Tvheadend
I would simply like to know what the reason was to develop TVheadend?
What exactly was the target?
Should it be a replacement for VDR?
Are there any advantages over VDR, or are these programs not comparable?
Does it maybe fit better to XBMC?

Any explanation welcome. I just want to understand the meaning.
you'll have to ask the developer, andoma. it's not developed by team xbmc if that's what you're thinking. it's an aternative for vdr, mythtv, ...
don't think someone made a comparison between those.

it might be a "better fit" for xbmc because I'm maintaining the tvheadend add-on myself, so it'll be up to date quickly when something changed in xbmc. it normally doesn't take long before the vdr add-on is updated too though. the latest mediaportal add-on is windows-only at the moment and mythtv hasn't been updated for a while.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
josch.hh Wrote:I would simply like to know what the reason was to develop TVheadend?
What exactly was the target?
Should it be a replacement for VDR?
Are there any advantages over VDR, or are these programs not comparable?
Does it maybe fit better to XBMC?

Any explanation welcome. I just want to understand the meaning.

As Dushmaniac said, TVHeadend is just an alternative to VDR, probably the recommended backend due to the level of support it currently has from the XBMC community.

I use VDR but that is a personal preference. I'd say TVHeadend is easier to setup but I feel VDR is more powerful and flexible once you get used to how it works, but it can be a bit of a learning curve if you've not got a good handle on linux and DVB/TV things with linux. There's nothing like the web interface that TVHeadend has (afaik) for VDR. I have definitely had to do a lot of reading and asked a lot of questions on various forums and IRC channels to get my setup as it is now.
Thanks for the information.
I am used to VDR since a few years now and is running stable like hell.
But maybe i will try some alternative, even if have have absolutly no issue with VDR.
Is there anywhere a setup guide for TVheadend?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91716
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tvheadend0