• 3(current)
PAL videos stuttering on PAL Xbox/TV
hey

have the same probs, dvd streams are a bit better but somtimes its possible to detect stuttering threr as well.
espessially when paning over a crouded street ore something with a lot of video information changing. ...

recently i have started qustioning the hardware in my box..
maybe the internal clock is a bit off? maybe the gpu ore the cpu gets to hot?
could it be somthing with different video chips?

there has to be something in common with our boxes
because why does some people dont see this and some people not.. it's deffenetlty not bios version or mod chip type. i have used a xecuer lite 2.3b and a duox chip, both with different bioses...

kjetil
yeah i think we have the same issue.

though i have not tried stopping and restarting several times.
i will try playing them with xbmc and see if it is ok, if it is then we are most certainly are suffering from the same problem.

btw have you been using xbmc since its start?
i have been using for roughly 8 or 9 months and in all builds i have seen this ongoing occurance.
i'm not even using a modchip. i'm patching the ms kernel. so it is not an issue with the bios/chip at all.

i can't imagine it being the files, but we must wait for our samples to be checked.

it must be down to xbmc or mplayer.

p.s i too began to question the hardware of my xbox, i kept thinking that it was 'damaged' in some way, but i am reassured to hear that i am not the only one with this problem.

edit: btw ksn i also can't see it being a heat problem as i have turned the fan up to maximum and tried temperature control, so no problems there.
yesterday i tried the pal 60 option, had this enabled earlier but turned it off because i got blu vertical lines at the edges of my tv.

with pal60 on the stuttering seemd better, saw the sixt episode of 24 season 4 and could not se any faults. i'll have to see some more movies to be sertain that it's a solution.

the anoyng thing was the noice in the edges of my tv.
solution to this was to enter service mod on my tv.
here i increased the horisontal voltage which lead to a wider picture, pulling the blur outside wieveable area.

i dont think my tv is supposed to handle pal60 but this realy helped...

btw my tv is a panasonic from 95 or 96.

and fore the hardware issue i agree, i was most likly wrong on that matter. bropably the people which doesnt have this problem allready use pal60 ore running ntcs on their tv?
has any progress been made with mine or vood's problem yet?

(please don't take this as being rude, i'm just really anxious.)
@total_ass and vood, sorry it took so long, i've now tested the samples from both of you and i see no sign of stutter at all No ...all four samples where pal (@ 25 fps) and i tested both with old (1.1.0 point release) and latest cvs on my pal xbox / pal tv, tested both with pal60 and pal50
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
@total_ass and vood, sorry it took so long, i've now tested the samples from both of you and i see no sign of stutter at all No ...all four samples where pal (@ 25 fps) and i tested both with old (1.1.0 point release) and latest cvs on my pal xbox / pal tv, tested both with pal60 and pal50
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
maybe allready done, but try editing your mplayer.conf and set mc=0.001 ... Huh
Sad

thanks for looking. well that rules out the files being a problem, i hope that my xbox is not damaged.

i'll try changing mc=001 as the guy in the other topic said.
ok i tried mc setting, but no luck.

i tried playing a file in xbmp - same

i tried playing the file in ntsc mode - fine

i agree with vood and think this is a pal issue. no matter what i do it wont get fixed though, may i add that some files are fine, so it is not a hardware issue.

btw when playing in xbmp and bringing the osd info bar at the top i noticed it mentioned something about '2 frames being rendered early'. could this have something to do with it?

btw in xbmc with cache turned up to max, is it normal to have it running at 78% while playing?
(gamester17 @ jan. 27 2005,13:14 Wrote:@total_ass and vood, sorry it took so long, i've now tested the samples from both of you and i see no sign of stutter at all No ...all four  samples where pal (@ 25 fps) and i tested both with old (1.1.0 point release) and latest cvs on my pal xbox / pal tv, tested both with pal60 and pal50
did you read my "discovers" in my previous post?

anyway i can asure you every person i´ve met with a xbox has similar problems. maybe that stuttering level is considered normal for you.
let me know your opinion about my previous post (ac3 smooth, etc..) .
regards
(seb.26 @ jan. 27 2005,13:37 Wrote:maybe allready done, but try editing your mplayer.conf and set mc=0.001 ... Huh
no improvement at all Sad
vood

you are right
some people dont notice the stuttering at all.
i've several times asked my girfriend if she sees something wrong with the movie, she does not..
even though i explain what she should look for.

i belive my main problem was ntsc playback, enabled pal60 and that helped.. but i still see some stutter in pal movies in pal mode.

seb.26 gave me some clues in a different thread about droping frames if the cpu did not have time to decompress a frame before next next frame...

could this be it? because i do not notice stuttering if the frames are simular to each other... well maybe not just speculations..

also i remebered last box i added more ram to had a different spec on the mem chips.. read the data sheets for the chips and discovered that there where speed differences to the chips. but also this is speculations even though some boxes have faster mem chips the rest of the hardware would propably not be able to take advantage of it....

just some thoughts...
(total_ass @ jan. 27 2005,19:57 Wrote:btw when playing in xbmp and bringing the osd info bar at the top i noticed it mentioned something about '2 frames being rendered early'. could this have something to do with it?
no,it's normal, xbmc often (if not always) get that on the first few frames, if you study it you'll see that it only occur on the first frames (unless file is corrupt)

(total_ass @ jan. 27 2005,19:57 Wrote:cache turned up to max, is it normal to have it running at 78% while playing?
yes, that is also normal
bring up the osd (on screen display) and you'll see if any frames are dropped, i check yours total_ass sample file and no frames where dropped at all.
(you''ll probebly notice though that the fist few (1-5) frames on most videos gets rendered early or late but as i explained to total_ass that's normal).
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PAL videos stuttering on PAL Xbox/TV0