• 22(current)
Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)?
Just tried official Krypton release. Hope these will be addressed in the future.

(2016-12-01, 18:39)18000rpm Wrote: A few issues with the feature that hopefully will be improved:

1. The "fast forward" UI never goes away.
2. When you pause and continue it goes back to 1X speed.
3. Jump/skip does not work reliably in high speed playback.
4. Only goes to maximum 1.5X.
(2016-12-01, 18:39)18000rpm Wrote: 1. The "fast forward" UI never goes away.

I have noticed this in a few skins, but the official Estuary skin does not have this issue.

(2016-12-01, 18:39)18000rpm Wrote: 2. When you pause and continue it goes back to 1X speed.

These two are really killers to making this feature really ready for prime-time. On number 2, you're playing at a higher-than-1x speed and you push pause, and instead of pausing, you're kicked back to 1x speed play, and you have to push pause again to *actually* get it to pause. Really takes you out of the flow.

On number 3, I have to back down to 1x before I can try to skip forward, or the whole thing just freezes and I have to push stop to get out of playback altogether.

I agree with 18000rpm that squashing these bugs would go a long way in smoothing out the user experience.
(2016-12-01, 02:13)Landstander Wrote: Can you edit keymaps when the device is an android TV?

Yes, you can. You will want to plug in a USB keyboard and install ES File Explorer (or similar) from the Play store.
[Refer to the official documentation on installing the keymap editor addon and setting keymaps.]

1. Set keymaps to your remote for any functions/buttons not currently mapped. I used BigStepForward and BigStepBackward for both FullScreenVideo and Video Playback (as above), since they were not mapped and I have spare buttons on my universal remote.
2. Use ES File Explorer to navigate to the keymaps file, open it, and change both occurrences of BigStepForward to "PlayerControl(tempoup)" and both occurrences of BigStepBackward to "PlayerControl(tempodown)".
3. Save the keymaps file and return to Kodi. The buttons that you mapped will now perform tempo actions instead of BSF & BSB.

For me, TempoUp was stable all the way to 1.5x, but not really watchable. The fastest practical tempo was 1.2x. Your mileage may vary.
(2016-12-01, 18:39)18000rpm Wrote: A few issues with the feature that hopefully will be improved:

1. The "fast forward" UI never goes away.
2. When you pause and continue it goes back to 1X speed.
4. Only goes to maximum 1.5X.

I hope that those will also be addressed in the near future.
For me the most important thing is (#4) which is going more than 1.5x, since I sometimes watch shows almost up to 3x (for reviewing previous episodes of a show).
I agree that when a "tempo" is set, it should be retained until the playback is stopped (not paused) or the user returns playback to 1.0.

There does seem to be a bug with skip fwd/back doesn't work so you have to set playback to 1.0 first.

For me, 1.3 - 1.5 is the sweet spot for "rapid playback" so getting >1.5 tempo isn't an issue.

I have a skin issue with getting an animation to work when tempo is first set (1.1 or 0.9) and DialogSeekBar is launched, but that may just be my crappy skinning skills. (In that dialog when user changes tempo I show a label for a couple seconds that then fades out.)

scott s.
Currently playspeed is just a single variable that controls tempo and ff/rw. That's why tempo behaves like ff and rw. Maybe it makes sense to treat those two separately.
+1
I like how YouTube and VLC Media Play have the feature.

This is especially good for watching documentaries, training, how-to videos, TED Talks, and similar.

My workaround is to use an external media player, but then that begins to defeat the value of Kodi.
You didn't realise that the feature is already there by now. Its about optimisation the usage already...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Strange, this feature suddenly stopped working for me a few days ago. Anyone else has this problem? My keymap appears to have been loaded fine:

17:36:29.374 T:1308 INFO: Loading special://profile/keymaps/keyboard.xml

And here's my keymap:

<keymap>
<FullscreenVideo>
<keyboard>
<opensquarebracket>PlayerControl(tempodown)</opensquarebracket>
<closesquarebracket>PlayerControl(tempoup)</closesquarebracket>
</keyboard>
</FullscreenVideo>
<VideoMenu>
<keyboard>
<opensquarebracket>PlayerControl(tempodown)</opensquarebracket>
<closesquarebracket>PlayerControl(tempoup)</closesquarebracket>
</keyboard>
</VideoMenu>
</keymap>
(2017-04-17, 10:57)FernetMenta Wrote: Currently playspeed is just a single variable that controls tempo and ff/rw. That's why tempo behaves like ff and rw. Maybe it makes sense to treat those two separately.

Hi mate,

ive seen many implementations done exactly the same way where tempo is part of the ffw / rw and it works well.

when pressing ffw, it would just increment to 1.25x, 1.5x, 1.75x, 2x and then it jumps to the usual, 4x, 8x, 16x, 32x etc etc.

likewise in reverse, it would slow down to 0.75x, 0.5x, -2x, -4x, -8x, -16x, -32x etc etc.

the only difference is sound is still audible up to x2 in ffw, and 0.5x in rw.

might be an option to do it that way? then the standard ffw and rw buttons can be used rather than having to map separate key combinations to achieve the tempo?

Thanks
(2017-06-18, 14:55)tixx Wrote: ive seen many implementations done exactly the same way where tempo is part of the ffw / rw and it works well.

when pressing ffw, it would just increment to 1.25x, 1.5x, 1.75x, 2x and then it jumps to the usual, 4x, 8x, 16x, 32x etc etc.

This is not an ideal implementation because once you pause or go to some other UI it goes back to 1X speed.
Great player! I finally got this feature working on my client. Was really upset to find out it only goes to 1.5x. Really would like to go to 2x and 3x, sometimes 3.5x (i.e. hearthstone streams can be soooo slow). Is this being worked on to improve the speed?
I did some rework https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/12470

noteworthy:

- videoplayer keeps tempo after pause / resume
- min/max tempo speed can be set by platforms and at runtime (this is first step to expand range)
(2017-07-11, 19:20)FernetMenta Wrote: I did some rework https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/12470

Thank you so much FernetMenta for making this feature even more useful !
::  LibreELEC 9.2.6 RELEASE - Generic x86_64  ::  Intel 847 NUC  ::  KVR1333D3S9/4G  ::  Kingston SMS200S3/30G mSATA  ::  MS 1044 MCE keyboard  ::  GP-IR02BK remote  ::  Xonfluence  ::  10.9TiB on FreeNAS v11.3-U5 (RAID-Z2)  ::
(2017-07-11, 19:20)FernetMenta Wrote: I did some rework https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/12470

noteworthy:

- videoplayer keeps tempo after pause / resume
- min/max tempo speed can be set by platforms and at runtime (this is first step to expand range)

Look forward to this getting merged.

scott s.
  • 22(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)?11