.5x, but fair play each to their own.
Oh man dude... once you go 1.5x you never go back.
I completelly agree with madhusker. Actualy, if PS3 isn't so limited about subtitles and media formats, I'd never stop watching videos on it, just because the 1.5x speed feature... Obviously, a movie is made to be seen on its own pace (the well directed ones, at least). But a TV show?!? Come on... The most of them are time limited (42 to 45 minutes) for the sake of advertisement. What the big issue if some people can think faster and have more entertainment in less time?
Right on! I never watch movies sped up, just stupid TV shows. Your brain can adapt to higher speeds very easily and pretty soon you don't even know it is sped up. My wife even complains now when we are at someone elses house and can't stand to watch "slow" TV with commercials. It's a killer! Smile

15,000+ views on this thread can't be wrong either. Tongue
The only thing meant to be watched at 1x5 speed is pr0n anyone who watches things at 1x5 speed besides pr0n and likes it should think about doing everything and sounding like a munchkin alll the time too.

15k views because some ppl like to read stupid things too.

uNi
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)?11