• 3(current)
Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)?
I agree that this would be a highly useful feature as well. VLC does it out of the box, along with pitch shifting to correct for the chipmunk voice effect. I also use the same featureon the iPod/iPhone to get through long podcasts faster. Time is in universally short supply, and I guess some of us can process information faster than others - or don't mind missing some nuances. This would be a very welcome feature for me.
Is it possible for me to make this change by myself?
Can anyone point me to the place in the code where this thing is supposed to be. If this feature was in xbmc before, maybe I can enable it again?
Is it possible to do this feature with a plugin? in this case only people who want it can use it.
I'm not sure if xbmc is using the same library as vlc, but if it does, it should be possible to enable this feature like it is in vlc.
Can anyone point me to the right place?
Hi, I guess this isn't ideal but here's a possible workaround. Use VLC as the media player.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...a_playback
I just filed a feature request here:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/11022

For me this is a major feature. As it is already supported in MythTV, mplayer, VLC, PowerDVD and probably many others, I will keep sticking to those for now.
Hey guys,

In this day and age, time is scarce, so watching videos needs to sped up a little.

On the computer I watch all of my videos in VLC, which has a speed function.

This lets me watch most video at about 18% faster than normal. On a 1 hour show this is about a 10 minute saving. At 18% speed you can't really notice the difference in video/audio.

Is this something that could be implemented (relatively easily?), or something that others would be interested in?

Thanks!
This has been discussed before and the consensus is if you can't sit down and watch the show at the pace its meant to be watched, wait until when you actually can.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Such a time-saving feature could be further enhanced by something similar to commercial break detection. Skip all scenes where no dialogue or other important stuff is happening on the screen. Imagine how fast you could watch "2001: A Space Odyssey".
kolja Wrote:Such a time-saving feature could be further enhanced by something similar to commercial break detection. Skip all scenes where no dialogue or other important stuff is happening on the screen. Imagine how fast you could watch "2001: A Space Odyssey".

If you're going to just skip through bits of the movie, why bother watching it at all?
Thats the thing, at 18%-23%, you don't really notice the change in pace, and you save yourself about that same amount of time.

Sure the consensus is that I should wait until I have time, however there is nothing wrong with having the time to watch it, and it taking 20% less time.

I do have the time, but why not it be 20% shorter ?

Obviously not the same is true for songs, but this should be rather simple to implement as well ?

LOL at 2001 space odyssey.
bobo99 Wrote:Thats the thing, at 18%-23%, you don't really notice the change in pace, and you save yourself about that same amount of time.

Sure the consensus is that I should wait until I have time, however there is nothing wrong with having the time to watch it, and it taking 20% less time.

I do have the time, but why not it be 20% shorter ?

Obviously not the same is true for songs, but this should be rather simple to implement as well ?

LOL at 2001 space odyssey.

It is not a simple change, it would involve resampling the entire audio stream and something equal to video (as done on ff). It is IMO a really unnecessary feature which most likely something like 1% of the population will use. I am sure there exist a tool which resamples the video and audio for you which you can use. XBMC will most likely never include this feature. If you want to take a crack at it the source code exist and you can see how "easy" it is and you are more than welcome to put your patches on trac and who knows, perhaps they will get pulled in.

EDIT: AudioEngine will however make the resampling simpler but you still need to make the video player understand that you are not just simply fast forwarding.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
YodaEXE Wrote:If you're going to just skip through bits of the movie, why bother watching it at all?
My proposal wasn't meant serious. 2001 was an example of a movie which I really like and whose quality is also strongly related to its slowness.
Don't worry kolja! I got it Tongue

Thanks for the input topfs! Was worth a try!
There's already a thread about it. For now I just kill XBMC and use mplayer for watching documentaries and my online classes.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
I had a thought, why not just read a review of the video, that way you can really shorted the viewing speed. Imagine, you can watch a 2 hour movie in your mind in about 5 mins.
wouldn't everybody sound like a chipmunk?
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Speed up playback watching video (include 1.1x to 1.5x ffwd rate with audio)?11