How to open automatically external usb drives?
Hi.
In my htpc I have an internal hdd and an 4-drive-hdd-bay. They are all scraped in the video library.

But if I plug in another usb drive I always have to choose file mode to see the files.
Dont get me wrong I DONT want to scrape the content of this external drive! It just would be great if there is a message that a new drive is found and if I want to open it.

Or if xbmc opens this drive automatically in file mode.

Is this possible? Smile
sylvio2000 Wrote:..But if I plug in another usb drive I always have to choose file mode to see the files...

This I don't understand... Doesn't your windows just map the USB-drive to some letter automatically after pluging in? If it doesn't, there is seriously something wrong with the setup.. Is the Drive FAT32/NTFS?

edit: now I get it... With filemode you mean in Xbmc. Not in library mode... sorry. Smile=
Can't you add to "favourites" the link to it?
Of course the drive is mounted in windows and I can "see" it in XBMC. Wink

I just wanted to say that if I plug in an usb-drive which I dont have scraped, I always have to use the file mode, to see the content of this drive.
But in some skins, this can be a bit frustrating, because you have "click" often to get your way to the file mode (hope you understand my english).

I mean, it would raise the WAF if this drive would automatically open in file mode when I plug it in Nod
I dont know how to work with "favourites". I only get an empty window and dont know what to do Big Grin (I use Alaska skin)

How do all the guys handle external devices? Do you always use the file mode of XBMC? In XBMC there is an option to automatically start DVD, but not for other devices No
removable drives popped up in the past like it still does in the file manager.
Looks like the change to the new view mode causing this to fail.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
What do you mean with the new view mode?

Do you mean that this popup should only work in some specific view modes, if yes which one?

Is this a bug in XBMC?
we used to have a file and a database view for video and music. database showed only scrapped movies and file mode was just that. this confused people too much and therefore it was changed recently.
In file mode the usb devices popped up in database mode not. since we have now a mixed view (afaik) one has to look if it is a bug or not Big Grin
Not sure when I have the time to look into it.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
@sylvio2000 I'm no dev but I believe that was Jmarshalls work. Maybe you want to create a ticket on trac and CC him and WiSo.
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/11315
Seems nothing has changed with 11.0 Eden.Sad
Although the ticket seems to have fixed?

Is there no way to just inform the user if a new usb drive is plugged in?
Hello. I am back again Smile

Are there any news regarding my problem?

For now I am using Openelec 3. There if you plug in a new usb device you get a window "New media detected" and you can open it directly. Thats what I would like to have in XBMC.

I dont know what has changed in the last year maybe you already implemented it?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to open automatically external usb drives?0